Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:39:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Milestone 2
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Milestone 2  (Read 137482 times)
Zaphos
« Reply #180 on: March 18, 2007, 08:11:58 PM »

Attached a go at a breast stroke -- still bastardizing Xion's animation to make it.

And hey, what is happening with music?  Are we going to use PxTone or something like that?
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: March 18, 2007, 08:34:05 PM »

Hey, I just got back and I wanted to say you guys ROCK.  The animations look sweet, as always.  Grin

@Zaphos:  Well, we used modules in the first public build, but now there's talk of .ogg's.  PxTone is Windows-only AFAIK.  Cry

Oh, hey, can you point me to an example of the procedural water surface effect please?  Or any other resources?  I wanna look in to that.  Wink

Alright, Brandon Michael McCartin has got to get to recoverin' from the weekend.  Wink  Night, guys!

The Doctor
Maestro
Level 0

aka: AtrusRand, Yaegashi...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: March 18, 2007, 10:26:31 PM »

Well, PxTone can output to .wav format. I know I could convert them into .ogg format, if you're still looking for a music person. Format wouldn't really be an issue. That is, if you're still looking around for a music guy.  Wink

Zaphos
« Reply #183 on: March 18, 2007, 11:53:48 PM »

Oh, hey, can you point me to an example of the procedural water surface effect please?  Or any other resources?  I wanna look in to that.  ;)
I don't actually have any examples, but here are two possible ways to try:
1) have a repeating pattern (eg sine wave) with a constantly-moving origin and then some simple water-particle burst when a character lands in the water (or jumps out of the water).
2) If water is your water height array, and dwater is the per-frame delta of that array, set something like "dwater[ x ] -= (water[ x ] - (water[x-1] + water[x+1] + DESIRED_LEVEL)/3.0) * tweak_constant" for all x except the very edges, then set "water[ x ] += dwater[ x ]" for all x, and perhaps apply some damping ala "dwater[ x ] *= .99" for all x, and "if (fabs(dwater[ x ]) < .3) { if (fabs(water[ x ]-DESIRED_LEVEL) < 1) { dwater[ x ] = 0; water[ x ] = DESIRED_LEVEL; } }" for all x.  Then for splashes, just kick the water down or up by changing dwater[ ] around the splash point.

Either way, you can probably store the water as a height field (er, array?) and just render it underneath the rest of the scene.
Honestly, not sure either way is actually better than just having hand-made animations.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 12:02:54 AM by Zaphos » Logged
Zaphos
« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2007, 12:14:21 AM »

Actually, I hacked up a quick demo of the second technique -- here it is (with source) so you can sort of get a better idea of the nature of the effect.  Of course, there's plenty of room for tweaking.
Water demo here ...
lexaloffle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: March 19, 2007, 08:03:08 AM »

Here's another water test I did for a platform game I'm working on if you're interested. It's pretty similar to Zaphos'.

http://www.lexaloffle.com/joseph/dl/water_test.zip  (347k)

I included the source file which has some notes, but you won't be able to compile it. Also I had to include SDL_mixer.dll, so I chucked in the music for exceed's 'Heaven 7' to make the extra file size worth it!

Here is the code I adapted which also has a nice explanation and yet another demo (but with a 2d heightfield).

Little pools of physicsy water could be fun. I can imagine it competing with the style of Balding though, and the waves would only be about 3 pixels high.

███ Joseph White
███ Lexaloffle Games
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: March 19, 2007, 08:09:30 AM »

Going slightly off-topic, the best water effect ever (IMHO) in a 2D game is in Waterworks on the SAM Coupé. It looks kinda' lousy, but despite being an 8-bit game is simulates water pressure really cleverly and allows for some really cool puzzles.

http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/articles/samwaterworks.htm

It's one of those games, along with The Deactivators, that I'm amazed no-one has remade or ripped-off yet.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: March 19, 2007, 12:08:38 PM »

Going slightly off-topic, the best water effect ever (IMHO) in a 2D game is in Waterworks on the SAM Coupé. It looks kinda' lousy, but despite being an 8-bit game is simulates water pressure really cleverly and allows for some really cool puzzles.

http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/articles/samwaterworks.htm

It's one of those games, along with The Deactivators, that I'm amazed no-one has remade or ripped-off yet.

Heh, a look at that screenshot reminds me of a game my dad once wrote (!!) for his Atari 800XL, called Pipe Line. After reading a little, they're totally different games, but for a second there that brought back some memories of long ago  Cry (Take a look here for a screenie or two)

Please now continue with the topic. Apologies from a guy who just felt very old.

olücæbelel
Zaphos
« Reply #188 on: March 19, 2007, 03:48:14 PM »

Here's a new version of my water demo, now with standing waves [super-delayed edit: by standing waves I mean moving waves ...] and a little bit of guy-physics.  Like in the last one (and I forgot to mention), press Space to make the guy fall into the water, and press the arrow keys to move him left and right.  (The guy is the white circle ...)
New demo here.

One annoying issue with this water is that for the waves to work, I made the water physics cyclical (otherwise there are lots of weird edge details to consider) ... I think that's sort of not noticeable unless you put the guy right at the edge of the screen, so if we just have some extra (not seen) water on the edges, it might be fine.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 07:34:02 PM by Zaphos » Logged
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: March 20, 2007, 12:00:55 PM »

We might need to get another pixel artist to fill in for Arne while he's out (still working on his game cover, I assume).  Anyone interested in crafting levels?  Xion?  I may take a stab at it myself.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: March 20, 2007, 12:33:55 PM »

Yeah, that's a good idea.  I was just about to suggest something similar myself based on my revised plan, which is this:

I'm going to make a single new test stage that will include every Milestone Two goal.  Then, when the code's runnin' just right and Arne's got more time on his hands, we'll create the actual Public Build Two levels using the new elements now in place.

I was just gonna pixelate something generic myself, but it would be real cool if someone with skills could handle it instead.  Wink  It doesn't have to (and probably shouldn't) be in an existing level style.

What do you guys think about a dungeon/torture chamber theme?

EDIT:  Oh, and thank you, Lex and Zaphos!  I see what you mean, now.  Smiley  I'm all for mixing modern technology (see the physics, particle systems, enemies, etc.) with this retro game.  I'll definitely play around with this and see if it "fits."  Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 01:46:35 PM by BMcC » Logged

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 20, 2007, 02:59:35 PM »

Well, I'd be interested in designing a few levels, but my drawing skills are quite... reasonably... awful. If you think it'd help and could give me some basic guidelines, I could try to do something like Arne's level sketch (the one with the colors and blah blah).
Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: March 20, 2007, 06:32:34 PM »

If you can make a thoughtful level with coloured blocks, it would be much better than a pixeltastic masterpiece with the challenge of crushing a paper cup.

I've thought of a few, but just not put my ideas onto paper yet.
Am I right in thinking we have 32x24 grid squares?
If you leave out wall/floor blocks will the level wrap around? (like Bubble Bobble/other game I can't think of with wrapping)

I'm probably going to draw mine out on grid paper, old skool style.

Last release: sync::routine
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: March 20, 2007, 06:41:29 PM »

Anyone interested in crafting levels?
Sure, I could give it a shot! Grin

Attached a go at a breast stroke -- still bastardizing Xion's animation to make it.
Dude, that pwns!

Yeah, that's a good idea.  I was just about to suggest something similar myself based on my revised plan, which is this:

etc. etc.

What do you guys think about a dungeon/torture chamber theme?
Sounds awesome. Have like, guillotines and stuff all around, and maybe a juggernaut of an executioner wandering around with a bigass axe and black hood.

Woo, new post.

If you can make a thoughtful level with coloured blocks, it would be much better than a pixeltastic masterpiece with the challenge of crushing a paper cup.
Well yeah, but prettiness is always cool, too. I thought it'd be good to lay out all the levels with color blocks like in Arne's original doc thingy before actually pixelling the stuff.

(like Bubble Bobble/other game I can't think of with wrapping)
Pac-Man, Asteroids, etc.
I was curious about this too.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: March 20, 2007, 07:04:48 PM »

Ah... a Dark Castle themed level would be awesome. That game put a lot of interesting stuff on single screens.

(for the record, I played Beyond Dark Castle on the Amiga)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 07:08:26 PM by Alec » Logged

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 25, 2007, 07:48:27 AM »

Hm, the level design thread made me wonder if the level editor will come with the game or be publicly available. If so, what about allowing the user to create levels or level sets (.bql and .bqs files or whatever) and load them in the game, to be played separately from the main adventure? That'd add a lot to the replayability. Smiley
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: March 29, 2007, 07:16:57 PM »

I think that's the plan, yeah.  Wink

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: April 05, 2007, 10:17:55 PM »

Alright, guys!  Haven't had much time recently, but I managed to put together a mock-up for a Dungeon level.  It actually went much faster than I thought it would!  (Super fun to work with Arne's style, btw.)  The reason I'm posting this here and not in the Level Design thread is because I think this is the level (one of the levels?) that we're going to be using for Milestone 2.

I think it's fairly explanatory! Wink

And here's the evolution of the dungeon as a gif:

And I'm going to leave it up to you guys to draw the Executioner and animate him.  He should be 2x2 tiles large (16 x 16 pix), fairly large and slow-looking, and he needs an attack that is dodgeable (either by ducking, or jumping).  Maybe an axe?

A whipping animation for GB is needed (could actually be a general "throwing" animation that we can using for other things), as well as a death on spikes animation.

Anyone up for the task? Grin
Zaphos
« Reply #198 on: April 05, 2007, 11:27:31 PM »

Ooo, pretty dungeon.  One crit on it though -- the wall 'texture' seems a bit off.  You're using much smaller bricks than what was in the sewer level, but they're grey ... implying they're stones?  Dungeon stones wouldn't really be so small or so regular, I think.  And they might be quite a bit more grungy.  As it is, the size and regularity and relative cleanliness of them makes them stand out as repetitive textures.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: April 06, 2007, 11:41:12 AM »

?
Nice dungeon. Same crit as Zaphos.
Those waves in the lava would look cool if they were like oozing down.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic