Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:31:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesEDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 112
Print
Author Topic: EDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )  (Read 425345 times)
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #820 on: July 24, 2009, 09:26:07 PM »

If I were mobigame I'd rename my game "Langdell the asshat". I'm sure it's legal!
Then he'd sue you for slander.

Although I doubt he would win the case, as it's not an inaccurate title.

Nah, Langdell would lose because it's an opinion, not a statement of fact. That's like naming it "Tim Langdell is a Jerk." There isn't an actual thing called an asshat (as far as I know, anyway--and if there were, it would look very silly).

"Beat the Shit Out of Tim Langdell" is arguably a worse choice, as that might bring it closer to IIED territory. Tongue

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #821 on: July 24, 2009, 09:29:03 PM »

If I were mobigame I'd rename my game "Langdell the asshat". I'm sure it's legal!
Then he'd sue you for slander.

Although I doubt he would win the case, as it's not an inaccurate title.

(as far as I know, anyway--and if there were, it would look very silly).

http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Asshat

asshat
This is a hat made from two cheeks. Once you get used to the smell, it's pretty stylish.

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #822 on: July 24, 2009, 09:30:07 PM »

Asshat is a slightly trendier and less severe variation of asshole, graphically describing someone who has his “head up his own ass” (i.e., not knowing what’s going on): one is wearing one’s ass for a hat.

Wikipedia continues:

Asstard is another rarer variant upon the ass- theme. It is possibly a portmanteau of asshole and retard and has almost the same meaning as asshole, but with a greater implied connotation of stupidity.

cup full of magic charisma
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #823 on: July 24, 2009, 10:04:32 PM »

Giggle I would seriously enjoy Answering a defamation complaint and attaching that stuff as an exhibit.

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #824 on: July 25, 2009, 05:00:28 AM »

Giggle I would seriously enjoy Answering a defamation complaint and attaching that stuff as an exhibit.

If I may present to the Jury Exhibit J: *points to chart* The site Urban Dictionary defines the term "Asshat" as "A person, of either gender, whose behavior displays such ignorance/obnoxiousness that you would like to make them wear their own ass as a hat." I don't mean to call Mr. Langdell "ignorant", but the second option is "obnoxious", which accurately describes Mr. Langdell's actions.

Over here is a photo of a Douchebag. Notice the similar shape...

Urban Dictionary also defines "asshat" as: "a unit vector in the ass direction (similar to i hat, a unit vector in the i (or x) direction, j hat, k hat, etc.)"

new Phoenix Wright game?
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #825 on: July 25, 2009, 05:03:01 AM »

candid footage of Langdell's Summer Break:

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #826 on: July 25, 2009, 06:02:03 AM »

Oh...my...God. Epileptic

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #827 on: July 25, 2009, 01:29:05 PM »

The thing that annoys me about all these articles about Tim Langdell is that they all end with the caveat that what Tim is doing is 'technically legal'. The truth is that what Langdell is doing is very much illegal. The trademark laws are a tool to defend your brand, Tim Langdell doesn't have a brand. He has a shell company and that's it. He can't defend nothing using the trademark laws. They don't work that way. And to then ask money to infringe on the trademark takes him into the area of extortion. Surely one of the injured parties has informed the trademark regulators by now? I would have thought that would be there first port of call.

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #828 on: July 25, 2009, 04:31:26 PM »

http://www.pizzahut.com/theedge/?WT.mc_id=063009W7bEDGEWildCardCurrentSite_EDGE

Oddly enough, in the commercial I jsut saw on TV, "Edge" was styled differently, with the sorta lip on the middle part of the E. Does Tim make crappy pizza now?
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #829 on: July 25, 2009, 04:37:30 PM »

suspicious?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #830 on: July 25, 2009, 07:50:02 PM »

The thing that annoys me about all these articles about Tim Langdell is that they all end with the caveat that what Tim is doing is 'technically legal'. The truth is that what Langdell is doing is very much illegal. The trademark laws are a tool to defend your brand, Tim Langdell doesn't have a brand. He has a shell company and that's it. He can't defend nothing using the trademark laws. They don't work that way. And to then ask money to infringe on the trademark takes him into the area of extortion. Surely one of the injured parties has informed the trademark regulators by now? I would have thought that would be there first port of call.

i agree with this, this was mentioned earlier in the discussion too -- it's langdell who is breaking the law, and he could reasonably be charged with extortion, as well as breach of contract for not paying his previous employees for their work

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #831 on: July 25, 2009, 08:29:51 PM »

It's an abuse of the law, at the very least, and I'd agree that it's extortion by my definition.
Dunam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: July 28, 2009, 03:24:33 AM »

I think Tim realized that all this exposure is a great marketing opportunity and has now revamped his site, with a FULL LIST OF EDGE GAMES! Proof of 700+ games by use of counting for every single language/platform combination!

http://www.edgegames.com/

I wonder if he got through college using large fonts and double spacing between lines.
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #833 on: July 28, 2009, 08:39:31 AM »

Was "Earthedge" on his "forthcoming games" section before?  I don't recognize that one, let alone the title he could potentially sue through it.

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: July 28, 2009, 08:49:51 AM »

It must be his foray into the music business:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_of_Earth

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: July 28, 2009, 09:11:32 AM »

It just gets more and more ridiculous.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #836 on: July 28, 2009, 10:48:05 AM »

Just found this comment on my last TL blog:

Chris Morley

25 Jul 2009 at 7:44 am PST

I was Velocity Micro's Director of Product Development in 2006-2007. The Edge gaming PC used to be the Gamers' Edge gaming PC while I was there, and was shortened after I left. This Tim character had jack all to do with it. In fact, I had never heard of this guy before this blog post, but I did notice that earlier in this year there was a "EDGE is the trademark of Edge Games, Inc. Used under license." at the bottom of their gaming page.

Now, I'm not a big fan of my old employer, but this is total BS.

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/AdamSaltsman/20090711/2371/Bytes_Tim_Langdell_at_it_again.php#comments

cup full of magic charisma
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #837 on: July 28, 2009, 02:18:10 PM »

Facepalm Oh shit guys, someone else gave in to Tim's demands.

Copyright 2008 EDGEGAMERS® All rights reserved. EDGEGAMERS® is the registered trademark of Edge Games, Inc.. Used under license.

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
Oddbob
« Reply #838 on: July 29, 2009, 05:31:39 AM »

From the Develop thread:

Oh dear… Tim is still at it! He has been doing this for years.

The Tim Langdell Troll Guide

1.Find’s potential trademark infringement using ‘EDGE’ or ‘Masters of the Game’
2. Makes up some IP with similar name to entice the developer/publisher to take proceedings or use as evidence including some made up screen shots/logo’s or mock ups probably done by students
3.Even makes up merchandise as part of the evidence because it’s cheap to make and is hard to prove in court when it was conceived, not sure this has worked for him as yet?
4.Uses hand drawn scribble documents as evidence and hand dates it if it looks like it may go to court
5.Threatens legal action knowing full well most will settle out of court apart from a few bigger publishers which challenged him and won!
6.Makes agreements with them to settle out of court using his ‘EDGE’ license so then he can plagiarism them and adds their product to his website and claims he invented or worked with them to create the IP.
7.Updates his website with his new additional ‘EDGE’ brand
8.Builds his empire from the hard work of others staking claim to it!
9.Why pay when you can get it for free!

Whilst I was working at the Edge they did not create any hardware devices we only developed software.

Whilst the Edge/Softek international was a publisher I don’t think they owned the rights to many of the games Tim Langdell is claiming, it has been mentioned that ‘Edge’ do not own the rights to Bobby Bearing and I bleave this may be the case with many of the titles.

The reason the back catalogue has many titles, these were part of a budget range called ‘The Micro Selection’ again I think these were licensed and he is claiming them as ‘Edge’ owned IP. The only way we will know is if the developers of these titles are still around as the original publishers such as Anco are long gone.

The Edge also claim it used to be a distributor of ‘Sega’ hardware, the only distribution deal I know of was the one Sega had with Ariolasoft, they were in Covent Garden in fact around the corner from the offices in Southampton Street could this be another exaggerated fact concocted by Tim Langdell?

I am also lead to believe when ‘EDGE’ moved to the states, developers were not the only people that lost out on what he owed them…

Sounds about right...
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #839 on: July 31, 2009, 12:42:11 AM »

Here's a particularly nasty cease and desist letter that Edge sent to Velocity Micro:

Added that as well as the above quote to the Tim Langdell/Edge Games page.

There's another interesting comment on the Develop article:

If memory serves me correct isn't it Mr Langdell who has a restricting order against him in Santa Monica for stalking a beautiful actress (very weird story) and he was thrown out of BAFTA LA because of it I believe? (I read the papers in Santa Monica). Most people in video games will not have anything to do with him. He was an intensley disliked figure in the 80's. I think in the UK you call these people Vexatious Litigants. Something usually tips them over The Edge eventually!

Okay, that could be complete bullshit, but how would one confirm whether there is or isn't a restraining order against Tim?  Or if Tim was ever "thrown out" of BAFTA/LA.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 03:15:20 PM by Derek » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 112
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic