Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:01:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoSuper Cock Blockers [FINISHED] [NSFW]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: Super Cock Blockers [FINISHED] [NSFW]  (Read 120877 times)
FiaStarta
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2009, 11:26:41 AM »

Even when there's no one it's still kinda fun. I was joining every newly hosted game, generally playing against a random "player", it's pretty fun to buttfuck them 3x in a row until they rage & close the game.

I know, lame, but with no chat it's not like we could teach them anyway Smiley

I also noticed that pretty much every noob fails at buttfucking, just like me no one understands that you have to crouch first.
fishmatt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2009, 01:21:16 PM »

I also noticed that pretty much every noob fails at buttfucking, just like me no one understands that you have to crouch first.

Even worse, they learn that, and then try to crouch hump the girl when you're there capping her already instead of defending or autojerking. And that's in the fucking How To Play menu!
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2009, 02:10:34 PM »

People never read how to play menus, and if they do, they forget everything they read the instant they close it. This is a game development fact.

You have to have the instructions pop up on the screen as you play. People won't read these either, so you also have to add pictographics and big arrows.

These will also be ignored.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2009, 02:35:41 PM »

Just tried playing...! I think 3 other people were online playing a game. It was pretty fun, but I didn't really know what I was doing. Smiley

I found the controls kind of confusing, I'll see if I can think up some suggestions on how that might be improved.

I guess I found it hard to remember which "joystick button" colors mapped to what input. (Left Mouse, Right Mouse, Space and Q..?)

So in the game when it would pop up saying "Push the Green Button!" I would have no idea what to do. It would be helpful if there was some way to view the button mapping in-game or if the pop-up help said explicitly which key/button to press.

People never read how to play menus, and if they do, they forget everything they read the instant they close it. This is a game development fact.

This is (sadly?) true, usually you have to design the game so that it is fairly self-explanatory.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2009, 03:07:57 PM »

I played a few rounds just now! Haha, I think I just saw the blue victory screen for the first time. Dayum!

My favourite attacks have to be the dildo throw and the female super attack. That's why I always play as the team leader when I can, but I am ashamed when I fail horibbly then and have to watch helplessly  Cry
fishmatt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2009, 03:18:58 PM »

I guess I found it hard to remember which "joystick button" colors mapped to what input. (Left Mouse, Right Mouse, Space and Q..?)

So in the game when it would pop up saying "Push the Green Button!" I would have no idea what to do. It would be helpful if there was some way to view the button mapping in-game or if the pop-up help said explicitly which key/button to press.

The reason it shows "Press (green) button!" is because, and I hope you and everyone else realizes this, you can map your own controls using the options menu. We weren't about to spend the time to graphically draw the name of every possible configurable key into the help tips.

Playing the game on a joystick or gamepad is incredibly satisfying and you should all try it.
Chris P. Bacon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2009, 03:22:26 PM »

Maybe one thing we can do is just write the text value of the buttons that are mapped over the pictures of the buttons in game.

Also, if anyone is not aware, there is joystick/game pad support.  I recommend trying it out from the Options menu, then Controls.  Just go on in, select the control you want to change then push a button or direction on your joystick.  You should turn off the mouse cursor as well (in the same menu) if you're doing this, but you don't have to.

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2009, 03:38:59 PM »

Controls map nicely to the 360 controller! I can never find a server at a suitable time of day though. Is there a way I can have a go with the girl character so I can try out her moves too?

Also, somebody needs to capture a proper video of this game in action...

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
FiaStarta
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2009, 03:49:51 PM »

So in the game when it would pop up saying "Push the Green Button!" I would have no idea what to do

me neither, so I push all 3, and it works Smiley

I think it's really the crouch-fuck system that's very misleading, it's not in the help, it seems to say that you just need to tap down very fast, and quite often with the lag even the proper method doesn't work. So I think only those who checked this thread will know.
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2009, 04:24:30 PM »

So in the game when it would pop up saying "Push the Green Button!" I would have no idea what to do

me neither, so I push all 3, and it works Smiley
In the instructions state that the green button is the same as charge.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
fishmatt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2009, 04:38:08 PM »

I think it's really the crouch-fuck system that's very misleading, it's not in the help, it seems to say that you just need to tap down very fast, and quite often with the lag even the proper method doesn't work. So I think only those who checked this thread will know.

I thought just watching someone else perform it would've been a clue. Honestly the crouch-fucking is the "pro" move of the game; you can keep someone from punching a sexing pair on your team just as well, if not better, by simply jabbing them away when they come close. Not explicitly telling people how to pin, even though we really do, is sort of a way of trying to emphasize paying attention to your team.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2009, 07:33:47 PM »

I never got far in a match before every one left but is there a humiliation round?
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2009, 08:12:42 PM »

The reason it shows "Press (green) button!" is because, and I hope you and everyone else realizes this, you can map your own controls using the options menu. We weren't about to spend the time to graphically draw the name of every possible configurable key into the help tips.

Playing the game on a joystick or gamepad is incredibly satisfying and you should all try it.

I still would like the keyboard and mouse controls of a game to make sense the first time I play it. Smiley I don't think that's an unreasonable suggestion/comment/request.

Also: instead of drawing all the names of keys, you could use a font to display it automatically.

fishmatt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 18, 2009, 08:42:16 PM »

I still would like the keyboard and mouse controls of a game to make sense the first time I play it. Smiley I don't think that's an unreasonable suggestion/comment/request.

Also: instead of drawing all the names of keys, you could use a font to display it automatically.

Thanks for the sarcastic response. If the controls didn't make sense to you, we spent a lot of time instead allowing you to customize your own keys and making sure that the method you used to do so was very clear and available in-game.

We held off on implementing the graphical fonts because they were just extra polish at a time we were trying to optimize our netcode and fix gameplay bugs. 90% of the text ingame is not font text because I was personally trying to give our coder less work to do. The colored button helptips were intended to really hammer home that you were playing an arcade-styled game.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 18, 2009, 11:03:13 PM »

Thanks for the sarcastic response.

Just teasin' bro!  Beer!

If the controls didn't make sense to you, we spent a lot of time instead allowing you to customize your own keys and making sure that the method you used to do so was very clear and available in-game.

My problem is I can't remember which colors correspond to what keys. My brain doesn't work that way. Maybe I'm retarded, but I'm guessing some % of other people might have the same problem.

I guess like how in console games there is both a color and name for each button? Like X (blue), Y (yellow) etc. I can look at the controller and figure it out, and the double binding (name+color) makes it easier to remember. While playing this game using a keyboard/mouse - its really hard for me to make the connection from seeing just a color to pressing left mouse button, for example. The only memorable keys that I can think of rebinding the actions to be "R" for Red, "B" for Blue... but that would be terrible controls.

We held off on implementing the graphical fonts because they were just extra polish at a time we were trying to optimize our netcode and fix gameplay bugs. 90% of the text ingame is not font text because I was personally trying to give our coder less work to do. The colored button helptips were intended to really hammer home that you were playing an arcade-styled game.

I hear ya! I'm not trying to pick away at your efforts, I'm just trying to make sure that the exact nature of the problem is understood - in case it gets addressed in the future. Its a big stumbling block for me, at least.

Gentleman

Boo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2009, 11:16:10 PM »

I had the same problem with the green button too at first, but once you get "Green = Charge up = spacebar" into your head, the rest becomes easy.
FiaStarta
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2009, 12:30:25 AM »

Honestly the crouch-fucking is the "pro" move of the game;

but then the winners are not the ones who play well, but the ones who know how the controls work  Beg
(except that the random "player"s often leave frustrated before the end)
fishmatt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 19, 2009, 08:00:42 AM »

Just teasin' bro!  Beer!

Hey, no problem. It just hit me because these were actual snags or conscious choices made during development that I thought were better than the alternative. I'm sorry to hear they weren't, after all.

but then the winners are not the ones who play well, but the ones who know how the controls work  Beg

Who can "play well" without knowing the basic controls for a game?

In the next revision, we'll force the how to play screens on first startup.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2009, 09:55:46 AM »

Just teasin' bro!  Beer!

Hey, no problem. It just hit me because these were actual snags or conscious choices made during development that I thought were better than the alternative. I'm sorry to hear they weren't, after all.

I can definitely relate... I've had problems with this stuff on most games I've worked on. (whenever you're trying to find interesting new gameplay, you run into the hurdle of how to explain it to people) It feels really shitty when someone doesn't get it in spite of all your efforts.

I've even had people who don't realize how to save in Aquaria, even though there is a pop-up that always appears when you get anywhere near the save crystals. (and you're forced to pass one early on)

falsion
« Reply #119 on: August 19, 2009, 03:25:40 PM »

I thought just watching someone else perform it would've been a clue. Honestly the crouch-fucking is the "pro" move of the game; you can keep someone from punching a sexing pair on your team just as well, if not better, by simply jabbing them away when they come close. Not explicitly telling people how to pin, even though we really do, is sort of a way of trying to emphasize paying attention to your team.

Not really. I actually tried to show someone how to do it from the game alone and you can't due to the lag. Even if you slowly crouch and then tap the button, it won't make a difference since the other players will just see you doing it anyway without even getting a chance to see how you did it.

Not only that, but the execution of the move is very fickle. Even if you do it right, it sometimes flat out refuses to work due to input dropping or if the other character happens to be in a awkward place like a slight incline that interferes with the collision detection.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic