Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:03:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallflixel
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: flixel  (Read 24598 times)
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« on: June 05, 2009, 01:31:02 AM »

http://flixel.org/

What is flixel?

flixel is a free Actionscript (Flash) library that I distilled from a variety of Flash games that I've worked on over the last couple years, including Gravity Hook and FathomIt's primary function is to provide some useful base classes that you can extend to make your own game objects.

For example, FlxGame.as provides a basic game object that includes global volume control and a way to manage gameplay states.  FlxSprite.as provides a bunch of collision code, velocity and acceleration options, and an optimized render path (approx. 10x faster than the normal Flash vector renderer).  FlxEmitter.as provides a class for quickly and easily creating cool particle effects.

flixel comes with full documentation for the API and a sparsely commented example game, free for partial, full, personal and commercial use.

Some of flixel's native features include:

• Really fast renderer (5000+ sprites on modern PCs)
• Tilemaps
• Particle systems
• Global volume control with hotkeys
• Parallax scrolling
• Fullscreen mode (BETA)
• Collide sprites against almost anything (even textboxes)
• Text rendering
• Retro style zoomed rendering options (2x pixels, 3x pixels, etc)
• Does not require the Flash IDE, works best with free tools like FlashDevelop
• Organizational classes like game states
• Simple buttons
• Utilities for looping music and playing sound FX
• Simple special effects like screen flashes and fades

Who can use flixel?

Anybody!  flixel is released with the MIT License, which as far as I understand it means you can use any of these files for anything you want, commercial or not.  You only need to redistribute the license if you are redistributing source code that includes any of my work, because the license has that clause for like "if this messes up your computer then you can't blame me" or whatever.

Can I use X, Y or Z flash modules/plugins/classes/extensions with flixel?

As far as I know, yes.  As long as they are Actionscript 3 compatible, they should work fine.  If they are based on Movieclips instead of Sprites, you may have to do some fiddling, but flixel is just a framework that sits on top of flash.display.sprite, so you can do pretty much whatever you want (including using normal Flash widgets like text inputs, etc).

Special Thanks to...

Ivan Safrin created nanodoc, tested flixel, and a couple years ago taught me Actionscript.

Danny B created all the music for Gravity Hook, Fathom, and Mode, and he also created the signature flixel logo riff.  One of the few humans I can stand to collaborate with!

Bekah is my oh-so-hot wife, who for some reason tolerates the insane amount of free time that I spend making games, and was especially cool about The Flixel Weekend, where I built all of v1.0 and mode in about 2 days.

Farbs explained how to get rid of some really nasty hacks in the flixel code.

Obviously big thanks to the flixel community for all the feedback, bug checks, suggestions, tutorials, and good vibes.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 11:54:50 AM by AdamAtomic » Logged

cup full of magic charisma
Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 01:58:02 AM »

This is awesome!

I just dropped this in an empty FlashDevelop project, and it worked straight away (FD users: Compile Mode.as, not Preloader.as, as you would normally). I'd love to start coding with this right now but Uni work calls! After looking over it quickly it looks very nice - can't wait to get something running in it.

Thanks Smiley

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 01:58:55 AM »

Adam Saltsman, you big awesome man, you.
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 02:02:48 AM »

This is awesome!

I just dropped this in an empty FlashDevelop project, and it worked straight away (FD users: Compile Mode.as, not Preloader.as, as you would normally). I'd love to start coding with this right now but Uni work calls! After looking over it quickly it looks very nice - can't wait to get something running in it.

Thanks Smiley

Cagey that is totally F'ing wonderful news!!  Even if its a very simple process would you consider taking a few screenshots and making a little thread about it on the flixel help forums?

EDIT - wow that was fast derek o_O  I hope it doesn't disappoint!!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 02:09:29 AM by AdamAtomic » Logged

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 02:07:03 AM »

This looks incredibly awesome and I am glad there's a weekend ahead so I can get a bit intimate with this thing.
Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 02:22:55 AM »

Here you go. Might be worth uploading the images to your server. Not entirely sure about the current host...

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 02:30:04 AM »

Here you go. Might be worth uploading the images to your server. Not entirely sure about the current host...

Kiss  I rehosted em and then linked your tutorial into the pinned resources thread, thanks so much for your help!

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 03:00:11 AM »

I am so trying this. Reinstalling the Flex SDK and whatnot as I type.

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 03:08:47 AM »

Hallelujah! Praise the lord!

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 06:28:43 AM »

Now this is great news. I've been waiting for the release since I found out that Gravity runs on it and now it's time to take a close look under the hood. Thank you! Smiley

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 07:03:51 AM »

Haha wow I don't understand much of anything in this. You guys should make a basic tutorial Gentleman

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 07:11:46 AM »

I went through the example game and basically recreated it step by step in a new project, while checking the documentation on what the different functions and classes do.

I really love it. Good job on this one Beer!
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 08:20:38 AM »

Andy, it is then time for you to write a tutorial for it on as3forgames.net Beer!

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 09:16:07 AM »

A tiny bit of constructive criticism...

It would probably be cooler to have a generic system for making fullscreen or otherwise global effects rather than just have a handful of hard-coded ones. I am digging through the source and notice that the quake, flash, etc. effects are just influencing variables that trickle down to the global update loop. Being able to code your own without having to delve into this code would be neat... perhaps there is a way and I'm just not familiar enough with the framework yet.

Still, it's very awesome you've got those effects built-in at all, good show! Gentleman

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 09:36:25 AM »

Does this by any chance perchance work with Flash Lite? Just checking.

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 09:40:14 AM »

nihilicrat - I agree, that would be a cool thing to add if I can figure out a decent interface for it

I am pretty sure that it is NOT compatible with flash lite

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 09:53:22 AM »

Just peeking over the documentation to see what's new/useful for it.

What's the point of the "add" function in your array class? Isn't it the same as push?
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 10:23:05 AM »

It will replace null array entries if possible, to avoid resizing the array

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW