Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:47:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallRGCD Presents: r0x (Atari STE / PC)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: RGCD Presents: r0x (Atari STE / PC)  (Read 5216 times)
rgcd.co.uk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 26, 2009, 03:41:12 PM »

After reviewing indie games and retro homebrew for the last few years, RGCD have finally given something back to the gaming scene in the form of 'r0x', a single or multiplayer avoid-em-up game for the Atari STE (2MB).

"Atari?  As in the old 80's computer?  The poor man's Amiga?"

Yes, that's correct Smiley - However, to make the game as accessible as possible for modern gamers I've cunningly included an emulator with the game embedded in the downloadable zip file, so all you have to do is double click your mouse on the .cmd file in the win32 directory...(but read the specific win32 readme 1st!!)

Anyway, it's taken us a year of on-and-off development to complete this little game - and although r0x is very simplistic I'm still proud that we finally got it past the 99% finished stage (and won the gamedev compo at Outline 2009).

Your goal is to survive as long as possible and get a high score.  Avoid the asteroids & 'maluses' (term coined by the coder for instant-death skulls and reverse controls), collect the bonuses and spacemen, and scrape rocks with your wings for massive danger points.

The two player mode is a competition to collect more cosmonauts than your opponent.  (I did say it was simple!).

I hope you enjoy it!

The game website is here:
http://www.rgcd.co.uk/r0x/

Impatient peeps can download here:
http://www.rgcd.co.uk/r0x/r0x.zip

Please vote here if you like it:
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=53197&howmanycomments=100

A (funny) video of the presentation at Outline can be viewed here (complete with drunk German audience):

Credits:
TomChi (NoExtra), Heavy Stylus (RGCD), Templeton (CVSD), Crazy Q (G-Spot), C-Rem (MMJ-Prod), DMA-SC (Sector One)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 03:54:25 PM by Heavy Stylus » Logged
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 04:27:53 PM »

Thank goodness.  I tried getting it to work on my own a few weeks ago, and I simply could not figure it out.

I'm so computer illiterate sometimes.  Embarrassed

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 07:18:13 PM »

Awesome, I love homebrew, I'm sort of working on one myself. Because it's the future Marty!
Downloading...

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
rgcd.co.uk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 11:28:43 PM »

Thank goodness.  I tried getting it to work on my own a few weeks ago, and I simply could not figure it out.

I'm so computer illiterate sometimes.  Embarrassed

Yeah - I received feedback from others following the outline release saying that they couldn't get their head around the emulator, so I spent a bit of time trying to make it as accessible as possible for people who have no experience with using a 16-bit Atari.

BTW - It works fine under XP, but I have no idea if Steem (the emulator) is Vista compatible.

I really think that this method of distributing retro-homebrew should be embraced by others...
Oddbob
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 05:49:29 AM »

I've had no trouble with it on Vista. Just so you knows.
rgcd.co.uk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 11:46:28 AM »

That's great news! :D

Thanks OddBob.

BTW, it appears that there is a highscore battle here: http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=16812&start=0&sid=5745b203f70d49f181a8b918a6bbefdd
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 12:42:39 PM »

Pink toy bears. With space helmets.
 Durr...?
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 01:45:14 PM »

Worked fine on Win XP for me. The loading time when starting the game was unexpectedly high, but I've never used an Atari in any way, so I don't know if that's usual or not.
The only actual problem I had was that the arrow keys seemed strangely unresponsive in the main menu. In order to move the cursor I had to hold the up or down arrow key for a very short time, just quickly pressing them didn't work. It was easy to get used to that, but at first I thought the controls weren't working because I seemingly couldn't use the arrow keys. Pressing the spacebar worked as usual and thankfully during the actual game all keys were ideally responsive.

The game was fun, but I thought that the pace ramped up too slowly. It did get quite frantic towards the end of each wave, but the beginning half was a bit boring. I only got to the 4th wave, though.
But, I'm not really a sucker for simple highscore-based arcade games in general, so I might not be the most suitable person to talk about that Smiley
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 01:48:56 PM by MisterX » Logged

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 03:08:30 PM »

I thought that the pace ramped up too slowly. It did get quite frantic towards the end of each wave, but the beginning half was a bit boring.
This.

Pronominal graphics and music, but I spent a more time being bored than I did having fun at the end of each wave. I quit about five minutes in. Perhaps it's more fun with two players, I dunno.  Sad
Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 03:54:26 PM »

the atari was better than the amiga. shitty yamaha sound chip for life.
rgcd.co.uk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 04:42:35 AM »

The loading time when starting the game was unexpectedly high, but I've never used an Atari in any way, so I don't know if that's usual or not.

Hehe - yeah, the loading time is due to the emulator loading from an atari disk image - it's more-or-less exactly the same amount of time it would take on real hardware.

I'm sorry to hear that some of you found the game boring - it's our first game release and as we aren't using ASM to code we were really limited with what we could do with the engine (the game is coded in GFA basic).  Each wave starts off slowly and builds up in speed to give the impression of progressing through a meteor storm/asteroid field - you'll notice that it tapers out at the end of the wave too.  The slow start also gives players a chance to rack up danger points by scraping the slower rocks...
rgcd.co.uk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 04:53:40 AM »

the atari was better than the amiga. shitty yamaha sound chip for life.

It's probably worth mentioning that the game is worth downloading for the soundtrack alone...

We've used the yamaha chip for music, and the STE DMA chip is used for sound effects (8-bit mono sampled speech ftw!).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 06:45:45 PM by Heavy Stylus » Logged
rgcd.co.uk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 05:06:50 AM »

The only actual problem I had was that the arrow keys seemed strangely unresponsive in the main menu. In order to move the cursor I had to hold the up or down arrow key for a very short time, just quickly pressing them didn't work. It was easy to get used to that, but at first I thought the controls weren't working because I seemingly couldn't use the arrow keys. Pressing the spacebar worked as usual and thankfully during the actual game all keys were ideally responsive.

This is an emulator issue: to resolve,

press 'Pause/Break' on your keyboard
click on the spanner icon on the top of the screen
click on the 'Sound' icon in the options window
set the frequency at 44100Hz

Apologies - will update the download asap. (EDIT - Done)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 06:50:08 AM by Heavy Stylus » Logged
rgcd.co.uk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 11:59:52 AM »

Old school ftw! Smiley

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 06:42:23 PM »

The slow start also gives players a chance to rack up danger points by scraping the slower rocks...
Frankly, I totally forgot about the "danger points" when I played the game. That might indeed make the slower parts a lot more interesting. I'll give the game another go later Smiley

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 12:19:18 AM »

Wait, there's grazing? Yeah, that would probably make things a lot more interesting. Might want to emphasize that a little more in the instructions. Wink
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 06:23:00 AM »

Nice game, very addictive. Hand Thumbs Up Right

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009, 02:51:53 AM »

omg awesome, i'm going to emulate it on my gp2x.

is there a way to have the musics in mp3?

I agree that it starts really slow, i was bored long before making a game over and after a while i made my ship suicide, graphics and sound are wonderful Smiley maybe it needs to be a bit harder from the start
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 06:56:04 AM by Eclipse » Logged

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic