Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:00:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesEDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 112
Print
Author Topic: EDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )  (Read 422236 times)
jstckr
Level 7

ilu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #860 on: August 03, 2009, 01:19:27 AM »

Probably "Please, pleeeaaase let me go now! What have I done to you? Lemme goooo" followed by a loud sobbing sound.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #861 on: August 03, 2009, 05:14:59 AM »

Having followed this story from the start I'm coming to the conclusion that Tim Langdell may suffer from Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Without a proper evaluation there is no way to be sure, but from the information we have he does exhibit the most of the nine signs associated with the condition. NPD is a very serious condition and sufferers can become very angry and even violent if their lies are challenged.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #862 on: August 03, 2009, 05:29:42 AM »

seems like langdgell copyrighted "Racers" as well, and... there's a game in development called Edgeracers by Twofish, Inc  http://www.edgeracers.com/

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
raiten
« Reply #863 on: August 03, 2009, 06:08:43 AM »

There's just no end to this. Next thing we dig up on him will probably be a murder  Shocked
MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 03, 2009, 06:20:35 AM »

For god's sake, frontpage that, everybody deserves to know that Langdell is not only a extortionist and a money stealing fuck, he's also a sicko who stalks younger girls.
 Facepalm
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #865 on: August 03, 2009, 07:58:48 AM »

A couple more trademarks for the Edge info page:
  • EarthEdge - US filed 2006/12/21
  • Magic Edge - US filed 1997/04/30 (now dead)
  • Soul Edge - US filed 1997/04/30 (Now dead)
  • Cutting Edge - US filed ??/??/?? (Was owned by Marvel but now owned by Tim)

The EarthEdge trademark was originally owned by John Monroe Pafford, Jr. but after some legal wrangling that I couldn't understand it ended up in Tim's catalogue. The original filing was for mobile and virtual reality games and websites. Couldn't find any more out about Mr. Pafford so who knows what he was working on.

Also in Tim's registration for the Edge trademark he provides two examples of his use of the mark. One specimen is the Edge photoshoping job shown earlier in this thread, and the other is a really bad mock-up of a Bobby Baring mobile phone game box. As far as I can tell neither of these products are real, and the Edge magazine cover is proven to be a fake. So Tim has lied to the USPTO in order to get his Edge trademark, and that's grounds to revoke his trademark and can even result in prosicution. I'll upload the .pdf when I'm at home so people can confirm I'm reading it right.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 08:04:19 AM by Oddball » Logged

Oddbob
« Reply #866 on: August 03, 2009, 09:16:54 AM »

Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-edge-of-reason?page=1

Includes some of the dialogue between "a representative of Edge who just happens to be called Tim Langdell but obviously he has nothing personally to do with it" and David.

Beautifully played by Simon Parkin, has to be said.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #867 on: August 03, 2009, 09:25:02 AM »

One: change the name of your game to something that does not contain the word EDGE in it within the next 7 calendar days. Two: License the right to use the trademark ‘EDGE’ from us.

If you decide to take option 1, then we would need payment for your use of the trademark to the day you change the name. We propose 25 per cent of the revenues you have received from the game to the day you stop using our mark. If you decide to take option 2, then [you would need to add] a subtitle such as “EDGE: An Homage to Bobby Bearing” and to add our company name (EDGE Games Inc) immediately below yours in the opening screen.

Hand Thumbs Down Left Tiger Hand Thumbs Down Right
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #868 on: August 03, 2009, 09:32:58 AM »

So the person who is "not Tim Langdel" claims it's Edge acting as a corporation.  I would be interested to see if they really filed articles of incorporation, and who the shareholders are.

[Edit]
Found stuff:

Edge Games, Corporation:
http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/corpdata/ShowAllList?QueryCorpNumber=C2767367

interesting - Edge Games, LLC:
http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/corpdata/ShowLpllcAllList?QueryLpllcNumber=200514310288

Also, an order form to get Edge Games's business records:
http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/pdf/be_ircform.pdf
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 09:41:21 AM by Markham » Logged

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: August 03, 2009, 09:45:40 AM »

One: change the name of your game to something that does not contain the word EDGE in it within the next 7 calendar days. Two: License the right to use the trademark ‘EDGE’ from us.

If you decide to take option 1, then we would need payment for your use of the trademark to the day you change the name. We propose 25 per cent of the revenues you have received from the game to the day you stop using our mark. If you decide to take option 2, then [you would need to add] a subtitle such as “EDGE: An Homage to Bobby Bearing” and to add our company name (EDGE Games Inc) immediately below yours in the opening screen.

Hand Thumbs Down Left Tiger Hand Thumbs Down Right

Wow, just... wow.

Honestly, if he hadn't actually won some of these cases, this would just seem to be a pitiful case of a man plunging into a self-deluded madness, but since he has, it's hard to feel pity for him.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Ninomojo
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #870 on: August 03, 2009, 09:50:04 AM »

WOW at the restraining order. So in fact, he IS just a complete waste of skin...

Oddbob
« Reply #871 on: August 03, 2009, 10:45:57 AM »

@Derek, yeah, kinda puts the pisser on any claims that it's not extortion!

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #872 on: August 03, 2009, 10:55:08 AM »

So what does it take to push this to the point where it actually makes a difference?

Can we somehow all chip in to hire a lawyer?  Kiss

bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: August 03, 2009, 11:29:59 AM »

Honestly, if he hadn't actually won some of these cases, this would just seem to be a pitiful case of a man plunging into a self-deluded madness, but since he has, it's hard to feel pity for him.
To this day, Tim Langdell's company has won absolutely no trademark related cases in any court of law.

@Derek, yeah, kinda puts the pisser on any claims that it's not extortion!
It's only extortion if the threat being made is enforceable. This isn't the case with the empty buffoonery Langdell is trying to pass off as trademark law.

Papazian claims that Langdell always emailed on a Friday afternoon, setting an ultimatum for the Monday so that Mobigame could take no legal counsel over the weekend before responding.
This is approaching stupidity. The man was getting legal threats and couldn't get a lawyer within the week? Bullshit. Papazian acted like a little child. At least his current lawyer seems to know what he's talking about.
The only upside is that Papazian can ultimately sue EDGE games for loss of income and personal damages, making up what he's lost till now and still release his game.

Edit: It has come to my attention that Papazian DID seek legal aid and act according to it. My criticism of his inaction to do so was undeserved.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 06:03:42 PM by bigbossSNK » Logged
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #874 on: August 03, 2009, 11:33:44 AM »

Can we somehow all chip in to hire a lawyer?  Kiss

From the Eurogamer article:
This month, following Apple's banning of the game, Sheridans Solicitors in London have taken up Mobigames' case. I ask Alex Chapman, the lawyer dealing with the case the million-dollar (plus legal fees) question.

"Mobigame's position is that the trademarks owned by Mr. Langdell's companies are not enforceable against Mobigame or any third party in respect of the distribution of the EDGE game," he replies. "There are two main reasons for this. First, there is unlikely to be any confusion or association between them and Mobigame's game and secondly Mobigame's position is that some of those registrations are liable to be revoked ."

Hand ClapGrin
They totally should ask for volunteers to personally deliver documents straight to Edge Games.

Oddbob
« Reply #875 on: August 03, 2009, 11:49:18 AM »

This is approaching stupidity. The man was getting legal threats and couldn't get a lawyer within the week? Bullshit. Papazian acted like a little child. At least his current lawyer seems to know what he's talking about.
The only upside is that Papazian can ultimately sue EDGE games for loss of income and personal damages, making up what he's lost till now and still release his game.

You do know that lawyers tend to y'know, be at home at weekends with the courts not being open and stuff, right? Not all of them do "on call" either.

If they are on call, then it's going to cost you more. So unless you're Captain Bottomlesspitofmoney it's not always feasible.
bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: August 03, 2009, 12:04:11 PM »

You do know that lawyers tend to y'know, be at home at weekends with the courts not being open and stuff, right? Not all of them do "on call" either.
Being a lawyer myself, I'm kinda savvy to that fact. My point is, if you get a legal threat on Friday afternoon, you can still seek legal advice on the coming Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. If Papazian had done so, his exchanges with Langdell would have had a completely different tone, as he would have the upper hand, instead of acting like a frightened child.

If they are on call, then it's going to cost you more. So unless you're Captain Bottomlesspitofmoney it's not always feasible.
You don't need to mortgage your house for a 1 hour consult with a lawyer. That's just a myth circulated from people who have never sought legal advice. And if you just want to learn your rights, the Chilling Effects group lays it down plain and simple, right here, free of charge.
Oddbob
« Reply #877 on: August 03, 2009, 12:19:09 PM »

I'm not especially disagreeing with you (and I certainly didn't suggest you had to mortgage your house or similar, just implying that not everyone has money to throw at lawyers...).

I think you're misreading it - the ultimatum was for the Monday after. Y'know Friday - Saturday, Sunday, Monday. So it's weekend or naught. So a consultancy mid week is kinda null. Of course he could have took counsel at potentially some expense but...

...mainly, people do act scared and frightened in situations like this. It's all very well judging from afar with the knowledge you have on the subject, but people shit bricks over much less than this. That's people for you - they don't always do what might seem sensible and rational to you.
bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: August 03, 2009, 12:38:54 PM »

not everyone has money to throw at lawyers...
True, but if you're in a situation where legal action is threatened, you have no excuse for not seeking legal advice (or seeking perfectly valid information for free on the net)

I think you're misreading it - the ultimatum was for the Monday after.
Yes, each ultimatum was supposed to relate to a specific weekend. But according to the article, this went on for more than one weekend. If Papazian asked for legal advice within the week, as anyone who's looking at a "multi-million law-suit" is rationally going to do, he could have avoided a large portion of this mess.

Don't get me wrong, Langdell is a buffoon (the Eurogamer article calling him business savvy is laughable), and Papazian can cover his losses and then some if his lawyer is somewhat competent, but he let a situation fester instead of taking control of it.
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #879 on: August 03, 2009, 12:57:50 PM »

the Eurogamer article calling him business savvy is laughable
I dunno, even if there's no legal basis behind his extortion, the fact that he's able to so effectively exploit peoples' ignorance of the law for so many years is... a certain KIND of savvy.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 112
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic