Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:21:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoMr. Jones' Dream [not NSFW] [FINISHED!]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Mr. Jones' Dream [not NSFW] [FINISHED!]  (Read 39209 times)
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 05:55:11 AM »

Oh, man, it's looking awesome!  Can't wait to play it!
Thanks!  I've uploaded the final version; please see the first post.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2009, 10:58:11 AM »

The Pink Floyd references are rather cute.  Wink

This game is a lot longer than I expected.  Hopefully I finish it later tonight; I gotta go find me some numbers.

Good work!  Beer!

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2009, 11:02:37 AM »

The Pink Floyd references are rather cute.  Wink
It seems like a lot of my games have Pink Floyd references - R-Theta II had the Echoes "ping" as a sound effect, and Ceramic Shooter had several Dark Side of the Moon references.

I gotta go find me some numbers.
Ha-ha, good luck!  Smiley

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2009, 11:07:39 AM »

Yeah, I used to stick a lot of PF references in my own work.  Actually, I guess I still do.

It's just so easy!  Shrug

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2009, 11:29:16 AM »

Yeah, I used to stick a lot of PF references in my own work.  Actually, I guess I still do.

It's just so easy!  Shrug
I think a Jethro Tull Aqualung reference would be very appropriate for your current project.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2009, 11:43:11 AM »

Please don't make me.  Shocked

I'm so glad many good games like Mr. Jones' Dream and Cock Blockers are in the compo.  The last thing TIGS needs is for a game about child molesting to win.  I'm sure that'll go over REAL well with the community at large.  Facepalm Facepalm

MultiPigeon
Level 0

Executive Walrus

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2009, 11:47:53 AM »

I haven't played through the game completely but I have found a bug.

It seems that if you during a jump hit the ceiling in the beginning of your jump animation, you gain the ability to jump again. By doing this, you can repeatedly jump to travel along the ceiling. I managed to get to the number lock in the underground tunnels without the "bird" by using this technique.

My creative side is as big as my lazy side.
The possessor of many ideas.
The accomplisher of few.
Canute
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2009, 09:09:37 AM »

I love it! Nothing is better in my book than well executed absurdism and strange humor.
Had myself a great laugh at the dollar monster so far, that was hillarius! And now I'm stuck at the numbers, but I hadn't the patice so I quit. I'll try it again soon though; it looks really promising.
pgil
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 10:59:30 AM »

Love the music. Love the absurd situations that you can create. Oh, and the ending (at least I think it's the ending) was really cool. 
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2009, 11:04:13 AM »

Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of the ending myself.... I'm not even sure it WAS the end!

Ah well, it was pretty neat.  I never did get a chance to use that phaser though.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 04:23:35 AM »

Quote from: MultiPigeon
It seems that if you during a jump hit the ceiling in the beginning of your jump animation, you gain the ability to jump again. By doing this, you can repeatedly jump to travel along the ceiling. I managed to get to the number lock in the underground tunnels without the "bird" by using this technique.
This bug has been fixed in Version 1.2 (please re-download, as I have also fixed other problems with getting stuck trying to lead the Fertilizer).  This problem was associated entirely with the <Z>-key; and since I usually use the <UP> key while testing, I didn't catch it at first.  Thanks for finding this!

Quote from: Canute
I love it! Nothing is better in my book than well executed absurdism and strange humor.
Thanks - this is exactly what I was going for.

Quote from: pgil
Love the music.
Thank-you; all of the music was self-recorded, and all of it (except Holy from "Mass of Creation" was self-composed).  I personally think music is integral to atmosphere, in some ways moreso than graphics.

Quote from: pgil
Oh, and the ending (at least I think it's the ending) was really cool.
Quote from: Aquin
Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of the ending myself.... I'm not even sure it WAS the end!
[SPOILER]
Once you find the oil and crown, and turn back into a human, you can play the organ.  This musical sequence (the somewhat funky organ solo with lots of delay) is the ending.  It represents Mr. Jones' final triumph over his drab life (at least in the dream, though presumably in real life as well), through the use of creative expression.
[/SPOILER]

Thanks, everyone!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 11:38:19 AM by Theta » Logged

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2009, 11:58:02 AM »

Just curious, to all of those who played through this, what weapon(s) did you use in the Robot Combat Room?  Were there any favorites?  That section of the game was particularly fun to program . . . Smiley

And for the important question:  How did you interpret the game's themes?  Most of the game's elements are there for a reason; despite the game's seemingly random nature, almost every element of the game is actually a symbol.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2009, 01:55:34 PM »

I honestly never even thought about it.  I've been playing japanese platformers and western adventure games for so long, nothing even seemed remotely 'odd' or 'out of place' or even 'metaphorical'.

But my mind is warped beyond the ability to recognize symbols of reality.  Please consider me an outlier.

The phaser was fun, but I think the shotgun was probably my favourite.  There's just something satisfying about a shotgun to the face.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2009, 02:34:10 PM »

I honestly never even thought about it.  I've been playing japanese platformers and western adventure games for so long, nothing even seemed remotely 'odd' or 'out of place' or even 'metaphorical'.
This is true; so many games put "random" stuff in just to be different, yet there is often no underlying meaning.

The phaser was fun, but I think the shotgun was probably my favourite.  There's just something satisfying about a shotgun to the face.
Which weapon did you find first?

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2009, 02:43:15 PM »

I found the shotgun first, but I found the phaser shortly thereafter.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2009, 03:11:14 PM »

I realy enjoyed this game dude grats   Grin

Asdf64
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2009, 06:40:35 PM »

The game seems great, but I've been stuck on the numbers part for the longest time. 3=5; but 6=3;, I can't make heads or tails of it. Which is a shame cause the whole robot part looks great.  Sad
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2009, 07:08:50 PM »

@Aquin:
My personal favorite is the grenade launcher, though until you can get that, the shotgun is fun too.

@Farmergnome:
Thanks, glad you liked it!

The game seems great, but I've been stuck on the numbers part for the longest time. 3=5; but 6=3;, I can't make heads or tails of it. Which is a shame cause the whole robot part looks great.  Sad
Here is a subtle hint to that puzzle:

[spoiler]
This puzzle is about letters and numbers.  Notice how it's "Three = 5" and "Six = 3," not "3 = 5" and "6 = 3" (the actual words are important).
[/spoiler]

Here is the actual answer:

[bigger spoiler]
Count the number of letters in each number word below the digit-holsters, e.g. the word "five" has four letters, and "eleven" has six letters.  Thus, the answer to the puzzle is 4-4-6-3.
[/bigger spoiler]

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2009, 10:19:01 AM »

Just in case if my host-a.net bandwidth runs out (which it shouldn't any time soon), I have uploaded two more mirrors:

Mirror II
Mirror III

Also, this got reviewed on indiegames.com, along with Jiro-Sum and Back-Door Man.

adam a
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2009, 04:53:21 PM »

I just played the game through. It was really well pitched throughout and I really enjoyed it. As a platformer it is not perfect, it's a bit floaty and sometimes hard to control. I found I got a bit lost in the caves, maybe this is the intention, but lots of the areas look the same. But the focus is obviously the plot and the ideas, and the game achieves a really perfect mood. There are loads of really great moments were something happens that you didn't expect like [spoiler]when you get turned into a bird, I wasn't expecting that, even though the guy hints that a bird can fly up the hole, I kind of assumed that a bird would come out of the egg and it kind of surprised me. All the incidental speech is great too, how characters' speech changes when you become a bird ("birds can't play the organ"), or when I tried to shoot the creepy guy and then felt bad after the woman said I'd be just like him.[/spoiler]

In all, good job.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic