Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:09:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoAction Sight Reading Tutor [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Action Sight Reading Tutor [FINISHED]  (Read 11535 times)
topsy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2009, 10:22:09 AM »

Hello, all.  Getting a late start here, but I just realized that my initial idea is not beyond my means to create it, so here I go:

This will be a sight-reading game.  Musical notes will scroll across a staff.  The player will have to press the correct key for a note before it reaches the edge of the screen.  Pretty basic, but I'll throw in a little awesome to make it more fun.  The awesome will include:

• an animated figure leaping from note to note.
  • something foul to devour the animated figure if the player fails.
  • various configuration options (clef, range of notes, input mode).
  • combos, bonus goodies, and as much candy as I can manage before the deadline.

This will be made in Flash.

Behold the glory:

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 09:59:27 PM by topsy » Logged
topsy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 09:58:03 PM »

As finished as it's gonna be (life...).  Needs more action, and sound.  Oh, and there's no preloader, so if you're playing it straight off the web, you'll have to wait about 200k.

Download (Flash/exe):

http://www.fearthesheep.com/host/ASRT/main.exe

Play (Flash/browser):

http://www.fearthesheep.com/host/ASRT/

increpare
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 06:06:07 AM »

good fun Smiley a time-attack mode at a set difficulty-levels (with fixed clef/bpm/time-limit) might be good for comparison purposes.

also increasing tempo over time; going on forever isn't as much fun...

also: current tempo cap is toooo low TOOOOO LOW*...you should at least consider doubling it....

also: doing a solfa version might be great as well, with custom key-signature...would be more language-specific, but for me more challenging

oh, you should probably allow H for B, to be nice to german-speakers.

also: tenor clefs?  maybe some nice confusing baroque-style moving of the other clefs as well Smiley

(*though, will admit, not at all comfortable with alto clef ;p )
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 06:11:29 AM by increpare » Logged
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 06:25:55 AM »

This is a very interesting game.  Obviously, this game will only appeal to musicians, but since I am one, I have no problem with that!  Smiley  (Although, as I am not a viola player, I could not play in alto-clef mode).

The game made me think in a way that rarely arises when I play music (or play games).  Normally, (and I think this is true for a lot of people), when I see a note on the staff, I think of it as a key on the piano, or a fingering on the clarinet.  To translate this note into the pressing of a key on the computer keyboard requires a completely different thought process that, in general, slowed me up (which is interesting, because I am a relatively good typist).  The difficulty imposed by this different thought process is a good type of difficulty; I enjoy games that make me think in new ways.

I agree with increpare; gradually increasing tempo would probably be a good idea.  And sound is a must - I wouldn't put in background music (that would probably mess people up), but just play the notes that the player has jumped on.  Maybe you could even let the player choose what instrument to play the notes on.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 08:05:21 AM by Theta » Logged

topsy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 09:14:26 AM »

All fabulous suggestions.  I had grander plans for ramping difficulty, different game modes, special repeating patterns of faster notes (arpeggio!), different input modes (click on a keyboard, type the note letter, map the keyboard to a keyboard QWERTY->CDEFGA, etc.), accidentals, key-signatures, and more fun animations and bonuses and sound and other things like that.  Ultimately, I simply did not have time to get more than the basic engine functioning.

The max tempo is actually because of the jumping animations.  If you go above 100 bpm, then the character will fall behind and eventually slide off the left of the screen, never to be seen again until he falls off.

I'm not familiar with the term 'solfa', but codewise the clefs are nice and generic, so adding others or even letting the user set a custom clef would not be difficult to implement.  My knowledge of music and music theory is fairly limited which is why you only get these three to choose from.

increpare
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 11:41:54 AM »

I'm not familiar with the term 'solfa', but codewise the clefs are nice and generic
Ah i meant solfege, of course Smiley
Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

When life gives you lemons, make an internet craze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 01:59:00 PM »

Great work!  Now I have to actually use my brain and pull up my choir memories about the Treble Cleft order  Facepalm

I remember that Bass is Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge for the lines, at least!  Well, hello there!

"Sweet Sacajewea, Batmanifestdestiny!  We've struck GOLD!" -Joseph, Utah Wonder

You have to plagierize the Italian.
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 02:02:38 PM »

It would have been a lot better if you did a keyboard layout like a piano rather than typing the note letter. When i play the piano I'm generally not worried about the letter name of a note, more of its position on the piano
Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

When life gives you lemons, make an internet craze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 08:38:45 PM »

It would have been a lot better if you did a keyboard layout like a piano rather than typing the note letter. When i play the piano I'm generally not worried about the letter name of a note, more of its position on the piano
can you hit piano keys on a trumpet or on your vocal chords? Tongue

"Sweet Sacajewea, Batmanifestdestiny!  We've struck GOLD!" -Joseph, Utah Wonder

You have to plagierize the Italian.
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 08:49:15 PM »

can you hit piano keys on a trumpet or on your vocal chords? Tongue

I play the tuba too, I'm more worried about playing the right note than actually knowing the name of the note I'm playing.

Also you could do a wind instrument version. I did this a couple years ago
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/294586
Adam94
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 03:17:31 PM »

I'm not too good at reading music. Being a guitarist I'm more familiar with tab and it often takes me a while to work out what the notes are. This should help. Might even show it to my music teacher :p

I think if you included some sound it would help me get more familiar with what notes sound like too!

Anyway, this rocks!
erdtirdmans
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 12:35:17 AM »

I'm not a musician but still had a bit of fun.  Definitely needs sound, and perhaps after a few sections, it should play the song up to that point as a reward for getting this far.  As of right now, it's more like a really fun test than anything for me.

Still, great prototype, and definitely educational.  After a couple minutes, I was beginning to recognize notes with no musical training.

Other thoughts: On-screen ABCDEFG buttons that can be used as well and light up when keys are pressed.  As it stands, some people will be looking up at the screen, then down at their keys, then up at the screen, and down at the keys... ad nauseum.  Also, if you plop the keys on the screen, the controls are obvious to even the least initiated passerby.  Lastly, more visual feedback is always good.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic