Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:49:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWIP LoZ fangame
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: WIP LoZ fangame  (Read 103177 times)
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: July 16, 2009, 04:37:00 AM »

Result of playing around with Standard Waiver's engine. In this demo you can wander around half the first dungeons and stab things. Some effects aren't implemented yet. Eventually I wanna remake the overworld and at least another dungeon or two if not the whole game.

Currently on hold while I wait/hope for a new Construct build that I can port it to (0.993 fixes the alpha bug you see on the statues but breaks everything else), but I'd like any feedback I can get at this stage.

Download (800kb): (sharebee)

Edit: removed the googlepages download, because a couple of blogs decided to stupidly direct-link it.

Hi! If you've come here from a news blog or something and you're not a Tigsource member, you can email any feedback to phenex{at}gmail{.}com.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 10:31:04 PM by Radix » Logged
JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 04:41:18 AM »

Neat!
im9today
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 04:47:32 AM »

I love the way this looks, but killing rooms full of enemies seems way more tedious on here than it ever did in the NES games, almost like I have the reach of Simon Birch
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 04:57:03 AM »

Yeah, I was thinking of messing with that. The current rate of movement and sword length is about the same as in the original, maybe even a little better, but it's hard to tell how far you are from enemies.

Once there's arrows and boomerangs and stuff I'll tweak it if it still feels necessary.

By the way, I'm gonna base the bombs on BS Zelda so they'll be more like grenades.
alspal
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 05:58:26 AM »

Fairly nice engine and stuff, seems to have improved a lot.
It took me a while to figure out that I was holding a shield, its not so evident when it has a massive pixel blocks while your sword is lined with nice small crisp pixels.
I think I'd enjoy it if the character's speed was slightly increased, seems a bit sluggish at the moment.
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:06:09 AM »

Awesome!
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 12:05:18 PM »

Seems nice. I would like the speed increased just a bit as well.

Also it was kind of hard figuring out which door i came from after spinning so much while attacking enemies.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 01:05:13 PM »

Yeah, a compass or something on a mini-map would be pretty handy.

This is looking pretty tasty.  Yay Zelda!

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 05:53:33 PM »

It took me a while to figure out that I was holding a shield, its not so evident when it has a massive pixel blocks while your sword is lined with nice small crisp pixels.
Good point. I think what I was going for with the sword was a pixelly thing held at and angle, so the sides can be crisp diagonals due to foregrounding, but the pointy tip doesn't make any sense!

I'll fix that, don't know if it'll make the shield any more obvious, but I'm trying to be fairly authentic with representing everything I can from the original game the same way, but in 3D.
(I'll make the map/compass items a priority when I start up again.)
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 08:04:42 AM »

Nice Cool.  Looking really slick.

Fighting is a bit harder in this than in the regular LoZ, I agree that lengthening the sword's reach would probably be a good idea.  In fact, I'd say you're going to have to change quite a bit in the game in order to make a 3D version playable... I can't imagine how hard it would be to kill Darknuts this way.  I mean, it's already hard enough top-down.  Perhaps it would be best to go with the spirit of Zelda rather than the rule of Zelda.

Currently on hold while I wait/hope for a new Construct build that I can port it to (0.993 fixes the alpha bug you see on the statues but breaks everything else)

The changes from 0.98.9 to 0.99.3 were pretty major, and it's not likely that they're going to change back.  Depending on what's breaking, your game as it is just might not be compatible with any future versions (hooray for beta Tongue).  You'll likely have to bite the bullet and figure out which part of your engine needs to be rewritten, or which object settings need to be updated.  Which would be totally worth it, because this project is cool as hell Hand Thumbs Up LeftGrin

tweet tweet @j_younger
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 08:18:55 AM »

If I have to I will, but as far as I can tell the only problem with 993 is that adjusting pitch/yaw of 3Dboxes is unsupported. The only other relevant change was the default height, but that was easily fixed.

I have a feeling that being able to mouse aim with projectile weapons will make the sword a lot less important. There's actually a slightly newer version that has a few items partly implemented and more of the dungeon, but I think I accidentally saved it in 993. Oops.

Thanks for the feedback so far, I'm sure this'll all be useful stuff.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 09:43:22 AM »

If I have to I will, but as far as I can tell the only problem with 993 is that adjusting pitch/yaw of 3Dboxes is unsupported.

Ah, gotcha.  If that's the issue then yeah, it should be fine in a future build.  I wasn't aware of that problem, though.  Has a bug been posted to the tracker on that?

tweet tweet @j_younger
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 08:50:53 PM »

Tigs mentioned it in his post for one of the intermediate releases (probably 0.99.1, I don't feel like checking). You sort of have to read all three posts to get the real changelist for 0.99.3.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 09:11:48 PM »

Really clever, I must say.

EDIT: We got linked from GoNintendo!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 12:00:39 PM by Inanimate » Logged
paperwasp
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 02:30:55 PM »

maybe you should consider an optional 3rd person mode with the camera behind link.  I don't know how feasible it would be though.
dessgeega
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 04:45:09 PM »

how is it to do 3D in construct? i've always wanted to do a super blocky raytraced game.

you're probably already aware of this, but transparent parts of sprites make sprites behind them transparent too.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 10:07:13 PM »

Yeah, that's the reason I'm waiting for a Construct update. The current build fixes that, but breaks one other thing I need.

3D in Construct involves wrangling a bunch of 3D boxes, which aren't really meant for this sort of thing. But once you have an engine (here's a gutted improvement of the Standard Waiver engine, for your Constructing pleasure), it's as easy as pasting tiles in an editor:

In reality the player is running around that map, but each tile is paired with a 3D box and that's what actually gets displayed.

(Kids, note: 2D view only looks like the 3D view to make it easy for me to reproduce the map. In SW the 2D tiles are just different coloured squares.)

maybe you should consider an optional 3rd person mode with the camera behind link.  I don't know how feasible it would be though.
Easy enough, I'll consider it. Might help some people with estimating range, but it might also screw up the aesthetic.

Edit:
Forgot to mention that it is possible to do multilevel rooms and jumping and vertical aiming and stuff, but I haven't made a proper example of that yet.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 10:14:05 PM by Radix » Logged
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 02:46:38 AM »

Coolest ever, Radix! Hand Metal Left Hand Any Key

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 12:27:04 PM »

Awesome.  Get on that multi-layered jumping stuff, MAN.

Really clever, I must say.

This needs to turn into a WiiWare project, Nintendo!

I love how video game blogs think that it's just a wave of a magic wand to take some project and put it on a console.

They never learn. Don't reveal a copyright infringing project until it's complete or else you're going to get a C&D.

And I also love how video game blog commenters think that every fan game ever will be shut down by Nintendo.  (Square Enix's recent antics haven't helped, though.)
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 04:10:54 PM »

Also Destructoid.
I don't know if it matters or anything but people usually act excited when that happens.

!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic