Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:50:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesEDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 112
Print
Author Topic: EDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )  (Read 425319 times)
Nava
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 06:57:54 PM »

Class action lawsuit, anyone?
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »

Class action lawsuit, anyone?

For what?

It's guys like this that give the law a bad name. He's like a games industry Leo Stoller. If he gets a reputation in the courts for bringing frivolous suits like this, he's liable to start racking up sanctions.

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 08:16:39 PM »

Is he somehow connected to Edge magazine?  Because he uses their exact logo, only douched up with bevels:

VERSUS

I can't find any evidence that the fucknuts is connected with Future Publishing even a little bit?

So...wtf?

cup full of magic charisma
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 08:36:30 PM »

uh, time to read the first sentence of Tim's wikipedia entry.  Beer!

eta: it wasn't me, btw. I wish it had been though.
Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 08:45:33 PM »

Is he somehow connected to Edge magazine?

According to their website, under mags/comics, it says for edge magazine "Licensed by EDGE to future publishing". This probably means that EDGE magazine came to an agreement to license the name from EDGE games.

I also have the feeling that the trademark is more towards the word EDGE not necessarily the word Edge.

Of course, the only thing you actually seem to be able to buy from HIS site, is t-shirts from a cafepress store!

http://www.stegersaurus.com - Yet another blog about games
Mega Monster Mania - Procedural, fast paced dungeon running
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 09:04:03 PM »

I wonder how long it will be until he sues this forum for having mentioned EDGE.

Quote from:  Spiderman
JJJ: "Hoffman, run down to the patent office, copyright the name 'Green Goblin.' I want a quarter every time someone says it."

It's pretty much an identical situation, except just remove the word "green". And also remove "goblin". And add a common noun that is a common word in mathematics and the language in general for god's sake I MEAN WHAT THE FUCK?  Angry

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 10:23:23 PM »

Love his wikipedia entry, hope it stays there for a long time:

"Tim Langdell (born ~1953 in Oxford, England) is a video game producer, game programmer and game designer as well as a dick and university professor"

Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 11:23:36 PM »

Shhh... don't use the four-letter word starting on E and ending with E, lest a certain Tim Langdell will be pressing charges against you, your mom, granny and dog.
SpookyCat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 12:57:48 AM »

Just looking at his web site and his video about his upcoming game I saw that he plans on releasing the C64 back catalogue on WiiWare, being the author of one of these games I wonder if hes planning on paying me royalties, mind you never saw a royalty cheques when the game was released. If only I knew a lawyer Smiley

MegaFiers - Mesh Deformation  Animation
MegaShapes - Advanced Spline  Lofting
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2009, 01:17:39 AM »

Seriously though, why does this guy think that the word "edge" is so damn cool? We should just let him have it and make up a new word.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2009, 01:25:11 AM »

My theory is that he OK'd Future to use the name 'edge' without him flipping out and attempting to sue them IF he got to use any graphic designs they did.  Cuz I don't think EDGE magazine has had any fancy red bevels in a long time, and the typography is a little too classy compared to the rest of the dude's site, IMO

cup full of magic charisma
Mipe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2009, 01:26:50 AM »

Edgy fella.
Luilak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2009, 02:25:31 AM »

This made me chuckle.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2009, 02:31:18 AM »

I'd happily challenge this guy in british court. I wouldn't take my chances in a US courtroom. I'm definately caling my next game EDGE though.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2009, 02:58:51 AM »

how about doing a TigSource competition like: "make a game called EDGE"? Well, hello there!

I'll do Revenge of the Edge: Edgepocalypse for sure

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Mipe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2009, 03:02:06 AM »

Or use an acronym as a game name.

E.D.G.E.: Extremely Deadly Gull Explosion
raiten
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2009, 03:04:49 AM »

My theory is that he OK'd Future to use the name 'edge' without him flipping out and attempting to sue them IF he got to use any graphic designs they did.  Cuz I don't think EDGE magazine has had any fancy red bevels in a long time, and the typography is a little too classy compared to the rest of the dude's site, IMO

definitely (and definitely not the other way around). From the gamesetwatch article:

"Overall, the Virginia District Court found a "deliberate strategy [on the part of Edge Interactive] to obfuscate and mislead this Court in order to delay the Court's determination of default." (However, the companies settled confidentially in December 2008 and Langdell now lists 'EDGE game PCs (made by Velocity Micro)' as an 'EDGE branded venture' that he has 'spawned'.)"

Consider how similar this wording (a brand he spawned) to this snippet from http://www.igda.org/board/

"He founded EDGE Games in 1979, which in addition to the many EDGE videogames has spawned such well-known EDGE branded ventures as EDGE Magazine (published by Future), EDGE game PCs (made by Velocity Micro), EDGE-brand comics (published by Malibu/Marvel) and THE EDGE videogame controllers (made by DATEL)."
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 03:20:20 AM by raiten » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2009, 03:11:19 AM »

i think this kind of person is just what happens when you get someone really smart but with very little empathy -- his wikipedia entry also says that besides being a game developer he has degrees in astrophysics and psychology, and he obviously knows his way around law as well. it's a pity to see all that talent going towards what it's going towards.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2009, 03:18:08 AM »

i think this kind of person is just what happens when you get someone really smart but with very little empathy -- his wikipedia entry also says that besides being a game developer he has degrees in astrophysics and psychology, and he obviously knows his way around law as well. it's a pity to see all that talent going towards what it's going towards.

astrophysics and psychology and he does websites for living? (other than lawsuit menacing game developers) He's clearly a failed one at my eyes...

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Corpus
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2009, 03:18:14 AM »

Shakespeare put it best:

Heaven doth with us as we with torches do,
Not light them for themselves; for if our virtues
Did not go before us, 'twere all alike
As if we were Tim Langdell.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 112
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic