Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:17:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 466
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 2616932 times)
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: December 26, 2011, 04:57:47 PM »

The screenshot is good. The pitch is everything I dream of playing.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4101 on: December 26, 2011, 05:19:51 PM »

The screenshot is good. The pitch is everything I dream of playing.
this

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4102 on: December 26, 2011, 05:23:50 PM »

Good to see you still working on this. Make it happen. Animate those bits of dirt either as particles that just really slowly float apart or as some sort of sin wave floatyfloat anim. Be careful with FGBG separation in the cave too, and if you can, find a way of highlighting the players less boistrously - perhaps different coloured outlines for each player rather than white+name?

AntiPseudonym
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: December 26, 2011, 07:42:23 PM »

A first-person survival game set in the newly-christened Europe, and blends elements of early christianity with lots of paganism and folk religions.
RPG elements include inventory and limited herbalism and crafting.
Hunt and avoid wild animals, survive the supernatural forest, discover the mystery of the dark lake inside, embrace the gifts that the spirits give you.

Getting a total Thief vibe from that.
roboprez
Level 1

Got to love them pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4104 on: December 26, 2011, 10:39:42 PM »

something i wanna make. Never really done any pixel art before, so ahh!

This has made me seriously consider converting the rogue-like i'm making to isometric. Seriously great!

Retro
Level 2

Matej Jan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4105 on: December 27, 2011, 02:35:46 PM »

I was revisiting my stash of (ambitious) game ideas and found this mock-up for a music game from a few years ago in the high times of Rock Band instrument bonanza.

Never got around to doing it - except for a drum machine, so that one of my friends could practice drumming with the drum kit.

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4106 on: December 28, 2011, 03:11:27 AM »

I have some art experience, but none with animation, no. Should be a fun learning process!

I've been putting together an actual tileset, and the art style has morphed to something a little less energetic.

Blog subscribed!   Beer!
If I can comment about the tileset, I think smaller wall/floor tiles might look better proportionally, and it would allow for more information on screen.

pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4107 on: December 28, 2011, 03:34:01 PM »

Sorry for the wall of text/proto design doc, hopefully you'll find it at least mildly interesting.

Endless/distant/destined peak

Foreword

I have, for a couple of years now, been excited by the "new" way some indie platformers have been applying graphics. Games like Aquaria, Braid and many more have abandoned the rigid square tile graphics and have instead embraced big sprites, placed much more liberally to create something that is more akin to a painting than a rigorous, square-based level. I've looked at these games and thought to myself "hey, I WANT to do that, and I think I probably COULD do that!".
I've also been playing more and more procedurally generated, cruel games (1500+ deaths on spelunky comes to mind) and have strayed from thinking of AAA-titles as the be-all end-all way to make games. I feel I want to make something truly cruel, yet beautiful and... relaxing? Thus, Endless Peak.

What is it?

Endless peak is (=would be), in a nutshell, a procedurally generated mountain climber platformer. The player is faced with a daunting task - reach the top of a magnificent mountain with only a few ropes, bolts and sunny demeanor to help him/her.
NO monsters!
LOTS OF hilariously inaccessible areas!

Look and feel
Graphics

I want to make something that's visually appealing and seems fairly painterly done - a lot of color, cute animals and interesting details most everywhere. Set pieces would often be puzzles disguised as ruins, otherworldly rock formations or perhaps airplane cemeteries. The sky should more often than not be a wonderful shade of blue with birds flying in the horizon, clouds moving to and fro, gusts of dusty winds blowing gently in the mid/foreground. The character would probably be somewhat cartoony of course, to fit in with the surroundings.

Sound

Think ambient - I want to capture the sense of wonderful 'loneliness' that can only be achieved when you're far away from everyone else on a mountain or in a forest.
perfect example:

sort of relevant:

Mechanics
Movement on plain surfaces would be similar/identical to the way most platformers deal with movement, namely running and jumping. When moving up against more vertical surfaces the player sticks to them, being able to move on them at the cost of *endurance* - working much the same way as... I think it's called the same... in the game "shadow of the colossus" - namely it's a bar that depletes when you climb (or swim), but is slowly replenished if resting.
You can use items - of which there are 3(4) distinct types:*ropes* *bolts* and *held*(and *upgrades*).

Ropes can be attached or detached to bolts and/or certain things in the environment. Climbing up ropes costs significantly less endurance than climbing on rock faces - and you're able to somewhat 'ninja rope' (a technique from the Worms franchise, where you rock the rope to create a pendulum movement).

Bolts can be attached or detached to most surfaces

Held items is a fairly broad category - held items can only be held one at a time. held items could include consumables, 'quest items' or simpler objects, enabling the player to interact more with the environment.

Upgrades could include *longer fall before lethal*, *endurance +*, *rope max+*, *bolts max+*, *higher jump*, *faster climb* etc.

WORTH NOTING: NPCs, checkpoints, weather (wind) affecting the character. Rockfalls?

How would this work?

Well, one way to do it would be to use a rough polygonal surface to define a very, very big mountain using some cute algorithm. The polygon lines are then used to place sprites containing their own collision maps. At certain set intervals of altitudes points of interest are added - essentially premade set pieces, npcs, upgrades&items that hopefully is possible to access.

Hopefully this will cause things like 50 meter horizontal ceilings you have to traverse, strange rock formations up the wazoo and hillarious deaths due to failure to plan ahead.

How would this work pt2: gameplay:

How to make all this actually be theoretically fun? Well, essentially the distances between resting spots should be much greater than what you can climb on rock faces, making retrieval of ropes and bolts, finding of new ones and appropriate sacrifices (assuming X amount of bolts/ropes stay placed in the environment on respawn) a big part of gameplay. Important things to get right include climbing, jumping whilst climbing and ninjaroping as these would be used a lot. I want to convey feel as much as I want to apply fun gameplay - making 2d climbing fun is a huge challenge and not one I feel I can tackle without something to play around with - if even then!

This is of course only a silly little idea made by an artist, thus graphics and feel have come first, gameplay second and regard for programmer sanity wouldn't even be worth mentioning.

TL;DR: mountain climber roguelike.

I AM FREE!
Bandages
« Reply #4108 on: December 28, 2011, 03:39:56 PM »

That idea is fucking fantastic and I'd give you money to play a finished product of something like that

Randomly generated games are always more fun (for me) because there's always a new way to approach a situation. That, and your art/initial designs are breathtaking!
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4109 on: December 28, 2011, 04:34:37 PM »

Great idea, I'd love to play this!

And also I like the art style  Kiss

Ashkin
« Reply #4110 on: December 28, 2011, 05:59:49 PM »

I would pay good money for a game like that.
leonelc29
« Reply #4111 on: December 28, 2011, 06:36:48 PM »

i emailed my money to you. freaking awesome
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4112 on: December 28, 2011, 06:52:19 PM »

a game where you climb a mountain! this is such a simple and  great idea, has that already been done?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Ashkin
« Reply #4113 on: December 28, 2011, 06:57:32 PM »

a game where you climb a mountain! this is such a simple and  great idea, has that already been done?
I think moi has probably ascended to the god-tier of sarcasm at this point.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4114 on: December 28, 2011, 06:59:16 PM »

this is not sarcasm

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: December 28, 2011, 07:06:48 PM »

It's just irony.
Ashkin
« Reply #4116 on: December 28, 2011, 07:33:32 PM »

this is not sarcasm
EXACTLY.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4117 on: December 28, 2011, 07:59:04 PM »

Can anyone name a game where you must climb a mountain (and one that is not a playstation "extreme sports" crap).

leonelc29
« Reply #4118 on: December 28, 2011, 08:02:40 PM »

ice climber and GIRP. does it count?
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: December 28, 2011, 08:03:33 PM »

Yes, I can name a few... well, describe. I forgot the names.

There was the VS. Compo one (that was fun).

There was the one that had procedurally generated mountains (you named the mountain) and involved lots of clever usage of ropes.

There was GIRP.

And there was Ice Climbers.
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 466
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic