Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:23:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoMr. Jones' Dream [not NSFW] [FINISHED!]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Mr. Jones' Dream [not NSFW] [FINISHED!]  (Read 39134 times)
edmundito
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2009, 08:16:43 PM »

I'm really liking this game so far! I haven't completed it, so I'll shout another comment when I DO finish it. I got stuck on the numbers and read the little hint on the forum, then I figured it all out. Tongue
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2009, 06:33:48 AM »

. . . it's a bit floaty . . .
This was the intent - I always thought that floaty jumping conveys a dreamlike atmosphere.

[spoiler]when you get turned into a bird, I wasn't expecting that, even though the guy hints that a bird can fly up the hole, I kind of assumed that a bird would come out of the egg and it kind of surprised me. All the incidental speech is great too, how characters' speech changes when you become a bird ("birds can't play the organ"), or when I tried to shoot the creepy guy and then felt bad after the woman said I'd be just like him.[/spoiler]
Glad you picked up on this.  In general, I wanted the other characters to be very focused on Mr. Jones' actions.  After all, he is the star of his own dream.  Also, [SPOILER]Despite his short appearance in this game, Machikne (the creepy guy) is supposed to be a complicated character, evoking both pity and disgust.  His name actually is actually a very vulgar word in Nepali.  [/SPOILER]

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2009, 11:20:50 AM »

some objects, and places will keep their secret. maybe this is intended, since not everything has to makes sense Wink  it's a weird dream, after all...
The game is a bit of an allegory, so most of the objects and places have some sort of meaning, or at least reference something that has to do with the main themes.  Though I have my own ideas for the game's intended symbolism, I realize some of the symbols can be pretty ambiguous to others.  This ambiguity is indeed intentional - I didn't want the game to flaunt its intended meaning like a political cartoon.  I think anyone's interpretation of the game's symbolism is just as valid as my own intended meanings; the mere act of thinking about it is a crucial part of the game.

[spoiler about the end]When Mr. Jones plays the organ, that is the end.  The funky music starts, and you can't exit until it fades out into the main menu.  It represents Mr. Jones' final triumph over his drab life (at least in the dream, though presumably in real life as well), through the use of creative expression.[/spoiler about the end]

Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2009, 03:22:09 AM »

Really good game with lots of interesting ideas in it. I like the music best of all.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2009, 06:47:42 AM »

Quote from: Jabberwock
Really good game with lots of interesting ideas in it. I like the music best of all.
I like how the music turned out too.  Actually recording music "live" is a a lot of fun, and I feel like you can do more by using this method than when everything is synthesized.  For example, muting the strings of a baby grand piano with my left hand while playing the appropriate bass keys with my right hand - this is how I did that ostinato for the underground music.  I don't think that sound can be fully synthesized.

demolam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2009, 05:54:09 AM »

Question:Is there some way to become a human again after you have transformed into a bird?
Otherwise it seems like I'm stuck and have to start all over, which I don't have the patience for right now. Other than that issue, I really liked the game, despite the graphics (which are way to simplistic for my taste) and the somewhat strangely floating jumps. The game and level design where great, which is wy I kept playing I believe. You may receive one of my votes, depending on the quality of games which I have yet to play. In your favor is that your game is actually a game and not an interactive fiction (unlike many of the other interesting candidates).

"Jag hätär inte Klas-Kent"
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2009, 06:07:29 AM »

Otherwise it seems like I'm stuck and have to start all over, which I don't have the patience for right now.
Question:Is there some way to become a human again after you have transformed into a bird?
You are not stuck:
Yes - there is a Species Adjustment Room to do that.  You, however, need a passcode to get in that room.

Thanks for the comments - I was definitely trying to create an interactive way to tell an allegorical story, surreal as it may be.

demolam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2009, 11:32:43 AM »

You are not stuck:
Yes - there is a Species Adjustment Room to do that.  You, however, need a passcode to get in that room.

Aha, I'll just take one other spin through the whole cave then. Thanks, now I will make sure to complete it. Extra points to you for the fast answear.

demolam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2009, 01:42:09 PM »

Ok, apparently I'm an idiot who can't read a simple sign. I've finished it now finally anyway. I have an idea about what you wanted to say with the ending, but it's probably not what you had in mind.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 02:59:19 PM by demolam » Logged

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2009, 04:41:38 PM »

I have an idea about what you wanted to say with the ending, but it's probably not what you had in mind.
What was your idea?

jot2b
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2009, 09:48:49 AM »

As symbolism goes, I'm don't care too much what it all means by the end of the game.  A good piece of work speaks for itself, and delivers on a gut level.

It's the best game of the competition.
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2009, 07:43:17 AM »

As symbolism goes, I'm don't care too much what it all means by the end of the game.  A good piece of work speaks for itself, and delivers on a gut level.

It's the best game of the competition.
Thank you!  Even though I didn't win, I'm still pleased with the outcome of this.  Perhaps the game did not fit with the "spirit" of the competition?

I'm glad you got it at a "gut" level - that is the intent of a lot of things that attempt to be "surreal."  I was definitely going for this, in addition to trying to create a sort of allegory.

jot2b
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2009, 11:02:39 AM »

Re: thoughts on the ending.  To me the message here was, a man can spend his whole life trying to figure out what to do or who to be.  There are a lot of traps and distractions, but he must not forget one of the most important things: PLAY.  And keep playing.  Good stories to me usually revolve around this kind of theme, where love conquers all in the end.  I was surprised how touched I was by the ending to Mr. Jones Dream.  The playful and unrestrained music really inspires.

Also laughed pretty heartily at THE EDGE GAMES reference!   Big Laff Big Laff
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2009, 07:45:16 PM »

@jot2b:
I like this interpretation!  Throughout the game, I attempted to make several references to things that aren't true love, (e.g. lust and basic biological functions), but I think Mr. Jones breaks free of all of this as he approaches the end.  Also, the music was central to the game's design - I'm glad you liked it.

As for the Edge Games reference, I found that whole fiasco to be quite amusing.  It really was ridiculous (and appalling at the same time).

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic