Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:30:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesEDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 112
Print
Author Topic: EDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )  (Read 425336 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2009, 03:49:39 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_of_Twilight

This game is already fucked.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2009, 03:57:28 AM »

i think this kind of person is just what happens when you get someone really smart but with very little empathy -- his wikipedia entry also says that besides being a game developer he has degrees in astrophysics and psychology, and he obviously knows his way around law as well. it's a pity to see all that talent going towards what it's going towards.

astrophysics and psychology and he does websites for living? (other than lawsuit menacing game developers) He's clearly a failed one at my eyes...

i suspect that website design site isn't his employment, but just a site he set up so he can sue anyone who uses 'edge' in website design -- his main employment seems to be game developer, he says he's created 180 games

raiten
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2009, 04:02:23 AM »

i suspect that website design site isn't his employment, but just a site he set up so he can sue anyone who uses 'edge' in website design -- his main employment seems to be game developer, he says he's created 180 games

yet there's very little evidence that he has done just that
Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2009, 04:09:44 AM »

patent trolls own and so does this guy
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2009, 04:11:30 AM »

OMG! so tim langdell is Cactus! *screams in fear*

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2009, 04:16:06 AM »

Langdell has been lead producer, designer and writer on all of EDGE's more than 180 games since 1979, as well as assisting with the coding of most of the games he designed. [13]. Among the games Langdell is best known for are:

* Fairlight (1985)
    * Brian Bloodaxe (1985)
    * Garfield: Big Fat Hairy Deal (1987)
    * Snoopy: The Case of the Missing Blanket (1992)

I can't help but Giggle
One'd expect more recent entries in that list.

Edit:
You jinxed it, man... castus used an "edge" word in his post!
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=6461.msg206419#msg206419
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 04:39:55 AM by Mipey » Logged
SaintXi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2009, 05:41:13 AM »

Seems like Future Publishing are re-filing for their own EDGE trademark. I hope they get it!

(They already own several Edge trademarks in the UK)

Part of the problem is the broad way one trademark can splurge out over others. I had trouble registering Curvy3D (Sculpting Software) because of a brand of paint called 'curvy' something or other. Ended up calling my next company something a made up word I couldn't find in google!

I like the LEDGE idea best << N.B. the 'L' Smiley

« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 05:58:38 AM by SaintXi » Logged

mopius
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2009, 06:04:12 AM »

Nah, dickheads, Future and Edge Games are business partners. I bet Future applied for this on behalf of both of them since it looks like Edge applied for the US trademarks on for both of them then divided them up later. And what moron was saying Edge Games took their logo from Edge magazine? Edge Games was around more than a decade before the magazine was launched and the mag took Edge's logo when they jointly launched it. What you fucktards don't seem to get is that obviously Edge and this guy Langdell are in the right, else why would the US trademark office, the US federal court and companies like Namco and Velocity Micro all agree he is right? Talk sense people ... the reality here is that some douchebag in France thought it would be funny to use the Edge brand name from his favorite magazine and got burnt now he's all QQ about being told to stop it. Pathetic. Of course Edge is a protectable trademark, just like Apple. Of course you can protect common words, dickwads. Can you imagine how many hundreds of legal actions and threatening letters Apple must have written over the years to stop people using that word on computers and iPod rip-offs? And you are laying into this guy cos he took action four times in 30 years (and won every time ...)? Get a life. You guys dont seem to realize that the law requires Edge Games to take action against anyone who uses the mark EDGE without their permission. They dont have a choice they have to follow the law. That's the way trademarks work nimwits.

[SaintXi - I checked, Future own all the UK Edge trademarks jointly with Edge Games/Edge Interactive. Looks to me like Future were as much behind asking Mobigame to stop as Langdell was, he was just the smuck who got to write the letters is my guess.]
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 06:07:31 AM by mopius » Logged
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2009, 06:18:07 AM »

Uhh, no, the fact that the courts agree doesn't really mean anything. Courts have made ridiculous decisions before. "Everyone agrees" is not sufficient grounds to "prove" something is right. I'm sure you could find a bunch of people who have no problem with senseless murder, but there will still be a huge crowd that gripes about it (and I'll be in it).
Apple is not doing this. There are plenty of product names that contain the word "apple". And they're not being sued.
It's a common word that people use every day; it's ridiculous to claim ownership of it and remove everyone's right to use it in any official sense.

i think this kind of person is just what happens when you get someone really smart but with very little empathy -- his wikipedia entry also says that besides being a game developer he has degrees in astrophysics and psychology, and he obviously knows his way around law as well. it's a pity to see all that talent going towards what it's going towards.

Chances are good he realizes he's being a moron, but he has no morals whatsoever and just likes messing with people.

Actually, Cactus should put "Edge" in one of his game titles so that this guy can see how inferior his supposed "180 games" are. Tongue
This game should be as bizarre as possible so that it also explodes his brain.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 06:28:30 AM by The Purple Squerkle » Logged

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
mopius
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2009, 06:27:33 AM »

And you guys don't find it at all ironic that he is one of the few indie game developers left from the 1980s? That he didnt sell out when everyone else did? That he funded over 180 indie developers to enable them to make their first games? More people have got their start in this industry thanks to him and you are attacking him? You guys are douchbags for sure.

[Purple -- just because everyone who has had a dispute with him, including big companies who wouldn't give in if he wasnt right, and the USPTO and the Federal Courts, all agree he is right that doesnt mean he is right? Sheesh what does this guy have to do to be 'right' in your eyes. Dance just cos you say dance? And Apple hasnt taken legal action?! Man you are out of it ... Apple has taken hundreds of legal actions, why do you think there are no other computers or MP3 players with the word Apple in them]
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 06:32:34 AM by mopius » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2009, 06:38:15 AM »

Welcome to Tigsource, Cheri Davis Langdell!

mopius
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2009, 06:40:59 AM »

lol ... so everyone who supports this guy is Cheri Davis Langdell. Hahaha .. A new definition of douche, douchebag.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2009, 06:45:07 AM »

I think his claims on degrees in astrophysics and psychology are probably as valid as his claims on owning patents. A.k.a Bullshit.
Also: welcome cheridavis, enjoy your stay.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
SaintXi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2009, 06:50:23 AM »

It is interesting to see Edge (The Magazine) has no mention of Langdell, EdgeGames.com etc
Also while edgegames puts an (R) on the logo, the mag does not.

I checked, Future own all the UK Edge trademarks jointly with Edge Games/Edge Interactive

I would love to know where you get your info, this is not mentioned on the UK or European trading websites.

I own jointly the trademarks to Windows with Bill, I just let him use it without making any reference to me or acknowledging me in any way ever.
Morelike.

mopius
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2009, 07:10:57 AM »

ukipo - all the edge marks are split with Edge Interactive's registrations ending in A and Future's ending in B. Not hard to look up Wink
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2009, 07:29:37 AM »

lol ... so everyone who supports this guy is Cheri Davis Langdell. Hahaha .. A new definition of douche, douchebag.

Let's not rule out that Tim himself has registered. If so, I am honored.  Gentleman
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2009, 07:44:22 AM »

he obviously knows his way around law as well.

I don't know about that--it's pretty damned easy to avoid a default. All you do is show up in the correct courtroom at the correct time. He couldn't even get that right. I think more people should try calling his bluff, frankly.

SaintXi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2009, 07:51:32 AM »

Thanks for the A/B explanation mopius, makes more sense now! I wonder how much this joint venture based purely on a name is worth?

MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2009, 07:53:09 AM »

admins check his ip, it shouldn't be hard to tell from where the asshole is posting.
raiten
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2009, 08:45:05 AM »

i think it's wrong to assume it's Cheri Langdell who wrote the Wikipedia article, seems much more likely it was himself but he used his wife's name assuming nobody would find out her maiden name was Davis (he's obviously not that smart, when he could have used any random nick like say, "mopius")

"That he funded over 180 indie developers to enable them to make their first games? More people have got their start in this industry thanks to him and you are attacking him? You guys are douchbags for sure."

How did mopius find this out, if he weren't Tim himself? He says on the website that he created 180 games (or lets on that he did), not that he funded 180 indie developers. It's not like this Tim guy is so famous that kind of stuff is just common knowledge.

Also, how unlikely is it that a guy that apparently googles himself and his "trademarks" 20 times a day finds a thread about him (considering the TIGSource article shows up on the fourth spot if you google his name, even!)? That would also explain the excessive name-calling.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 112
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic