Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 01:49:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsGAMMA (Moderator: fish)1A90
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 1A90  (Read 20551 times)
besttof
Level 0

besttof

View Profile WWW
« on: November 14, 2007, 04:12:50 PM »

update: When I found out my game was mentioned I discovered some very stupid bugs which I fixed (specially for you). The main thing was that I never actually tested the game with an actual xbox360 controller Embarrassed (see, I told you, very stupid)) Now that I did, i discovered that the texts as well as the keymappings were (horribly) wrong! So I fixed those.

And you can grab it here: http://besttof.com/gamma256/1a90.zip

Enjoy.

update2: Oh, and I made a mac os x build (Intel), because I could Smiley Grab it here: http://besttof.com/gamma256/1a90_osx.zip

Right,

This was supposed to be my entry for the gamma256 party, but because I couldn't finish in time ( i submitted a crappier version ) I thought I'd post the finished(ish) version here.

The game is a non-scrolling, side-scolling shmup where the background and explosions behave as a cellular automaton/game of life/reactive grid. When you hit an enemy, die or a bullet times out, each pixel of the bullet, ship and/or player will be put into the background. Every pixel in the background will cause a reaction, the shape and size of the reaction depends on the original shapes, current state of the background and the ruleset for the current level.

The players can design their own bullets, and preview their basic reactions, and experiment away. Which was sort-of my goal for the game: experimentation. I'm not overly excited about the final, actual gameplay Lips Sealed but i like the looks.

You ought to play it with a gamepad ( figure out the buttons yourself if you don't have a 360 controller ) but the game offers one fallback keyboard control: arrows = thumbstick, left alt = a, space = x and enter = start.

Enjoy Smiley ( hopefully )
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 09:39:34 AM by besttof » Logged
fish
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 07:18:10 AM »

the download wont work for some reason.
too bad its late because this looks realllly nice!
i just love that glowy pixel look.

we'll post ALL the games on the website after the events, with download info and...game info. and all that. would you be up for that?

besttof
Level 0

besttof

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 07:30:10 AM »

the download wont work for some reason.
too bad its late because this looks realllly nice!
i just love that glowy pixel look.
thanks! but could you elaborate a bit on what's not working? i tested it on several PCs without any noticeable problems. does the game switch to fullscreen? does it start but doesn't pick up the controller? and what are the pc's specs/hardware etc?

we'll post ALL the games on the website after the events, with download info and...game info. and all that. would you be up for that?
sure, in fact, i'd be honoured Smiley
fish
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 07:36:15 AM »

i mean, it just wont download at all.
the litlle save to disk/open with dialog box pops up, but the "ok" button never un-greys. maybe its on my end. im at work. who knows.

besttof
Level 0

besttof

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 08:02:34 AM »

i mean, it just wont download at all.
the litlle save to disk/open with dialog box pops up, but the "ok" button never un-greys. maybe its on my end. im at work. who knows.

oops, i missed the "download" part Embarrassed anyhoo, weird, i just downloaded it without any problems. are there more people with downloading problems?
Paul-Jan
Level 0

Always be creating.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 08:30:39 AM »

Download works fine here.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 12:07:34 PM »

Works fine here too.
I rapidshared it for you just incase, though Smiley.
http://rapidshare.com/files/71094671/1a90.zip.html

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 12:26:36 PM »

Oh snap. This is excellent!
Though, I seem to have a habit of making bullets that turn the enemies into bullets... moving back at me. Is it just that one level or am I a architect of failure?

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
besttof
Level 0

besttof

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 01:36:58 PM »

Oh snap. This is excellent!
Though, I seem to have a habit of making bullets that turn the enemies into bullets... moving back at me. Is it just that one level or am I a architect of failure?

well, as long as they're pretty bullets... Smiley but, yeah, it's very likely that the system reacts that way.

technically, when you're asked to create a new bullet you move to the new 'level' which differs in the way the grid reacts and the types of enemies and amount you have to (indirectly) kill to move to the next level. the 'code' displayed after bullet creation is actually the name of the level and the encoding for the grid behavior in one ( e.g. note the relation between the number before the x and the size/trails of the explosions ).

loads and loads of room for improvement there, but it's time to move on Wink

ps. thanks for adding the rapidshare download!
besttof
Level 0

besttof

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 12:31:45 PM »

ladies,

to celebrate the new year, i added some effects and explosions to 1a90 ( i also fixed some bugs and removed some limitations, but that's besides the point ). i also tweaked the difficulty level and the level "interestingness", so it should be a more enjoyable experience Tongue

grab the builds here:
1a90 windows
1a90 os x ( intel only, sorry )
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic