Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:52:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 466
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 2630067 times)
rickardwestman
Level 1

--- Visiontrick Media --- P A V I L I O N

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6280 on: February 26, 2013, 03:55:57 PM »

Unicorn Apocalypse entry?
no, haven't heard of that. These are just simple unique horned horses.

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #6281 on: February 26, 2013, 04:10:40 PM »

@rickardwestman

ofhdziebflksbfgb this is awesome, not this is aweALL

holy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6282 on: February 26, 2013, 04:29:55 PM »

Flicka

Flash game I want to make.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:55:45 PM by holy » Logged

i make chiptunes and art.
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6283 on: February 26, 2013, 04:34:11 PM »

@rickardwestman: I'm normally not a fan of "overly-surreal" stuff, but your work is just sooooooooo good.  Keep it up!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #6284 on: February 26, 2013, 04:39:47 PM »

@holy  Kiss

holy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6285 on: February 26, 2013, 04:42:57 PM »

@holy  Kiss

thank you!!!! Smiley i have now found a programmer so I think this could actually  happen Smiley

i make chiptunes and art.
ClayB
« Reply #6286 on: February 26, 2013, 07:31:09 PM »

the UNIQUE HORNED HORSE!  Wizard

THIS IS FKN AWESOME. It's like Commodore64 meets pretty.
siskavard
« Reply #6287 on: February 26, 2013, 07:34:14 PM »

Flicka

Flash game I want to make.

Looks great, can't wait. To see ait.
mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6288 on: February 26, 2013, 07:43:13 PM »

the UNIQUE HORNED HORSE!  Wizard

Are you doing this all by hand, or running some kind of filter or effects.. (the background specifically) I'd like to be able to create a similar effect for transitions in fades in my project. Like before, looks great.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 08:16:07 PM by mushroomized » Logged

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6289 on: February 26, 2013, 07:58:21 PM »

This ghost is awesome, I am getting Adventure Time vibes from it. The whole game looks super nice too.

saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6290 on: February 26, 2013, 10:55:37 PM »

@rickardwestman I don't know what all that is, but something better come of it.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6291 on: February 26, 2013, 11:16:15 PM »

Unicorn Apocalypse entry?
no, haven't heard of that. These are just simple unique horned horses.
"Unique Horned"
Yew-ni-que hor-ned
Yew-ni-quhor-ned
Yew-ni-chor-n
"Unicorn"

Took me too long to get that.

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6292 on: February 27, 2013, 02:38:12 AM »

Work of art.

(And I suspect trippy, headache inducing Jeff Minster esque gameplay?)

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6293 on: February 27, 2013, 02:42:40 AM »

WILLIAM, brings TV, back, in style!

Oh, wow, there's more!

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #6294 on: February 27, 2013, 02:59:40 AM »

Really psychedelic stuff again. The best thing about indie games is this sort of creativity, and your stuff stands miles above all the sugary pixel art mockups in that sense.
rickardwestman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6295 on: February 27, 2013, 04:15:45 AM »

Thank you everyone! Means a lot to hear this feedback. It is great to be able to inspire others as so many of you have inspired me.

I think pixel graphics can still be explored on so many levels. These latest mockups are some on my own explorations and I am glad that you like where I am going.
In the past I have often found that it takes me too long to make pixelated graphics and I am not even that good at it. Everyone else here is definitely kicking my butt there!
I have just been trying to find shortcuts and alternative paths to travel faster but still get to a desired destination. Lately I have found some interesting roads to travel and ended up in some satisfying destinations, which I have shared here.
These roads have been filled with strange fluent creating in the moment workflows, focusing more on the overall mood rather than pixel perfection.
Sometimes it is just a start blank, follow your mind, process. Somethings might just look like the ugliest duckling for an hour and then turn into a sexy swan when you change even the smallest thing.

Also, I use the technical sides of photoshop a lot. Playing with mosaic and invertation offsets, and a huge bunch of other adjustment chains of effects that I have developed on my own to be fast and fluent. I am not to fond of things taking time and showing minimum difference. So I would highly recommend you to try to use the cheesiest PS-filters and pre-set layer effects and try to make it into something cool. Or just something different, (that is how I am fooling you right now Well, hello there! ). Only your own creative mind will be the limitation, and that is just finding your own ways around things I guess, the rest is limitless, infinite.
I myself am still living in the past of CS2 so you don't have to have the latest PS to do interesting stuff either.

Thanks again for the kind words!

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
ClayB
« Reply #6296 on: February 27, 2013, 02:07:54 PM »

You've inspired the hell of me, as someone who mourns the time lost spent chasing the "pixel perfection", the fact that someone can be so wildly experimental and still come up with something akin to a moody adventure game makes me happy.

I'm curious though, are these just pure mockups or have you figured out a way to get these things/effects moving?
rickardwestman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6297 on: February 27, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »

You've inspired the hell of me, as someone who mourns the time lost spent chasing the "pixel perfection", the fact that someone can be so wildly experimental and still come up with something akin to a moody adventure game makes me happy.

I'm curious though, are these just pure mockups or have you figured out a way to get these things/effects moving?

Cool thing to have inspired you!

At the moment they are pure mockups, and I haven't spent any serious time thinking about converting them into a game environment.
Though for the WILLIAM mockups I don't see many problems in making them work pretty smooth. Even the water effect can probably be solved and animated in photoshop. I don't know if there is any randomness to some of the PS-filter effects but if it isn't that means that I could control them, then it is just up to me to find a way that works. I think that most of it can be figured out.

The Unique Horned Horses might be harder to control but I absolutely think a lot of it could be done, At least I would like to believe that until proven otherwise. Though that one was very experimental. But you could probably incorporate the brighter "lines" going across the image in animations and stuff and as overlaying effects. The thing is that I have no programming skills at all so I just think in my own terms of logic. Been working with animated movies for a handful of years so I usually pull my references for solving stuff from there. And it works quite well sometimes... and sometimes not...

Just experimenting is fun enough at the moment Smiley

P A V I L I O N
www.inthepavilion.com
P O R T F O L I O
www.rickardwestman.com
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #6298 on: February 27, 2013, 03:00:46 PM »

a lot of this can be done using post-processing effects, shaders
displacement maps, offsetting color channels.  I don't know about other languages but actionscript makes its so easy to use filters with bitmaps.  I'm sure a coding buddy could get these in motion for ya.
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6299 on: February 27, 2013, 03:04:34 PM »

WILLIAM, brings TV, back, in style!

Oh, wow, there's more!

I will never be able to art this amazingly.

Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 466
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic