Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:19:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsEdge Tycoon [Complete]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Edge Tycoon [Complete]  (Read 22535 times)
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 05:50:56 PM »

It's done! Download link is in the first post. Enjoy!

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 06:19:15 PM »

GLEEFISH
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 07:15:06 PM »

Another one! Aaah, too good.

Difficult being Tim Lungfish, though. Tell me, is there a way to make easy money if you're in a pinch and your sales run out? Or is it that once you drop below $100000 you're doomed?

Beer! Beer! Beer!
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2009, 07:59:40 PM »

Wow. I had no idea it was so hard being Tim Langdell. I feel sorry for him now. Anyone want to help me write a formal apology?

That bastard Judge Cactus just cheated me out of 500k and a promising franchise.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 08:19:56 PM by Gold Cray » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2009, 09:15:47 PM »

The game crashed on me when I tried trademarking "Handicap". I don't remember everything I had, but my ego was around the 200-300 mark, nearly 1 million bucks, and over the 20th turn.

And I must say, I feel like shit now. Seriously, meticulously setting up the exploitation and downfall of hard-working developers did make me feel like a massive dick. Maybe I'm overreacting, but this certainly gets one of my votes.

Beer! Not like I expected less from the man who gave us Macarena.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2009, 09:43:59 PM »

I've noticed a bug a couple of times where a new game is replicated:

I love it, but the challenge curve seems to go the wrong way.

Edit:
...up until it crashed, just after this point, around turn 250.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 10:22:09 PM by Radix » Logged
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2009, 11:01:14 PM »

@Gainsworthy: Thanks! Yeah, lawsuits are the only way to make money. You're pretty much doomed unless someone releases a game with one of your pre-existing trademarks, while you're slowly bleeding out at legal strength 10.

@Melly: Glad to hear it had the intended effect. Grin

Hrm. Not sure why it would crash. At least that early. What are your machine's stats? Might try compiling it in the MMF Hardware-Accelerated beta as a last resort to try and gain some performance.

@Radix:  Shocked

Crap. Looks like I still need to balance it to take into account magnitude of lump sums in addition to percentage of a company's wealth. Maybe make a company's wealth drop faster proportional to the games in active development or slow down the rate of game releases. At the very least, I should make the turn 125 event a little more damaging. The game uses way too many objects and loops for MMF to handle around turn 175, and I'm guessing this bloat caused Radix's crash, hence my desire to try and end it before then. Also found another object scope bug where the given popularity and sequel potential is wrong when you're prompted by your lawyer before a settlement. Sad

Edit: Also thought I had code to prevent a repeated name... Looking into that, too.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 11:16:50 PM by Noyb » Logged

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2009, 12:04:31 AM »

My tip is giving up on that MMF crap and using something better.

At least I'm fairly certain the only thing that limits Game Maker is the computer's hardware. (which admittedly can run out quickly if you're not good at using it)

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2009, 01:06:09 AM »

Haha, yeah. This project convinced me to give up Clickteam products. So many goddamn times I had to find a workaround for when the stupid thing would sometimes choose the last created object instead of the object whose internal values actually matched the conditions, or all objects regardless of if they match the conditions.

It's like if you had
Code:
for(int i = 0; i < objects.length; i++)
{
   if(objects[i].value == 3)
       objects[i].isSomething = true;
}

randomly give the same behavior as

Code:
{
       objects[objects.length - 1].isSomething = true;
}

or even funnier

Code:
{
   {
       for(Object o : objects)
           o.isSomething = true;
    }
}

You don't want to know how much pain I went through to get collisions working between two moving instances of the same object in a platformer engine. "Box a is overlapping Box b" doesn't let you reference or set restrictions on b in any way (unless those restrictions also apply to a). Epileptic

Then again, what am I supposed to expect from a "programming language" which didn't officially support loops until the 1.5 release of the third iteration.  Shrug

Anywho, updated the game. Probably didn't fix the crash bug Melly had, but I implemented the changes I discussed in the previous post, which should prevent Tom Lungfish from living happily ever after. I believe the reason for the repeated names was because I forgot to make the title format list 0-based, but let me know if that keeps happening.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 01:45:50 AM by Noyb » Logged

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2009, 07:08:12 AM »

Yeah, the more I hear about MMF the more I think it's crazy anyone would want to use it.

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 06:43:10 PM »

Noyb, you're the best, you made me laugh so hard today. This game is the perfect Tim Langdell simulator. I tried different approaches, and the best way to play is truly to act like an asshole and wait at the last moment to litigate, preying on the legally weak and talented. It's funny, because it's true.
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2009, 03:08:24 PM »

Beer! Not like I expected less from the man who gave us Macarena.
I second that Beer!
With the power of a proper programming language
there would be NO END TO HIS AWESOMENESS...
AHHW GAWWD

Seriously, his games always make me laugh a lot.
Like ...real laughing, not like typing "hahaha" with a poker face.
Also his improvised lines for "The Duke" were funny as hell.

Cheers!
-Martín

Working on HeliBrawl
Zoggles
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2009, 01:21:43 PM »

Great game, but perhaps gives a little bit too much credit to Dim Langdell in that it's pretty hard to survive initially - then gets easier - then get's downright impossible thanks to Derek Yu blogging and putting exposes all over the internet (not to mention other fan clubs getting riled up)

Would be nice to have a few more bits of 'info' showing (i.e. turn when a word was trademarked, and something on those titles you are getting royalties off - eg the %), otherwise it's simply fantastic Smiley Great piece of work.

I managed to get to about turn 130something and just about become a millionaire.. but downhill very quickly from that point onwards!

-Z-
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic