Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:12:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsGAMMA (Moderator: fish)Bloody Zombies
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Bloody Zombies  (Read 37627 times)
gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: October 31, 2007, 07:59:37 PM »

My submission to the Gamma 256 event: Bloody Zombies. I really should have done this game for the B-Game competition.

Bloody Zombies, the goriest game ever made in the glorious 128 x 96 resolution! Fight zombies with your lawn mower. Solve levels with your opponents blood!

Download the game here: bloody.zip - Release 1 (0.5 MB)

Collect all the keys in the level and then get to the exit.

It’s recommended to play the game with a Xbox 360 controller. But it’s also playable with keyboard and mouse.

Xbox 360 gamepad controls
[d-pad] controls the character.
[right thumb] controls the lawn mower.
[right trigger] gives gas to the lawn mower.

Mouse-keyboard controls
[WASD] moves the character.
[Mouse] moves the lawn mower.
[Left mouse button] controls the gas.

Esc will quit the game.

Feedback and critique is appreciated. I don't know how much I'll update the game after this release. I'm somewhat itching to add sound and music to the game. Also I feel that I didn't really get to explore all the possibilities of the gameplay mechanism. Which sucks.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 01:09:10 AM by Derek » Logged

Petri Purho
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 03:56:32 AM »

Hey there!
Interesting concept!

One thing that bothers me is the control schemem used. I'd personaly put the jumping action on the A button, gas on the X button and side flipping with the triggers.

Besides that, perhaps make sure that there are no pools of blood in an area before you trash a zombie. I think it owuld be more satisfying this way.

What else have you got planned for this game?
Later!

EDIT: Oh I forgot to emntion that the holy star symbols sctatered around, although very similar with those founds in the movie, are not very clear in-game. I didn't recognize them at first. I'd slightly change the design to make it clearer.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 03:59:17 AM by Guert » Logged

gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 05:22:02 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't own a Xbox 360 so I have no idea what's the standard way of using the controller in games. I think the hat is mostly used for the camera?! I think the biggest problem is the lack of a jump button. Or mapping it to the hat. It makes it somewhat crappy and uncontrollable.

I didn't quite get your suggested control scheme (running left and right with the triggers?) Can you explain it in a bit more detail. Please.

Also you're right about the crappy star symbol. I have to do something to make it a bit more clearer to the player.

I'll try to wrap the game up by today.

Petri Purho
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 06:02:39 AM »

Sure no troubles!

I read my post again, I could have been written in a better way, sorry about that.

I attached a pic to illustrate what I mean...

Note about the movement... It can eithe rbe on the d-pad or on the... black thingy. Well, I call them tits and I dont remember the right name for those controls Smiley

Anyway, hope it makes what I mean clearer...
Later!

gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 06:29:31 AM »

Thanks for the pic. Now I get what you meant. That could work. I don't how easy it is to control the lawn mower with the triggers, but I guess I'd have to try it out. I'll try to do a test release with that control scheme.

Petri Purho
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 06:40:46 AM »

An alternative to this would be to make the lawnmower always face the direction you are running to(ie, you run to the left, the lawnmower is on the left, you run to the right, the lawnmower faces the right) and you add a "lock on" button that will lock the lawnmower's position so it doesn't flip when you move toward the opposite direct. You could also add the option to put the lawnmower over your head when pressing the Up arrow

I hope I'm expressing myself clearly this time Wink There's no time to waste Smiley

gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 03:39:23 PM »

...And it's done...

Sorry Guert I tried your suggested control scheme, but it didn't really work with the blood surfing. I really liked the ability to jump from the A -button but you can't always get everything you want Sad

But I changed the stars to keys, because I figured they might be a better and clearer symbol for their role in the game.

Oh and the finished game can be downloaded from here.

Petri Purho
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 04:59:05 PM »

Eh he no worries! Wink
Landing on a zombie with a lawnmower? Satisfying!

Spincut
Level 1

Playing the games you make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 05:30:12 PM »

Finished! This was a fun game with a very unique gameplay mechanic, and I applaud you for that. The surfing was kind of dodgy, though. Sometimes I wouldn't jump out of the...erm...water when I held down the gas and sometimes I'd pop right out when I put on the gas. I wasn't sure what effects the gas had on the mower when in blood. Also, the character bumps his head on the ceiling, which proved to be a big hindrance in the third (I think) to last level. It took me a few tries to jump to a ledge that had the last two keys, but I finally got it. I'd only be really worried if it was impossible to pass. Once again, great job!
gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 06:09:54 PM »

Spincut: Thanks for the feedback and kind words. I just realized that there might be a bug in how the game handles the player emerging from the blood. I'll have to look into it. Also right now you can jump higher from a pool of blood if you press up as come to the surface. That might be bit confusing and should also be fixed.

Petri Purho
fish
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 10:13:32 AM »

this is such a fun idea.
trully novel.
and it works.

id love to see it pushed further.
with a few more verbs added, some background art and tweaked surfing, this game could be amazing!

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 11:47:59 AM »

I agree. This game needs to go further with the concepts it uses.
What ya got planned Gumminika?

fish
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 01:45:18 PM »

do it!

BLOODY ZOMBIE DELUXE CONFIRMED.

gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 02:03:07 PM »

BLOODY ZOMBIE DELUXE CONFIRMED.
LOLz

Seriously. I felt that the game was cut short because of the deadline. There are lots of stuff I wanted to try, but simply didn't have the time. There's also some stuff that's already implemented like the health bar, floating objects but had to be cut out because I didn't have enough time to finish them.

Problem is that I somewhat tied up with crayon at this moment. I'm sure it wouldn't take that much time to add some stuff to bloody zombies, but then again it's all out of the development of Crayon. I'll see what I can do.

Petri Purho
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 07:52:57 PM »

This is so much fun.
I think it would've killed in the B-Game Competition and I think it'll do really good at Gamma 256 (even though it's not a competition).
gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 10:20:05 AM »

Yeah, I really should have done this game couple of months ago for the B-Game competition. But then again I'm happy with SM Word (my B-Game), even though it did badly in the competition.

Petri Purho
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007, 04:47:57 PM »

Loved the game.  Loved the ending.  I hope you polish it up a little bit more, add music and sound, maybe flash the screen when you have all the keys for a room?

Anyway, very fun! Fluid blood dynamics are where it's at.

@doomlaser, mark johns
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2007, 01:06:31 AM »

Haven't beaten it yet, but its awesome! So B-Gamey.

My only request: please add a soundtrack and some sound effects! Even if they won't get heard at Gamma, it would be awesome.

gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2007, 09:59:31 AM »

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm somewhat itching to add sound effects to the game. I think they would make the whole thing much more enjoyable. The sound of griding through zombie meat. Sweet.

Also force feedback could be used to an awesome effect.

Soundtrack is somewhat more complicated, because I have no idea what kind of music will work with the game. I guess I should go surfing through archive.org and try to find something usable.

I'll have to do an update to crayon, but after that's done I guess I could spend some time working on Bloody Zombies.

Petri Purho
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2007, 11:26:43 AM »

Soundtrack is somewhat more complicated, because I have no idea what kind of music will work with the game. I guess I should go surfing through archive.org and try to find something usable.
SURF MUSIC. : D

No, seriously. I think it would go well with the whole goofy B-game feel.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic