Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:20:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 466
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 2617124 times)
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8480 on: December 01, 2014, 11:33:58 PM »

melly added "Please say this is going to be a game" to the thread title on a whim (as a joke?) and it's kind of grating and I'm hereby requesting that it be named back to just Mockups

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #8481 on: December 02, 2014, 05:02:31 AM »

20% placeholder assets 80% frustration

Wonderful stuff, Catghost

Vadinci
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8482 on: December 04, 2014, 07:43:29 AM »

Not sure if this is going to work out Huh?
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8483 on: December 04, 2014, 01:17:34 PM »

That looks like an Nyet III gimmick.
vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8484 on: December 06, 2014, 02:30:42 PM »

^ That's pretty cool.

However, I think the characters are a bit "unfortunately" proportioned. Like, they're not cute and compact, but they don't really pack on extra details. You might also want to emphasize certain proportions to help make shapes and poses easier to read (like, where's the chin of the scarf people). For example, you might want to try dropping the eyes, making the hair more prominent, and making the proportions more realistic. The robot guy doesn't look menacing enough, both because of his pose and proportions. I think more emphasis on his gun and dome might be a good idea. Just some thoughts.

Keep going with it, though - it looks like it could be fun.

thanks for the advice! I do understand the mech not looking menacing enough, and I'll work on that! However as for the characters, the reason they're proportioned like that is because I'm purposely going for an art style in-between realistic and overly cute, much like a cartoon. Things like big heads, short legs but long arms, long torsos, hands with missing fingers, etc. are cartoon art styles which I adore, and it's what I'm going to convey in the sprites for the game

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8485 on: December 07, 2014, 04:04:34 PM »

^ That's understandable, but I think you're just not emphasizing your points of interest enough. The colors are pretty pale and the style pretty serious for "cartoony", and there's not enough emphasis on faces and heads for expressions to take place on the sprite (it's not like it has to, but expressions are a huge part of cartoons, as I'm sure you know). I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but look at the Pocket Fighter series for (in my opinion) a good example of a "cartoon / chunkification" of more realistically proportioned sprites.

lanzegames
Level 0

We strive for good fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8486 on: December 18, 2014, 07:25:03 AM »

A mock-up of the area I am currently working on.
You can follow me on Twitter for frequent updates.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8487 on: December 18, 2014, 10:08:11 AM »

Character looks super out of place, not mentioning hi-res portrait. Its like tree different artists made this. They all are good, but still.
TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8488 on: December 19, 2014, 11:34:26 PM »

Yeah I think that portrait is really the main thing that throws it off. It all looks really good though, I like the chicken nugget thing.

chris is balls
Level 0

hit me up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8489 on: December 20, 2014, 02:14:36 AM »

☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!
shellbot
« Reply #8490 on: December 21, 2014, 02:09:15 AM »

@TNERB I'm going to have nightmares about that umbilical cord. Looks nice tho.
chris is balls
Level 0

hit me up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8491 on: December 21, 2014, 04:06:00 PM »

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 05:59:38 PM by chris is balls » Logged

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8492 on: December 21, 2014, 10:31:21 PM »

Is that mayhaps actually something that will be done on C64? (hopehopehope)
chris is balls
Level 0

hit me up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8493 on: December 22, 2014, 02:44:36 AM »

I wanted to make an old-school game, reminiscent of the C64, using my own 16 colour palette and a wide pixel resolution. I'm making it in Game Maker but I'm having difficulties programming it.

NazosSystems
« Reply #8494 on: December 27, 2014, 12:41:34 AM »

Hello everyone! I am working on a small puzzle game, right now it's just in mockup state, but I ran into a bit of a problem with it. You see it's the bright side color of the blocks, it just blends with the "chess board". To avoid that I made the blocks have a shadow once they collide with the board. It's a good way to avoid the problem but it's not perfect. Some of the other blocks just don't go that well with this. There just has to be a more efficient solution. I would greatly appreciate your help on this. Also some of the bright colors on some of the blocks just rub me the wrong way, especially red. How would you guys shade this?

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8495 on: December 27, 2014, 04:34:15 AM »

I just assumed the border would be black altogether (not translucent on the board). I mean, it already looks like that outside the board. Also helps give contrast against the empty parts.

Also: place in the L, J and Z pieces (or S if you want a mirror). Next =P
TheMorfeus
Level 0

beep blop boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8496 on: December 27, 2014, 04:54:27 AM »

First of all: Hey there, i'm new here Smiley

Yesterday i got an idea for a detective game. Something in spirit of Papers, Please, where you sit at a desk, connect stuff and catch the criminal. I made some mockups for it, and would like to hear feedback from you guys. IF i actually get down to coding this game, i will probably do a devlog here. Nothing's guaranteed tho.

So... whatcha think?

Are userbars still a thing?
NazosSystems
« Reply #8497 on: December 27, 2014, 05:15:50 AM »

I just assumed the border would be black altogether (not translucent on the board). I mean, it already looks like that outside the board. Also helps give contrast against the empty parts.

Also: place in the L, J and Z pieces (or S if you want a mirror). Next =P

I fail to remember why I was afraid of that but it does seem to work a lot better. Thanks!

TheMorfeus
Level 0

beep blop boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8498 on: December 28, 2014, 06:10:43 PM »

Modified the previous idea a bit, i came up with this:

I already made that board screen into code. Might do a devlog to keep myself focused on that, dunno though.

Are userbars still a thing?
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8499 on: January 03, 2015, 12:09:02 PM »

we're gonna make a game about cool wolves blasting stuff

Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 466
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic