Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:18:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 466
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 2617184 times)
Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5960 on: January 03, 2013, 05:25:30 AM »

Trying out some wall/roof material combos. I had a hard time with the brick colour and it still doesn't look quite right.

you're mixing 3 art styles, you shouldn't do that.
(Grass | Wooden stuff, and the interior/floors | furnace, and it's fire, and it's pipe)

namragog
« Reply #5961 on: January 03, 2013, 05:54:11 AM »

Trying out some wall/roof material combos. I had a hard time with the brick colour and it still doesn't look quite right.

This is very, very good. It's really cute, and that's saying something for a house. I'd go middle-left, with some browner walls.
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: January 03, 2013, 06:02:08 AM »

(Grass | Wooden stuff, and the interior/floors | furnace, and it's fire, and it's pipe)

I wouldn't be too strict about rules like these. Different materials require different styles to portray, particularly in low-resolution art - you wouldn't add outlines to the fire even if everything else has them. The clash isn't very dramatic, and even serves to highlight the focuses of the image. The subtlety of the grass means attention is drawn to man-made structures, and because the pipe is monochrome, it helps the impression that it's attached to the back wall rather than floating in the middle of the room.

Still, consistency is appealing, so I like the top-left house the most.

The only thing that seems "off" is the contrast between two types of ground, but I'll admit it makes more sense in the zoomed-out Harvestcraft shots.
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: January 03, 2013, 06:16:33 AM »

What nonsense. What styles? Everything looks pretty much the same which is actually the big problem.

Polycube, try to mix it up a bit by pixeling different textures for different materials. And instead of using a solid outline/fill try to create shapes out of highlights and shadows. This should work especially well on darker backgrounds like the inside of your house.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5964 on: January 03, 2013, 07:46:07 AM »

@polycube - Like green said and showed through his edit, different materials should be drawn different ways. I think part of the problem is that every tile in the house looks like a disconnected block - they've all got seams and outlines, and don't flow together. Each individual roof tile looks separated from the rest. It's more obvious on the brick tiles than the wood-beamed ones. The lack of shading is also a bit off-putting to me.

It's not bad by any means, but it could look more 'together'. That's pretty much all I'm trying to say.

As a side-note, the doors are facing outward, toward us, rather than toward the outside of the house. It shouldn't be too difficult to fix, and should make it a lot easier to tell when a door's open or not.

Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5965 on: January 03, 2013, 07:50:19 AM »

I wouldn't be too strict about rules like these. Different materials require different styles to portray, particularly in low-resolution art - you wouldn't add outlines to the fire even if everything else has them. The clash isn't very dramatic, and even serves to highlight the focuses of the image. The subtlety of the grass means attention is drawn to man-made structures, and because the pipe is monochrome, it helps the impression that it's attached to the back wall rather than floating in the middle of the room.

Still, consistency is appealing, so I like the top-left house the most.

The only thing that seems "off" is the contrast between two types of ground, but I'll admit it makes more sense in the zoomed-out Harvestcraft shots.

You looked at this from a angle i didn't think off, i have learnt something new :3 . i'm terrible at 'leading the viewers eyes', and scene setup.  Blink

geepit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: January 03, 2013, 08:05:08 AM »

These look really cool, personally I like the top and middle left ones the best, I don't necessarily think the disconnected look of the blocks is a bad thing as from what I've seen of harestcraft I'm guessing it involves building your own house and the style kind of works with that (minecraft blocky house esque)
Also i agree with Solarlune about the perspective of the doors.
polycube
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5967 on: January 03, 2013, 01:22:30 PM »

Thanks for the critiques and comments everyone. I was mostly trying to figure out what kind of options I can give the player when it comes to house building while still making it read properly. I'll keep the suggestions in mind for the next time I do a full revision of the pixel art.

Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5968 on: January 03, 2013, 01:25:53 PM »

Those look pretty cool, but I think you should maybe give everything a bit darker of an outline? Just a suggestion

CatStack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: January 03, 2013, 04:52:06 PM »

Better, but the shiny effect on "HP" kind of hurts its readability. Make sure the contrast is high between the outline and the inside. Also, you might want to color the inside of your inventory slots. I'm not 100% sure, though. Maybe the grass could be darker? It's a bit bright.

Thanks again!

I've played around with it again as per your suggestion. The background is a bit darker, and some of the other elements are to match (otherwise it looks kind of odd). With the inventory slots, the idea I was going for was that there was a spell being fired, and the slots fill up with a colour (in this case blue) to signify that they can be used again - the idea then was that transparent slots would signify that they could not be used because they're empty. In this case I've just filled the unusable slots with grey.

Edit:
Palette further refined:

Another idea for an area; a shanty town in a land-fill site:

I may make a thread to prevent spamming this up.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:47:33 AM by Lightnix » Logged

Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5970 on: January 04, 2013, 01:34:16 AM »

Thanks!  Yeah, it's going to be kind of a cross between a platformer and a SHMUP, where you run along the ground and shoot at enemies up in the air (who will also drop things down onto you).

I'm going to pretend that replying to something that's less than a week old will not count as a dredge, even if it's two pages back now ;P

I'm really curious about this concept! It could be locked to one screen, like an old arcade game, or involve sidescrolling like most 2D platformers. Both sound interesting, so I have to ask, do you know which one it will be more like at this point?
mindbrk;
« Reply #5971 on: January 04, 2013, 03:31:34 PM »

WIP thing...
initials
Level 2

Initials

View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: January 04, 2013, 05:33:15 PM »

This is so amazing. I'd love to make a game using this as a base. I know everyone wants to make a huge sprawling game like Zelda or Wonderboy in Monster Land, but if you were interested in turning this into a small game, it could be awesome and I'd love to help.

Initials
VFX/Games/Music
Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart.
geepit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: January 04, 2013, 06:07:07 PM »

Just a quick thing, 4x4 tiles
Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5974 on: January 05, 2013, 12:26:46 AM »

Just a quick thing, 4x4 tiles

Ooh I like that  Evil

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #5975 on: January 05, 2013, 01:17:52 AM »

snip

Good choice of colors. ^_^
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5976 on: January 06, 2013, 11:19:44 AM »

This morning I had an idea for a game. Online two-player cannon game where you have to destroy the opponent's base. You gradually collect money and can use it to upgrade/repair cannons or build new ones. Either go after the enemy base or try destroying the turrets first. The game would be played with simultaneous turns. You play around with your cannons and once both players are ready the battle happens.

The terrain could be deformed and once you undermine a cannon it collapses but you can upgrade to have deeper foundations.

Ideally this could be played on the computer as well as tablets. There aren't many games mobile players can play with PC players.

(Click for full image)

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5977 on: January 06, 2013, 11:48:18 AM »

This would be amazing for mobile devices
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5978 on: January 06, 2013, 12:50:45 PM »

Yeah, it sounds like the sort of game people would play on mobile devices specifically. I can see it becoming pretty popular.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: January 06, 2013, 09:13:15 PM »

This morning I had an idea for a game. Online two-player cannon game where you have to destroy the opponent's base. You gradually collect money and can use it to upgrade/repair cannons or build new ones. Either go after the enemy base or try destroying the turrets first. The game would be played with simultaneous turns. You play around with your cannons and once both players are ready the battle happens.

The terrain could be deformed and once you undermine a cannon it collapses but you can upgrade to have deeper foundations.

Ideally this could be played on the computer as well as tablets. There aren't many games mobile players can play with PC players.

http://eigen.pri.ee/images/multiplayer_cannon_game_thumb.png

Woo hoo, a Tank Wars upgrade!

I can't tell you how many hundreds of hours I spent playing that back in the 90s. DO IT! Beer!Hand Joystick
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 466
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic