Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:51:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesLooking Back on Muslim Massacre
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27
Print
Author Topic: Looking Back on Muslim Massacre  (Read 67627 times)
Sigvatr
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2009, 06:36:54 AM »

Last year I released a computer game I put together in a number of weeks called "Muslim Massacre", which unsurprisingly ended up plastering my face all over newspapers, TV sets and death lists all around the world. After a few weeks worth of drama, hundreds of death threats and a humbling real life encounter with some ambiguous Australian government officials, I decided enough was enough and took the game and website off of the internet, all in the meanwhile never having really explained in much depth what the purpose of the game was and what my thoughts behind the development and release of the game. Now that the attention has died down, I think I'll step forward and say what I have to say.

After the release of the game, I tried to avoid stating much about the game pretty much anywhere. The small things I did drop on forums here and there ended up being taken up by the media and turned into the entire purpose of the game. When I stated that I enjoyed making the game and I thought it was fun to play, I wasn't lying, but when that's the only quote that gets printed in a newspaper, it makes me seem like I am some racist cunt who hates Muslims and there is nothing else to it. I purposely tried to avoid making many statements about the game because I didn't want to tell people how to think or how to interpret the game. If I told people what the purpose behind the game was, barely anyone would have played it and that kind of defeats the point.

I never started working on the game intending for it to have some kind of "deeper meaning" as many people put it; although that is not to say that there was never one behind it. I don't think I would be able to explain my actions without first explaining my viewpoints on life, society and all of that other serious conversation crap. Without trying to come across like a huge cock like a lot of people who write about philosophy on their blogs do, my world is one where one's fulfillment in life comes from the self and as a result of one's own actions. I believe this is a fairly common belief amongst people around the world and I'm not trying to sound like some guru or some crap by saying that. I've had a lot of bad shit done to me by people during my life, but I don't dwell on it or let it consume me.

I think most people in life have a perceived "enemy" in society that they use as a grounding to base their own position amongst their peers in the universe. Even the fucking Dalai Lama does this. People lump a generalized sum of the human species together glued together by some attitude that they despise and think to themselves, "This is my enemy, and I am not one of them." You can probably conjure up an image of some weed smoking hippie talking about how he doesn't have any enemies, but really, everyone secret despises someone and justifies themselves as an individual by opposing that enemy.

My enemies are not Muslims, America or the media. My enemies are people who pin their unhappiness and problems on other people. It might be the government, parents, cops or maybe just some guy on the internet making a game that offends you. These are my enemies and I am not one of them.

At around the time I started making Muslim Massacre, I was going through a transition in my life where I was beginning to accept responsibility for myself and my actions, as adolescents in their parents basements tend to do (eventually). And, ultimately, the creation of Muslim Massacre for me was a ritual in justifying myself to myself. To distinguish myself in my own mind from qualities and attitudes that I do not want for myself, I created and released this game.

To me, the entire Muslim Massacre drama was completely irrelevant to the grand scheme of life. So are wars in the Middle East, so is the news and so is fame. There is chaos going on all around the world causing people anguish every day and this has been going on for millions of years. If you look at yourself in the grand scheme of time and space, you will see yourself absorbed in this enormous bubble of never ending drama. Some people try and get rid of that bubble or make it smaller, but it continues to grow. Some people are addicted to that bubble because there is nothing going on inside of themselves that they can nurture. Turmoil is a natural consequence of human existence. I simply walked out of that bubble. If you got your panties in a bunch over Muslim Massacre, well, I'm not sorry, but I feel sorry for you. Muslim Massacre is a grand experiment in making you upset, because ultimately you just love being in that bubble, so eat it up.

Unlike some other controversial computer games in recent times that were otherwise motivated towards progress, I never attempted to draw attention to some of society's many ills with Muslim Massacre. In fact, the project was based on an entirely different level, one where these supposed ills are made redundant and entirely irrelevant.

So there you go. A young lad's personal journey on the exploration of self resulted in the whole world getting butt hurt. Muslim Massacre is the expression of my disgust and abandonment of society's supposed development at the realization that we all remain irrevocably human regardless of our standing amongst our brethren.

In retrospect, the people I actually respect the most out of this whole fiasco are the people who completely disregarded it.

Pleasingly to me, a lot more people than just Muslims were offended by the game. I think that is a good thing. My intent was never to specifically offend Muslims, although I did acknowledge that that was inevitable. I did intend on offending as many people as possible, but hey, there really is no deeper meaning behind that. Almost everything I have ever done on the internet is offensive, and I think things that are offensive are hilarious, so Muslim Massacre really is not special in that regard. I realized the entire Muslim stigma issue was a cultural sensitivity at the time and I realized it was ripe for plucking. If I were to embark on this journey again today, it would probably be something completely different.

So ultimately, there was no deeper meaning to be found in Muslim Massacre. It was simply a case of me vomiting some garbage on the internet so I could get it out of my system and move on with life. Some people make art to convey something to other people, but I make art to convey something to myself. If the entire world is going to tilt on its axis for my sake, then I suppose that's something I'll just have to learn to accept.

I probably could have left Muslim Massacre on the net forever, but it was complicated by a huge number of issues. Saudi Arabian hackers, genuine threats to me and my family (as in, they posted our residential addresses to prove they knew where we lived), ASIO getting shitty with me and so on. Ultimately, the reason I took the game down was because people were spinning it towards agendas I didn't want to support, namely the whole free speech versus cultural sensitivity issue. I'm not some kind of guide for the human race, I'm just following my own path through life and I'd rather let the world continue going on the way it has for billions of years and just focus on what I'm doing.

However, I realized that taking the game down from my site wouldn't do shit because it was all over the internet by that time, although I did want to send a message to people that I wasn't interested in dabbling in their political affairs (pretty much because I thought they were retarded).

As a game, I actually think it's a nice, polished and fun piece of work, especially if you share the same sense of humor that I do.

It's not very often that I post a frank, honest article like this on the internet and I'm quite sure a million trolls can't wait to sink their teeth into this one. But hey, trolling is a ball, so go nuts.

And if it wasn't clarified above, no, I don't hate Muslims.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 06:59:09 AM »

nothing unexpected here, but thanks for the write-up

genericuser
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 07:07:40 AM »

I think most of the drama came from the fact that it's hard to understand the intent behind stuff on the Internet;
how do you tell the real idiots/racists from the people who have a deeper meaning behind their (fake) idiocy/racism?
Corpus
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 07:11:09 AM »

I think most people in the indie games 'community' assumed pretty much all of the above. This write-up would be better handed to the media.

Anyway, "no man is an island".

EDIT: genericuser, it didn't have a deeper meaning.
genericuser
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 07:17:48 AM »

Corpus: Exactly - while I don't think sigvatr deserved all the negative attention he got, it shouldn't be unexpected when you don't do anything to explain the intent behind.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 07:29:16 AM »

I don't think sigvatr deserved that negative attention either, but if you make a game called "muslim massace" or "christians massacre" or "black guys massacre" or something along this line you need to expect such reactions. Even if the game was a sort of parody of an action b-movie featuring pixel art, content doesn't matter for the media, the title explains everything for them, you did a racist game and you got the superficial rage of the mass.
Also as genericuser said, the game has no explanation, it was not a clear parody like that whales murder simulator or that Faith Fighter, it was only a game where you're a white dude shooting stereotypes of muslim people. It was quite stupid also because of that.

Sorry to hear you got threats and such nasty problems anyway, but i think it was mainly your fault.

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Movius
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 07:50:15 AM »

I don't think sigvatr deserved that negative attention either, but if you make a game called "muslim massace" or "christians massacre" or "black guys massacre" or something along this line you need to expect such reactions.
Say what you will about the rest of the reaction. ASIO* agents turning up at your doorstep for making a game is probably not something anyone would expect.

* for the uninitiated ASIO = Australian equivalent of MI5/CIA/etc.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 07:59:27 AM »

actually wrong -- don't you know about scientology pwned? the same stuff happened with them. fbi and all. so it could have been expected based on that prototype, and that's one that occurred in recent memory too

Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 08:01:41 AM »

hey i didnt read your words but theres absolutely no way you didnt know what was going to happen. also your dick tuck was funny.
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 08:26:51 AM »

If I told people what the purpose behind the game was, barely anyone would have played it and that kind of defeats the point.

You got precisely what you were after;  you wanted to offend people as much as possible in order to get increased exposure for your game.

Honestly, I find it difficult to believe that anyone could be so naive as to be at all surprised by the outcome.
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 08:31:17 AM »

You should make another Muslim Massacre game, just replace Muslim with Man and the muslim sprites with generic human sprites.

See where I'm going? Killing pixel people is okay, as long as they aren't wearing those tiny jew caps, turbans, afro or whatever. Ugh.

Also, what about all those games depicting at least one underdog faction as villains that have to be shot dead to the last man? I am annoyed by games where you have to kill 10000 Serbians, for example, or 1000000 Nazis or maybe 10000000000000000 redcoats. I dare say that 99.99% of them weren't evil or anything like that, they had their families, lives, hobbies, cats and dogs, but they got drafted or something and were forced to enter service.

You could be that soldier assigned to guard the prison cell with an american prisoner deep in the Castle Wolfenstein.

And the player has license to slaughter them all without second thought.

I am against ANY SORT of demonization. So yeah, I'd scoff at "Muslim Massacre", but I wouldn't take it seriously. It is just a game, just like that Bowling for Columbine RPG (or something). There is WAY more insensitive stuff out there on actual bookshelves.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 08:34:38 AM by Mipey » Logged
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 09:20:57 AM »

You suck, sigvatr.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 09:27:39 AM »

You suck, sigvatr.

haha

i think the worst part about this post is how it looks down on everyone. looks down on people who got offended, down on people who write about philosophy in their blogs, down on everyone but himself. it all strikes me as the writing of someone who basically at heart does not like other people very much at all.

however, what i liked about the post was the idea of riling things up just for the sake of it. i think taking people out of their comfort zones is admirable. but i just wish it were done with benevolence in one's heart rather than spite

Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 09:42:57 AM »

trollin folks is cool but then you had to go and be a pussy and be all Borweheorhoenom But There Was An Artistic Statement... I Swear It! How Did THis Ever Happen!?
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 09:55:51 AM »

I think your "The Crisis in the Middle East is totally irrelevant" argument is a bit flawed by the fact that nuclear weaponry now makes any world-wide crisis possibly indicative of nuclear apocalypse. It gives me at least the slightest reason to pay attention to what's going on over there.
Sigvatr
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 11:18:37 AM »

I think it is pretty much impossible for me to create anything that won't make someone angry, even a forum post.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 11:22:55 AM »

You reached the apex too early, and didn't make any money doing it! You are a cautionary tale. Next time, even if you pass it off as some sort of political motive, then you will have someone championing you. You pissed off those who wanted to go to bat for you, in the end no one was on your side.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 11:31:59 AM »

who says he didn't make money? maybe his site had ads and such

Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 11:37:39 AM »

I think it is pretty much impossible for me to create anything that won't make someone angry, even a forum post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvMam5wsZIk&#t=1m40s
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009, 11:39:56 AM »

What? Wasn't that game 100% pure sarcasm? Did muslims get angry at you? It was a game about how stupid and clueless americans are in their viewpoints of the middle east conflict, wasn't it?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic