Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:44:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 466
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 2630207 times)
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8400 on: September 06, 2014, 06:31:05 PM »

And this is why I want to learn shaders/surfaces. Indexed/palette mapping. I love how things look when you apply translucence/transparency/fake lighting, THEN index it.

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #8401 on: September 06, 2014, 06:40:47 PM »

you should look at this post: http://kpulv.com/333/Dev_Log__Game_Jammin/
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8402 on: September 06, 2014, 07:02:14 PM »

That's what I'm talking about! I love it.

From the article "This idea was inspired by Dan Fessler's HD Index Painting tutorial." - My gif was totally inspired by that tutorial as well!

The technique in the article is similar to other exampels I've seen around. Map pixels to palette coords. Sadly, I'm not that much of an advanced programmer (only general stuff at the moment). Hence why I need to learn a bit of GM's surfaces.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 01:00:35 PM by muki » Logged
increment
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8403 on: September 07, 2014, 06:37:40 PM »

Ashkin there is just something about your stuff that I really dig.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8404 on: September 09, 2014, 06:04:35 AM »

And this is why I want to learn shaders/surfaces. Indexed/palette mapping. I love how things look when you apply translucence/transparency/fake lighting, THEN index it.

This is so extremely good o____0 Sooooo gooooood! This is the best I've seen!

You should definitely get into some shader programming. I took the jump a few months ago, there might be a day or two of boredom and frustration when you can't get anything to look any particular way no matter how hard you try, but after a week or so I think you'd be able to make this gif happen in-game, and whatever even cooler stuff your mind might be able to come up with as well.

Edit: Or maybe it took me 6 weeks or something, I wouldn't know Cheesy It all seems so easy once you're on the other side. But it felt totally worth the time, either way!
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8405 on: September 09, 2014, 08:24:18 AM »

This is so extremely good o____0 Sooooo gooooood! This is the best I've seen!

You should definitely get into some shader programming. I took the jump a few months ago, there might be a day or two of boredom and frustration when you can't get anything to look any particular way no matter how hard you try, but after a week or so I think you'd be able to make this gif happen in-game, and whatever even cooler stuff your mind might be able to come up with as well.

Edit: Or maybe it took me 6 weeks or something, I wouldn't know Cheesy It all seems so easy once you're on the other side. But it felt totally worth the time, either way!

Thanks! To be honest, one thing that bothers me with it is how obviously tiled the scenery is, and how obviously not tiled the skull is. The contrast is a bit too great. But then, this is just a mockup. I can definitely improve it.

I did some looking up on the weekend, found a few shader examples that are close to what I want to achieve. I don't know a whole lot about programming shaders, but I do enough general programming to open the shader up, and reverse it enough to get a gist of what's going on (while changing things and observing results). I think eventually I'll be fine.

By the way, while making this tileset, I had several Rain World screenshots in my 'inspiration' folder. Your work oozes atmosphere! Crazy Kiss The erosion you apply to your levels is just wonderful!
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8406 on: September 12, 2014, 06:25:30 PM »

stuff for it's snowing hard and beautiful

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8407 on: September 16, 2014, 01:06:01 AM »

yet again

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #8408 on: September 22, 2014, 11:17:30 AM »

this is technically a mock up because it's not an in-game shot, but this is one screen from a fairly intricate underground cave/subway system in our game, which is planned to consist of 14 screens(2 of them being double-wide screens, so it could be counted as 16)

5 of these screens are done so far... this will probably be the second largest single area of the game, it's exciting working towards this milestone!

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #8409 on: September 26, 2014, 01:35:03 PM »

This inspired me, so I've got a bit of a Star Foxy kind of thing going here:
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8410 on: September 26, 2014, 01:43:43 PM »

fucking good colors

jtfjtfjtf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8411 on: September 27, 2014, 04:08:32 AM »

Jon Jones vs. Alex Gustafsson in the style of NES Punchout (with more of a super punch out inspired UI). Done for a PJ comp, resized at 2x.

Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8412 on: October 02, 2014, 07:54:37 PM »

Background is obviously too WIP. I want to go for a sunset-kind of feel like what Fallsburg has. I plan to do a huge sunset cityscape background but I'm in a real pickle here..

EDIT: Tried it with colors similar to the reference keo posted, but desaturated a bit..

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:26:17 PM by Medevenx » Logged

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8413 on: October 02, 2014, 11:37:03 PM »

same game

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Julien
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8414 on: October 02, 2014, 11:52:59 PM »

Background is obviously too WIP. I want to go for a sunset-kind of feel like what Fallsburg has. I plan to do a huge sunset cityscape background but I'm in a real pickle here..

EDIT: Tried it with colors similar to the reference keo posted, but desaturated a bit..

Megaman X level 1 ? :D

beestings
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8415 on: October 05, 2014, 07:21:00 AM »

I really like the change in background! But I would say try and make the background a little more radial (I think that's the word I'm looking for) rather than linear! I think it'll make the whole scene a bit more interesting by offsetting with the lines of the foreground and adding some curves!  Smiley

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8416 on: October 05, 2014, 08:27:44 PM »

Not totally a mockup because the game is functional, but I'm drafting out an NES-style skin for my RPG engine. Going to make a quick, no story dungeon crawler with it as a public alpha test so I wanted something really light on art assets. Hopefully it's not too ugly to attract players.

Devr0s
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8417 on: October 06, 2014, 10:38:36 AM »

This is in-game but its essentially mock-up art. Looking for any feedback at all. Its a sci-fi themed "room."

Krumbs
Level 1

Huun Huur Tu

View Profile
« Reply #8418 on: October 09, 2014, 08:25:45 PM »

Had a go at a map mockup using Arne's 64bit colour pallette for the game I'm working on. Want to try and get away from the usual blocky style of platformers, think it turned out alright. Any critiques would be appreciated Smiley
GrumpyGiant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8419 on: October 10, 2014, 08:44:03 PM »

Someday I think I'll get this game finished and published. Code's in place but this artwork... Jeeze, it's more time-consuming than I could ever imagine  Sad

I love this tileset so much!

Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 466
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic