Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:38:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 466
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 2630293 times)
Miko Galvez
Level 7

Designer & Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #940 on: April 14, 2010, 05:16:40 AM »

I don't usually make mockups, and even now I got lazy almost as soon I started. Anyway, opinions and tips please.

I didn't make the character myself << (and I kinda stole the sign and the crate from somewhere, I'll change those two later).

The size reflects what it's going to be in the game itself, I'm starting to think it's too big, any suggestions for the screen size?

I didn't get any comments on this, I'm a sad panda ,_,

Maybe because you didn't place too much effort working on the stage compared to the character.

MegaLeon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #941 on: April 14, 2010, 05:17:07 AM »

alas, this will be hated as it is not cool pixel art. Smiley

but it IS me trying to learn how to manage better GUI design because I suck at that and yet don't want to hire an artist for it, because artists drive me insane with their not-getting-things-done ways. This is at the moment pure mockup, there's no code done yet.

(click for larger)

Oh oh, i'd like this turning into a game.
We need more english princess maker-style games!

*blog - *tweet - *leon
Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 14, 2010, 06:06:32 AM »

I don't usually make mockups, and even now I got lazy almost as soon I started. Anyway, opinions and tips please.

I didn't make the character myself << (and I kinda stole the sign and the crate from somewhere, I'll change those two later).

The size reflects what it's going to be in the game itself, I'm starting to think it's too big, any suggestions for the screen size?

I didn't get any comments on this, I'm a sad panda ,_,

Maybe because you didn't place too much effort working on the stage compared to the character.

It still shows the main point, the tileset and the style, nothing else matters in mockup in my opinion.

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #943 on: April 14, 2010, 07:04:00 AM »

I agree Relix, I think it is sufficient.

I'm really impressed by your ground texture! It's probably my favourite part of the mockup. That said, it jumps out a lot to me, perhaps to the point where it would be visually distracting in a game.

I agree with your thoughts on screen size; currently all the graphics seem suited for a much smaller resolution. The easier option would be to just shift some things around and crop massively. Alternatively, you could increase the size of objects such as the clouds, add detail to the mountains and make the ground tile that can be seen so often much larger so repetition is less obvious.

More of those bits and pieces you've got in the ground would probably be good to, they really help too break the monotony.
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 14, 2010, 07:20:24 AM »

I am in darkness | disoriented.
:3c
There should be more platform games with real lighting.  Kiss
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #945 on: April 14, 2010, 07:35:20 AM »

Quote from: Ben_Hurr

http://www.spelunkyworld.com/xbla.html

I agree  Corny Laugh

Barefists
Level 1

Prepare for unforseen consequences.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #946 on: April 14, 2010, 07:46:48 AM »

I agree  Corny Laugh

3D platformers?

Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 14, 2010, 08:40:26 AM »

I'm really impressed by your ground texture! It's probably my favourite part of the mockup. That said, it jumps out a lot to me, perhaps to the point where it would be visually distracting in a game.

Thanks, I spent a long time on those, I'm still not sure if I managed to get rid of the grid. Would it help, if I made the dirt part a little softer in color? There's no real point playing the game if you keep looking at the ground.

I agree with your thoughts on screen size; currently all the graphics seem suited for a much smaller resolution. The easier option would be to just shift some things around and crop massively. Alternatively, you could increase the size of objects such as the clouds, add detail to the mountains and make the ground tile that can be seen so often much larger so repetition is less obvious.

Dunno, I already have a good deal of coding done, I could easily chance the resolution by switching the two variables and that's it. Or I can make the clouds and mountains better. I just wanted to have the mountains be a simple and looking like they're at a great distance.
Still, I might drop the resolution a little.

More of those bits and pieces you've got in the ground would probably be good to, they really help too break the monotony.

Yeah, maybe I could add plants and other things along with the rocks and bones.

And I still need to make trees, boulders, new signs, new crate and other things that add to the scenery.

And if I make a new mockup, I make it at least a bit more interesting to get more feedback, even a tiny bit of feedback is great for ones motivation.

hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #948 on: April 14, 2010, 10:43:19 AM »

Thanks, I spent a long time on those, I'm still not sure if I managed to get rid of the grid. Would it help, if I made the dirt part a little softer in color? There's no real point playing the game if you keep looking at the ground.

It's a nice texture in itself but there's so MUCH of it and the character is so small... You could do a game about the character being small and insignificant in the scale of things and have the rest of the world hint at giant stuff (which would allow you to have random big cool things underground to break up the dirt) but that's probably a quite different game than you had in mind.

If you want to show off big simple spacious mountains, maybe you could start your levels looking like that and then zoom in to a closer view?

Anyways, that looks very good. I don't know if the glowy-ness around the textboxes really suits the very nice crispness of the background (which looks great btw), but overall it's quite cute. Wowowow that's a lot of stats! This appears to be some sort of wizard/witch/magician school? Smiley

Yeah, it's intended to be a magical school dating sim with mini-rpg segments for the "tests" (what better way to test your students than to throw them into dungeons?) With customisable main characters. I'm throwing in possibly too many features to the design (but they're cool!) which is part of why I don't have anything RUNNING yet...

The background and the character are commissioned art, I can't fake that level of art yet. I'm getting better, but not that much better!

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 14, 2010, 11:05:37 AM »

I agree  Corny Laugh

3D platformers?

Sure why not!
JoGribbs
« Reply #950 on: April 15, 2010, 06:11:56 AM »

Tell me if this is a bad idea.

Two screen shots BTW, it's not DS style.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 06:15:36 AM by JoGribbs » Logged
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #951 on: April 15, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »

i like it!

...but maybe add a bit of white/black to give the eyes some rest: http://homepages.uconn.edu/~mar08022/teaching/2205/Mondrian.jpg

check this for a possible typeface: http://www.p22.com/products/destijl.html

Captain_404
« Reply #952 on: April 15, 2010, 03:51:35 PM »

I was curious about something and reread this entire thread.

number of mockup types in this thread (counted by games rather than pictures):
[category definitions at bottom]

pixel: 217
new pixel: 46
illustrated: 21
vector: 11
other: 7
3D: 6
collage: 4
sketches: 2
ascii: 1

pixel
-DUH!

new pixel
-things that use pixels in way that doesn't scream "HEY! HEY LOOK! I AM MADE OF PIXELS! PIXELS, GUYS!" i.e. Another World type stuff, mspainterly things, textures on pixels, large color fields, anything by serenworx, often times characterized by having a 1:1 resolution

illustrated
-or 'painterly'. mockups obviously done by hand (which aren't new pixel)

vector
-antialiased edges, usually with flat colors, see the work of aeiowu

other
-that weird polished look that most casual games have

3D
-anything in three dimensions

collage
-different images mixed together into one

sketches
-literal sketchbook sketches

ascii
-ascii art

Just some food for thought.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 12:56:10 PM by Captain_404 » Logged
Cighton
« Reply #953 on: April 15, 2010, 03:53:04 PM »

Boredom.
johnnoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #954 on: April 17, 2010, 06:31:12 PM »

whoooaaaa, have not posted on TIGsource for a while and what do you know, one of the few threads I created was stickied  0-0

So much awesome stuff in here, i'm never gonna be able to get through it all.
iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 18, 2010, 01:20:39 AM »

This is awesome, I want to get my penis and slap the image repeatedly with it.

ChevyRay
« Reply #956 on: April 18, 2010, 01:24:36 AM »

What an absolutely delightful thing that'd be to do to someone's work of art.
Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: April 18, 2010, 01:14:35 PM »

Gentlemen. Are you ready? For the next generation of crossover games?

Neo Geo Pocket Color up in this bitch!

I hate the title screen.

Battle mockup coming later.
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 18, 2010, 04:34:44 PM »

You such an indie cock tease. I hate and love it.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #959 on: April 18, 2010, 07:10:20 PM »

SHMUP game or something...

Looking forward to the new age of crossover! Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 466
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic