Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:26:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 466
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 2617368 times)
antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: June 27, 2011, 03:53:39 AM »

fail

Congrats relix! You have improooooooved a ton since I first saw your work. Great job!!!

Um, are you complimenting me based on Shawny's work? Because that's what you quoted.
Wow, My mistake. I must have copied the wrong picture url. Terribly sorry. Didnt preview. I wanted to put in YOUR piece. Sorry.

Rykuth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: June 28, 2011, 05:36:04 PM »

I doubt anyone remembers, but a while ago I posted a mock-up of a game I've been working on for a while. At the time I had a 32x32 main character and a moderately detailed style, but that ended up being too complicated for what I had in mind for the game (over 50 different enemy types and an equally large set of moves for the player). After giving up on the game for a while I decided to go back to it and simplify everything.

The game is a metroidvania where the player unlocks different moves by killing a certain number of one enemy type. Each enemy has an associated move, and as I said there's around 50 enemy types. The world is fairly large to accommodate all the different enemies. The main weapon is a mouse-aimed gun which can be upgraded.

This is what I've got for a main character now. The images on top are a walk/run/sprint cycle, and the bottom image has examples of what the main character will look like with different powers. If anyone's interested I can go into what each power does.

As far as the style goes I took some inspiration from jwaap and serene.

One thing I'm unsure about is how I'm going to handle the terrain since it's not tile-based in the mockup I have there. The game world is approximately 16,000 x 11,000 pixels so hand-drawing the terrain for all that would be a bit overwhelming, but I really like the look of the mockup. If anyone knows how to get that hand-drawn look while still using tiles I'd love to hear it.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3102 on: June 28, 2011, 06:00:16 PM »

you could try organic 'tiles' that aren't grid-aligned, like aquaria?

Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: June 29, 2011, 07:41:02 AM »

Really liking that Rykuth!

---

I hope it's just me, but she looks kinda...psycho. I know it looked a lot better in paper...but I don't have a scanner ;__;

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: June 29, 2011, 08:10:46 AM »

Have you considered scaling up the sprite to something like 8x or 16x, and then drawing over it? That way the portrait will more accurately reflect the sprite itself.

Obviously if you want the portrait to be in a different pose, then this wouldn't work.  Smiley

Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3105 on: June 29, 2011, 08:32:07 AM »

Yeah, tried it once, dunno why it didn't work out. Maybe I'll try again...

Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: June 29, 2011, 11:33:29 AM »

Relix, I see a lot of the same mochups from you all over this topic. A lot being WIP's. The point I want to make is that a lot of your posts include minor updates of previous "mockups", which intern means that the previous were not mockups at all. A mock up should emulate what you think the "final product and variant themes/levels " will look like with all assets that should be included (backgrounds, foliage, characters etc), and not minor changes with missing assets on something your always working on.

Please complete a mockup before posting it. Its frustrating seeing the same thing over and over again with minor changes. If after a while you feel you have improved your games assets then please go a head and post a different and finished mockup of that. But until then I think myself and others would rather like it if you kept your questions, doodles and  minor improvements to is appropriate topic i.e. your workshop topic.

Good day to you  Toast Left
Mr Grumpy
Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: June 29, 2011, 12:03:40 PM »

The workshop is (sometimes) simply too slow to get feedback when needed. And people here give feedback, so clearly not everyone thinks the same way as you.

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3108 on: June 29, 2011, 12:28:28 PM »

Mr. Grumpy is right though.

No offense to you, but what you're posting belongs into the Pixel Art or Workshop threads.

This topic doesn't seem so much as "Help me refine this character portrait until it's perfect" - that would be a bit bizarre considering what a mockup is supposed to do, don't you think?

So yeah, feel free to go on posting incremental updates, but don't explode when someone points out that fact.

(← new art twitter)
Rykuth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: June 29, 2011, 05:39:37 PM »

you could try organic 'tiles' that aren't grid-aligned, like aquaria?

Hmm, something like that would probably work. Since I'm not the greatest at programming I'll probably be using something like game maker, or maybe flixel, to create the game. Does anyone know if there's any tools that support irregular "tiling" like that or are most of them grid based?

@Relix thanks for the comment! I really like seeing your stuff progress.
Nix
« Reply #3110 on: June 29, 2011, 06:13:08 PM »

It really shouldn't be called "organic 'tiling'". There's nothing too spectacular about it. It's just using regular old sprites to define the level rather than a tile-based grid, and GameMaker can certainly do that (as can pretty much everything else).
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3111 on: June 29, 2011, 09:39:59 PM »

Proof of concept for some kind of 1930s, 999-style room escape adventure game. (sprites are placeholders)

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3112 on: June 29, 2011, 11:40:52 PM »

It really shouldn't be called "organic 'tiling'"
I don't know what else to call it.

Nix
« Reply #3113 on: June 29, 2011, 11:55:28 PM »

It really shouldn't be called "organic 'tiling'"
I don't know what else to call it.

hmm, you're right. Sprite-based rather than tile-based? Dunno