Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:07:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoThe Zombie Apocalypse Training Simulator
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Zombie Apocalypse Training Simulator  (Read 30038 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2009, 12:30:41 AM »

Greeting, fellow living humans. Worried that you'll be unprepared for the inevitable rise of the undead hordes? No money to buy specialized tools and weapons? Having firearms illegal in your region?

Fear not! With the ZATStm, Dreamgate Techsofts' new high-end simulation software, you will be more than prepared for the fall of mankind. We absolutely garantee an at least 25% increased chance of long-term survival!

Using technologically advanced computer age graphics and specialized zombie simulation algorythims, you'll be able to practice your zombie-killing skills in the confort of your home.

Don't know how to make molotov cocktails? House-made firearms?, When the chips are down you have to choose between the cricket bat and the kitchen knife, you'll freeze unable to decide? We will teach you ALL you need to know to make even the most mundane objects tools for your survival and that of your family!

Unless they're zombies too. Then we'll teach you how to give them the eternal rest they deserve!

Features include:

• Anything is a weapon! Within the simulation all objects are usable against the shambling dead, or for various other purposes! (be aware that the simulator will not stop you from doing massively stupid things. FOR LEARNING)
  • Training environment suited for each user! The simulation will use personal data you feed into it to generate an environment that best fits your current living situation, as well as your skills and tools you may have at your disposal.
  • Faithfully simulated zombies! Years of intense study of horror and action flicks, games, comics, books, and a lot of fantasizing around doing odd sounds with their mouthes have allowed our engineers to create the most faithful zombies to date! And not just one type of zombie, either. Who knows what the zombies will be like? A viral infection? Demons possessing the bodies of the deceased? Living men controlled by psychic forces? You name it, we got it, and we'll teach you to Kick. Their. Ass.
  • Faithful simulation of human needs and moods! Don't be foolish! the Z's aren't the only thing you have to worry about. You have famine, disease, stress, insanity! We'll simulate all those factors, and before we're done with you you'll be the perfect apocalypse badass.
  • Interact with animals and surviving humans! Zombies are not the only thing you'll find after Z-day (just most of the time). You'll find animals, some of which might have been affected by the outbreak. Zombie dogs bite hard! And what about survivors? Oh, they're all your friends, you think, and you'll all be happy ever after as you fight the hordes together! WRONG! We're here to teach you that desperate situations and lack of confidence in the future of civilization can bring the worst out of men. Be prepared for anything!

So what are you waiting for? The apocalypse may happen next week! Tomorrow! Hell, it may be happening right now somewhere else! Get your copy NOW!

(It's a roguelike in Flash, by the way. I decided to not go with my original idea because I feel that one would need more serious work put into it then I can give it right now, and I wouldn't be able to release something like that half-done.)

---###---###---

Older posts:

My current idea is as follows:

You are a private investigator searching for a missing teenager, a runaway that had had a misunderstanding with his/her parents and then left on her own.

Your investigations have led you into a shadier district of town, where proliferated alternative and underground clubs, many with specific themes related to unusual, but often surprisingly popular, sexual fetishes.

You are cold and apathetic, as you've seen the demons of mankind in the face, things that people would cower in fear and disgust from. These places offer nothing that could shock your worn mind, so you can maintain a clear, neutral look of the things you witness, and analyse them in better detail. It helps with work, but does cause some trouble in getting laid.

The game plays like text-heavy RPG's, without much of the roleplaying aspect. The graphics will be text-based, with a top-down roguelike-style exploration screen, and dialogue trees to explore as you seek your missing person, learning more then you assumed you would about the poeple that hang around those places.

The game may be somewhat explicit on the writing, but I have no plans on making it unconfortably so. It should be perfect SFW, especially since it's all text.

It'll be made in Flash, with the textmode engine I've been working on. The title is meant to be a bit metaphoric as of now. It's prone to change.

I'd be very thankful of ideas and links to sources of information. I'll have to do a good bit of research.

---###---###---

OLD POST:

Well, this theme caught me by surprise, so I've been stumped for ideas. But I have something that I'll probably make into a game.

I was thinking of doing something related to sexual fetishes, things outside what the majority consider 'normal', with focus on the internet. Soemthing heavy on the subtleties adn metaphors, and not explicit. So yes, it'll probably be pretty SFW.

Another idea, given to me by Chevy, is that of a roguelike in which you play a protitute, trying to survive in that line of work with all its issues. Would probably be more focused on story. Might be more explicit in the writing.

Just gotta brainstorm a bit more and see what I'll come up with.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 01:25:19 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 03:50:11 PM »

Please read the first post for an update.

haroldoop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 04:12:40 PM »

Well, the idea seems to have potential. Can't wait to see how it turns out.  Smiley
medieval
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 04:15:04 PM »

I love this idea, the game mechanic sounds neat as well Smiley
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 08:34:52 PM »

Really looking forward to this. One source of information could be this series of articles by a popular dom.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 11:50:16 AM »

So hey, I've been thinking. I'm not sure I have enough knowledge on this subject to make this work in a level that would do the idea justice. It's still not completely lost in that regard, though.

What I thought is to use innuendo and metaphors for it instead of real stuff. Odd fetishes I could make up (and that probably exist anyway in some form or another). Like having a sexual attraction for trains. Actually, I read that one already exists. But imagine a whole underground club dedicated to having model trains going around while people have sex dressed as conductors.

Or maybe the furnies, inspired by Penny Arcade.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 10:05:54 AM »

Okay, new idea. If I can't make the original idea work in an acceptable level, I'm going to make an educational game, a simulation of the inevitable zombie apocalipse, in high realistic detail, and as a roguelike as well. People would learn how to survive against the horde, how to scavenge for food, barricade shelters, what materials you can use to make crude, but efficient homebrew weapons. It would feature several types of possible zombies, so that one would know how to deal with them, like the hivemind/psychic zombie, the magical undead zombie, the virulent/infected zombie, and the alien parasite zombie.

Nulldorf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 10:27:02 AM »

Awesome zombie idea. Actually that was my first idea too, but I didn't think I could handle the scope.

I wanted to make an apocalypse simulator: players could choose alien invasion, zombie uprising, nukes, etc. Or combine disasters for a super bad day.

If you go the zombie route, it would be great to see players use everyday objects and found weapons for melee, like the blade from a paper cutter and hammers, scalpels, etc. I love L4D, but in the zombie uprising I really wouldn't know what to do with an assault rifle...

Always say yes for more roguelikes!
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 04:17:51 PM »

Yeah, I'm thinking this idea would be more fun to develop. But I feel the first would be more enriching to players.

What to doooooo~

Spincut
Level 1

Playing the games you make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 05:04:47 PM »

I say do what you would have more fun doing. Although I think the zombiepocalypse idea sounds fantastic. Grin
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 06:57:47 PM »

Both would yield very useful information. One is just more immediate.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 01:26:01 PM »

Bump. Read first post.

Spincut
Level 1

Playing the games you make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 01:12:48 AM »

Yayyyy I'm so excited! I had an idea for a game like this, actually, so I wish you the best of luck!
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 04:51:35 PM »

Dude im looking forward to this, plz finish and I love you long time.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 06:43:22 PM »

Long, you say? Well, hello there! Wizard (Official Ad/Ed Compo smileys)

Mostly today I tried figuring out how to organize this. My first time making a roguelike, and I'm not sure how to go about it. I'll probably look for some guides.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 07:18:45 PM »

I've decided to set up basic goals that I'll tackle in strict order. First:

Hand Point Right Create a player character that can move within a confined space and react properly to obstacles (walls)

I might have this done today, hopefully (I started this thing today). Next, I'll do:

Hand Point Right Create working doors and windows.
Hand Point Right Create simple zombie NPC's that you can attack and that attack you, which also means creating the bare-bones of the combat.
Hand Point Right Implement zombie pathfinding, make zombies be properly affected by the elements on the map.
Hand Point Right Implement line of sight.
Hand Point Right Create interactive furniture.
Hand Point Right Create working weapons.
Hand Point Right Create other items, like food, first aid items and tools.
Hand Point Right Implement simple PG levels.

For the compo I'm going to focus on creating the scenario where you wake up in your house (a fairly big one, you rich bastard), that's become infested with zombies during your sleep. The goal would be to clear the house of zombies and barricade all possible entrances in order to create a safe stronghold (and to stop the spawning zombies that enter through unprotected entry points). Then meet other criteria in order to allow long-term survival in the house. Preferably I'd also like to create a small neighborhood.

The maximum goal would be the procedural generation of an entire city. Maybe the city has been quarantine by the military using huge walls all around it, leaving the survivors to fend for themselves. You'd have to survive an ammount of time for most zombies to dieoff and the military to finally enter and clean up the city.

The game will be filled with tips and instructions in what you should and shouldn't do during such desperate times, how to use certain items in useful ways, examples of strategies that may work in the current situation.

Well, wish me luck. Grin

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 05:47:27 AM »

As usual, you've gone for a very ambitious project, Melly! Good luck! Well, hello there! Hand Thumbs Up Right

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 11:39:23 AM »

Yeah, I'm working on that. BUT I WILL HAVE SOMETHING SO HELP ME THE GREAT TOTEM IN THE SKY.

genericuser
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 11:36:45 AM »

Read The Zombie Survival Guide. That is all.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 11:41:51 AM »

Good luck Melly!

Shocked Who, Me? Addicted  Epileptic

My muffins are yours. Droop

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic