Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1055474 Posts in 42859 Topics- by 34790 Members - Latest Member: Pak

October 21, 2014, 05:35:15 AM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeArtMockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 427
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 1179929 times)
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3120 on: June 26, 2011, 06:12:54 AM »

style mix
This looks super awesome. Such a cool blend of styles.

vittorioromeo
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3121 on: June 26, 2011, 06:56:45 AM »

Second mockup ever. Would you play a game that looks like this?

saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3122 on: June 26, 2011, 07:06:21 AM »

Let's see where a bit of fusion takes us!

For some reason I feel like the flower is making this face:

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: June 26, 2011, 07:40:39 AM »

Yeah, it looks really great. Especially if the noise in the background is constantly changing... I wanna steal this style :D
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: June 26, 2011, 07:56:46 AM »

Hi Mr. mighty moderator man, Wink

I tried a semi-kinda-mockup with a more hand-painted style of character, but it just looked extremely boring, and worse, the contrast between heavy linework on the map and light lines on the characters made the whole thing look really terrible.

Please enjoy this shittily compressed exported gif:

http://www.electric-zombie.com/stuff/stater.gif

(And never mind the units from the original "North and South" standing by, they're just visiting.)
Smiley I quite like it, but you're right it may be a bit boring. For my liking the pixels are little too big in the mixed style version. IMO this might work for pixel art fans, but not for average gamers, the pixel size in islorrrmock2.png harmonizes better.
Relix
Level 4

View Profile Email
« Reply #3125 on: June 26, 2011, 08:00:03 AM »

Congrats relix! You have improooooooved a ton since I first saw your work. Great job!!!

Um, are you complimenting me based on Shawny's work? Because that's what you quoted.

Pineapple
Level 10

Love, love is a verb Love is a doing word ~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3126 on: June 26, 2011, 11:20:42 AM »

absolutely

JoGribbs
« Reply #3127 on: June 26, 2011, 11:44:03 AM »

Looks like a minor British celebrity:
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

xionight@live.com Chimera+Gryphon
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3128 on: June 26, 2011, 11:47:55 AM »

this is so rad

JoGribbs
« Reply #3129 on: June 26, 2011, 02:17:44 PM »

I am getting a very Portal vibe from this. Looks awesome - very clean and readable.

Also, some stuff:

Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: June 26, 2011, 02:37:04 PM »

absolutely

Agreed. If anything, it reminds me of Krebswelte. Tongue
vittorioromeo
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3131 on: June 26, 2011, 03:55:04 PM »

Embarrassed

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3132 on: June 26, 2011, 10:59:21 PM »

artifaaaaacks

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3133 on: June 26, 2011, 11:08:17 PM »

No, pleasantly eye-tickling noise filter. Smiley

I would play it if the black/white scheme had any influence on the mechanics! (E.g. you can manipulate only white objects, and need to find ways to color the object of your desire white.)

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: June 27, 2011, 02:17:29 AM »

It does look like there's .jpg artifacts, though. Look near the curves, the noise is concentrated there and the black color seems to "bleed" a bit. It doesn't look as crisp as in your previous mockup, more like a clip of a Youtube video.

I bet that website you used to make this converted your frames to lo-fi .jpg to save bandwidth. Sometimes you just have to do everything by yourself.
antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile Email
« Reply #3135 on: June 27, 2011, 03:53:39 AM »

fail

Congrats relix! You have improooooooved a ton since I first saw your work. Great job!!!

Um, are you complimenting me based on Shawny's work? Because that's what you quoted.
Wow, My mistake. I must have copied the wrong picture url. Terribly sorry. Didnt preview. I wanted to put in YOUR piece. Sorry.

Rykuth
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #3136 on: June 28, 2011, 05:36:04 PM »

I doubt anyone remembers, but a while ago I posted a mock-up of a game I've been working on for a while. At the time I had a 32x32 main character and a moderately detailed style, but that ended up being too complicated for what I had in mind for the game (over 50 different enemy types and an equally large set of moves for the player). After giving up on the game for a while I decided to go back to it and simplify everything.

The game is a metroidvania where the player unlocks different moves by killing a certain number of one enemy type. Each enemy has an associated move, and as I said there's around 50 enemy types. The world is fairly large to accommodate all the different enemies. The main weapon is a mouse-aimed gun which can be upgraded.

This is what I've got for a main character now. The images on top are a walk/run/sprint cycle, and the bottom image has examples of what the main character will look like with different powers. If anyone's interested I can go into what each power does.

As far as the style goes I took some inspiration from jwaap and serene.

One thing I'm unsure about is how I'm going to handle the terrain since it's not tile-based in the mockup I have there. The game world is approximately 16,000 x 11,000 pixels so hand-drawing the terrain for all that would be a bit overwhelming, but I really like the look of the mockup. If anyone knows how to get that hand-drawn look while still using tiles I'd love to hear it.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3137 on: June 28, 2011, 06:00:16 PM »

you could try organic 'tiles' that aren't grid-aligned, like aquaria?

Relix
Level 4

View Profile Email
« Reply #3138 on: June 29, 2011, 07:41:02 AM »

Really liking that Rykuth!

---

I hope it's just me, but she looks kinda...psycho. I know it looked a lot better in paper...but I don't have a scanner ;__;

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: June 29, 2011, 08:10:46 AM »

Have you considered scaling up the sprite to something like 8x or 16x, and then drawing over it? That way the portrait will more accurately reflect the sprite itself.

Obviously if you want the portrait to be in a different pose, then this wouldn't work.  Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 427
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic