Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 08:01:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsAdult/Educational Compo
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Adult/Educational Compo  (Read 64429 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: June 27, 2009, 03:45:42 AM »

This is a TIGSource Twin TIGER Assault Free Form Competition.

What is TIGSource?  You're sitting in it.

What is Twin TIGER Assault?  Twin TIGER Assaults are short competitions based around two different themes, of which you may choose one or both for your entry.  The emphasis is on collaboration, sharing, and, most of all, the completion of projects.  I.e., it's an exercise in making small, tight, enjoyable/interesting games that can be played from beginning to end.  There are no prizes involved.

What is Free Form?  Any format goes!  But the game should at least run on Win32 platforms.

This is TIGSource's first dual-theme competition.  You may choose one of the themes for your game, or incorporate both.

The two themes are adult games and educational games.  Many of us have played both types of games growing up.  So what do Leisure Suit Larry and Mavis Beacon have in common?  What would happen if Custer got his revenge in the middle of the Oregon Trail?  Maybe nothing.  Maybe a LOT.  The choice is yours.

The fact is that most game designers shy away from sex and education.  They're difficult topics to sell directly in mainstream entertainment.  But why not sex and education in games?  Both are better when you're interacting with them.

Be crude, be funny, be smart, be sexy, be informative... This could be the most challenging compo yet.  Are you up for it, TIGers?! Gentleman

Start Date: Sunday, June 28th

End Date: Sunday, August 9th (Around Midnight)

Rules:

- Entries should be started and ended within the time frame of the competition to be considered for judging (but it's OKAY if you start thinking/prototyping a bit earlier).

- Using pre-existing game engines is OKAY.

- Entries must be made for the competition only (but you can do whatever you wish with them once they're finished).

- Collaborations are allowed and, in fact, are welcomed.

- As usual, you should start a thread to track the development of your game!  Please put your thread in the Adult/Educational Compo subforum.

- You may submit more than one game.

- Submit your game by declaring "[FINISHED]" in the subject heading of your game's thread.  Include the download link to the latest version of the game somewhere where I can find it.

- Due to the potentially offensive nature of the Adult theme, please make use of the [NSFW] and [18+] tags when necessary.  Use the correct message icon, too (Adult/Edu, Adult, or Educational).  Nothing illegal or hateful, either.  Use your head.

Okay, let's do it! Evil
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 12:29:34 PM by Derek » Logged
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 03:58:24 AM »

If you're wondering why it isn't B-Games II: I read some people's thoughts about it and thought about it myself... basically I feel like the B-Games concept has made its way into all the competitions in some way, shape, or form.  Which is fine and good, but it makes me less interested in it as a compo theme in and of itself.  I'm not even sure what a B-Games II compo would be like now.

When something is really amazing sometimes it's best not to spoil it with a sequel!  Let's move forward to new things!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 04:01:40 AM by Derek » Logged
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 04:26:13 AM »

Hurrah! Great decision by our benevolent dictator. That was unexpected.

Combining the two themes will prove... challenging.
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 04:45:25 AM »

Educational, yes! This makes me excited, I totally want to make a game now. (The Adult part sounds fun too, I'll try to work that into my idea as well.)

jstckr
Level 7

ilu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 04:59:12 AM »

This is quite a promising compo. Looking forward to playing the results. Smiley

r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 05:00:17 AM »

i'm stumped...

Shrug
Biggerfish
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 05:40:00 AM »

Nothing illegal or hateful, either.
Illegal according to our country, or illegal according to common sense?  Giggle
Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 05:40:54 AM »

Hahaha! This is an awesome idea. Seriously looking forward to seeing what people'll be making out of this one.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 06:25:59 AM »

Forseeing microgames similar in inspiration to "Hassle".

I am tired of compos that seem dominated by solo entries. I would enjoy being part of a team. I can code in Python or C++ (rusty) but will learn anything that's not too complicated, can do very basic 3D modelling and texturing, and can write music (sort of poorly).

reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 06:44:13 AM »

Derek Yu is the greatest person ever.  I am now on a journey to create the greatest educational game ever!

Will I release anything this time?  STAY TUNED.

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 07:00:18 AM »

just when increpare left the forums, a competition he would dominate D:

anyway, looking forward to playing the entries to this, great theme(s)

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 07:35:21 AM »

This will be super odd. Interactive sexual education Huh? Hope some of them will actually be used in schools :D
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 08:18:54 AM »

Awesome!!

Tiny Platypus Pimps 3D maybe? Tongue

We'll have to see

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 08:19:28 AM »

hay guyz, i made a compo entry. both adult and educational. Durr...?

(yes, it's SFW)

Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 08:21:03 AM »

I think the appropriate response is..."F*** yeah."

Akatosh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 09:13:23 AM »

Does it actually have to be educative? Or could one, for example, make an ART GAME spoof about... the sociocultural impacts of the phlogistone theory or somesuch?
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 09:19:18 AM »

Sunday the 28th or Saturday the 27th? Because you said Sunday the 27th, which isn't in this year.

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 09:34:56 AM »

Tiny Platypus Pimps 3D maybe? Tongue

You would be a god of mine.  Actually, you kind of already are.  You would be my entire religion.

I apologize, Flashbang Studios.  Not even those who made the game starring the ever-magnificent x-ray fly-pack, propelling his improbable sidekick, the apatosaurus named Brontosaurus... wait, I got sidetracked.  What was I talking about?  Ah, fuck it, I'm just going to look at some potentially enjoyable images and call it a day.

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 09:43:17 AM »

Thanks for taking our feedback into consideration Derek.  Awesome poster as always haha.

I kind of regret being in the "start the compo already" camp since I'm going to be out of town for half of July.  Part of it was just curiousity I guess.

I still plan on participating though, this theme is too good.  I think we're going to see some interesting submissions this time around.

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 09:49:47 AM »

Great! I'm going to try to submit an entry to this compo! I was thinking to solo it, but I could relatively easily be cajoled into teaming up. If anyone wants to I'm wizard-level in C++, for 3D code OGRE and native Direct3D, and know my way around artsy apps too.

And yeah, this compo would be excellently combined with the infographics suggestion for a glorious triple whammy!

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic