Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:55:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingG-E-N-E-R-I-C platformer
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: G-E-N-E-R-I-C platformer  (Read 16059 times)
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 16, 2009, 02:32:02 PM »

DELETED
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 03:16:11 PM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 02:55:18 PM »

Nice!  This was very clever!  Had a lot of fun.

Just so you know, there are some collision issues, and I got stuck once.  But I guess that's what the restart button is for.

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 02:57:05 PM »

Assuming this was a bug... you can float and fly off the screen if you hold both W and Space.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 02:58:55 PM »

Assuming this was a bug... you can float and fly off the screen if you hold both W and Space.

Man, if that's a bug, it's one of the most awesome/hilarious bugs I've seen.  I'd say keep it in the game.

John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 03:20:44 PM »

This game is pretty awesome, *despite* the title and description.

I don't really like it when I die from partially destroyed spikes, but then again, it's easy to construct shapes that are even sharper than the original spikes that *don't* kill you, so I'll let it slide.

It took me a few levels to discover that you're a liar, even though the character's animation made it pretty obvious.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 03:57:19 PM »

Mmm awesome.  I ain't never run out of the ... erase the level -- potion.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 11:18:39 PM »

Thanks for the comments!

@malec2b: Indeed, there are some annoying collision issues; I fear I can't do anything to them. Sad

@IceNine: Woah! Gotta fix that - no matter how hilarious it is! Grin

@John Nesky: For the title and description, should I perhaps change them a bit, are they too stupid? The game is after all quite... well... unsurprising (at least mostly), so I wanted to add some extra.

For the spikes - it would strike me as weird if I wouldn't die into partially destroyed ones. Is it too confusing? I'd like to hear some opinions, it wouldn't be hard to change that.

@xerus: thank you Smiley
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 12:32:30 AM by Hempuli » Logged

Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 01:10:06 AM »

Hmm... On the splash screen he is holding a G-E-N-E-R-I-C alien zappy gun, on screenshots he's holding something more akin to a microwave UZI.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 01:41:48 AM »

Hmm... On the splash screen he is holding a G-E-N-E-R-I-C alien zappy gun, on screenshots he's holding something more akin to a microwave UZI.

shush! :D

ortoslon
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 04:02:25 AM »

Captain_404
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 07:03:21 AM »

For the spikes - it would strike me as weird if I wouldn't die into partially destroyed ones. Is it too confusing? I'd like to hear some opinions, it wouldn't be hard to change that.

For that matter, it's also a little weird that you can't collect coins/gems/bags which are only just barely destroyed. One of my first encounters with the spikes involved me just barely taking off the top because I thought it would disable them like it does everything else. Nope.
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 09:43:37 AM »

finished it with a score of 198...not much :-D
good that not all coins are needed to finish a level Wink
reminded me partially of timerocketxby.
good work. good game   Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

edit: a clever level skip option would be to erase the needed coins in the upper right Wink
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 09:48:31 AM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 09:56:57 AM »

For the title and description, should I perhaps change them a bit, are they too stupid? The game is after all quite... well... unsurprising (at least mostly), so I wanted to add some extra.

Well, lately around here there have been a bunch of artsy games, either critiquing the gamer/indie community or games that critique the ones that critique the gamer/indie community, or something. The title and description make this sound like another one of those, rather that just an attempt at humility. And maybe it is? I guess I can't tell, but it didn't seem that way to me.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 10:06:07 AM »

It would be so awsome if you stated that it's just you being humble, has nothing to do with critique of the indie comunity or such :D

Nice game, also! How the hell do you do that, code-wise?  Shocked
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 10:08:51 AM »

I already posted a comment on the IG.com Weblog, but I just want to say it again: This is great! Grin

My score was about 230 or something. But, I'll try again and get all the coins. Oh yes, I will..

By the way: I'm one who usually doesn't give a damn about highscores in games and just plays through them once. This here is different for good reason!

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 10:56:39 AM »

Hempuli hates mushrooms.

RACISM!
increpare
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 12:38:04 PM »

fun Smiley
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 01:02:39 PM »

About the spikes: I find it funny that they can't simply be "disabled" like all other things. Maybe that makes the game a little illogical in itself, but it makes for at least one fun moment of discovery :D
But I thought it's too unclear what it takes to destroy them. Maybe make it so if the uppermost pixel of the spike is destroyed, the spike won't kill you anymore.

But, speaking of spikes: Is it even possible to get all coins? I could get all coins so far, but in the level with the 12 secluded rooms I just don't know how to get three coins which are hovering directly above spikes. I can't simply walk over the spikes because for that I'd need to destroy a wall, which would make me unable to walk there. If I "open" the ceiling I'll have to jump in there, so that the spikes would kill me. And if I try to destroy the spikes I'd destroy the coins Shrug

[edit]
I think I'm onto something, but damn that's tricky..

[edit²]
 Hand Shake LeftTears of JoyHand Shake Right
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 01:21:24 PM by MisterX » Logged

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 01:29:17 PM »

Great job as usual Hempuli, keep it up.

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 01:49:35 PM »

Yaayy, I got all the co..

http://s6b.directupload.net/images/090617/k99rwruh.jpg

Wait, wha-? You're kidding me, right? Cry

That was a lot of fun. I think I am not exaggerating when I say that getting all(?!) the coins in the hardest levels felt equally rewarding and seemed simiarly thoughtfully designed as the hardest puzzles in Braid Smiley

But, now.. what's up with that score? I can't believe I missed something..
So, here I go again.. :D

Not that I'd be surprised if the "best possible" score is actually deliberately wrong Grin

[edit]
Even less this time. I am indeed not getting something about the scoring system.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 02:13:19 PM by MisterX » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic