Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 12:05:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsA Beginner's Guide to Spriting
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: A Beginner's Guide to Spriting  (Read 157924 times)
Carnivac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 12:39:40 PM »

fig. 3 - SFII's perfectly servicable 3-frame Hadouken (top) becomes SFIII's 10+ frame monstrosity (bottom). At this point, Capcom would have been better off investing in 3D graphics...which, most recently, is precisely what they did.

Sorry but I disagree.  I've always preferred that much more fluid animation of Ryu's Hadouken move in SFIII to that nasty stiff and choppy SFII version. Is one reason I wish they'd have added extra frames in Super Street Fighter II HD Remix because the 'comic' sprites they have show up the choppiness even more and it looks awful. I can't even bare to play that game since I got SFIV.  Anyways I really do like more animation and heck I enjoy it.
Must be down to personal preference but I've never found any game to have 'over-animated' sprites.  I got annoyed with another site that said for a 16x16 sprite you should never had more than 4 frame walkcycles.  Well, I do 8, and I like it.

You Will Not Have Fun

The first thing to be aware of is that, through much of the spriting process, you will not have fun. You will learn to hate your character and his or her need to perform so many movements, each of which requires hours of work on your part.

Maybe you don't, but pixelling animated or still sprites is the main reason I even have a computer.  I enjoy it a lot and I get a good sense of satisfaction when it's come out the way I had imagined or hoped it would.  I may never be great at it but it's still the thing I enjoy doing most on a PC (since I don't really use it for gaming).  It's the only bit of game development I enjoy doing.  I despise the coding bit.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 12:50:19 PM »

I like how Capcom's characters' feet are bigger than their heads

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 12:56:51 PM »

i also prefer the sf3 version -- adding extra frames of animation sometimes takes away from something, but can just as often add to it too. i remember in the ohrrpgce we were limited to *two* frames of animation for walking (in each direction), which was really limiting.

e.g.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 02:47:06 PM »

What Carnivac said, exactly everything.

edit; but then, I might myself be considered somewhat of an overanimator, probably. But whatever, I enjoy doing things the way I do, even if it results in an abundance of frames.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2009, 03:01:37 PM »

I believe the idea is slacking off.  If 3 frames can get the point across (albeit not as well as 4+), just do it and be done. 

Personally, I like to do as little as possible... but I also hate making graphics.  I'm sure real artists enjoy their work.  Tongue

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Kadoba
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2009, 03:27:30 PM »

you could always make the minimal amount of frames and if you're not happy with the animation come back when you are finished with most of your assets and see if you still want to finish them. Chances are you'll have a much better idea of how you want to spend your time.
godsavant
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2009, 12:33:52 AM »

you could always make the minimal amount of frames and if you're not happy with the animation come back when you are finished with most of your assets and see if you still want to finish them.

This is closer to what I wanted to say. What I meant was that the beginning spriter should try to get by with 'serviceable' animation (SFII's Ryu) to get through the checklist quicker than to take the 'slow-but-super-detailed' route (SFIII's RYU) of double-digit framecounts right from the get-go, and burning themselves out sooner than necessary. It's much harder to scrap a project with a set of nine or ten serviceable animations already made than it is to abandon one with one or two super-detailed ones.

...I might myself be considered somewhat of an overanimator, probably.

Giggle

Maybe you don't, but pixelling animated or still sprites is the main reason I even have a computer.  I enjoy it a lot and I get a good sense of satisfaction when it's come out the way I had imagined or hoped it would.  I may never be great at it but it's still the thing I enjoy doing most on a PC (since I don't really use it for gaming).  It's the only bit of game development I enjoy doing.  I despise the coding bit.

Carnivac, do not forget that you are an artistic elite in the spriting community that is genuinely talented and interested in the process of 2D art - a level far above mine  Tired, so I'm sure you could write a more advanced guide than I could. But I'm writing to the beginner - usually, someone who makes graphics simply because they have to be made - and in such a situation, I'd rather see a finished game made with novice graphics than a few amazing sprite animations and mockups gathering dust on a disheartened developer's hard drive (nothing personal, Xion). One step at a time.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 12:37:32 AM by godsavant » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic