Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 09:19:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWIP LoZ fangame
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: WIP LoZ fangame  (Read 103167 times)
Galaxy613
Level 1

10,000 Lightyears of Awesome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 08:20:43 AM »

You should add small shadow circles underneath the enemies, that would help ALOT with figuring out how far way they are.

[ Quest! ] A new year, with new possibilities. [ Follow me on Twitter! ]
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 12:16:21 PM »

The hell.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8999094&publicUserId=5379721

You've already generated hype.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 09:55:50 PM »

There's a Gametrailers video too with way too many comments. This is worse than last time one of my projects got coverage.

I guess I'll have to finish it.

You should add small shadow circles underneath the enemies, that would help ALOT with figuring out how far way they are.
I'll think about it, but I want to use original assets wherever possible, as though the game just suddenly became first-person. (This is part of my reluctance to add a third-person mode, because it would require my own Link sprite. The only thing I really want to change is items, out of necessity, and I removed the vent things next to the doors because I couldn't figure out what the fuck they were.)

Once there are some more enemies I'll make a decision on the shadow thing. If it's just keese, well, keese are arseholes anyway.

___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 11:24:20 PM »

There's a Gametrailers video too with way too many comments. This is worse than last time one of my projects got coverage.

I guess I'll have to finish it.

Um!  Holy fucking shit!  28 pages of comments?!   How the fuck!  Does Game Trailers get like 11 million hits a damn day?  Jesus...

Yeah finish it.  Or something close.
E rac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 12:06:35 AM »

Kotaku has also posted about it. Gentleman
http://kotaku.com/5320756/if-zelda-was-first+person-and-in-3d
Also, It is great so far. The only problem I had was not being able to tell how close the enemy's are.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 12:24:47 AM »

What I am about to say is not against radix and his awesome project but is more a commentary about the state of videogame culture nowadays:
This nostalgia shit gets way too much attention. I'm kind of bored of half the videogame news these days being about a mario or a zelda or a metroid or any rehashing of an old boring NES license. Fuckt he NES generation.
There are tons of great projects being thrown out around these forums and the only thing that manages to create a huge (well deserved) hype is this , chosen just because it resonates with some kind of manchild nostalgia .

Keep it up radix, your project is awesome.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 12:33:27 AM »

Kotaku has also posted about it. Gentleman
http://kotaku.com/5320756/if-zelda-was-first+person-and-in-3d
Also, It is great so far. The only problem I had was not being able to tell how close the enemy's are.

Haha!  It's on a roll and it can't be stopped, no.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 01:54:00 AM »

Totally. This started with some textures I added to a source I uploaded to the Scirra forums as a cute surprise for anyone who downloaded it. The only reason this project exists was because my inner and outer manchilds agreed it would be cool to make it a full game.
That nostalgia response is a big reason I go back and play the original old games; it might be an undeserved attraction, but it's an undeniably powerful one.
stranno
Level 0

Blood Bros fan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 02:50:31 AM »

Cool proyect man, i'm waiting for more stuff

This is a raycaster engine, isnt it?

I've made my own video, enjoy ;-)

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2009, 08:41:28 AM »

Cool, but Youtube is blocked in this country and streaming video doesn't work too well over TOR.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2009, 09:14:21 AM »

Hahahha some of those gametrailers comments are pure gold (Or horrible, depending how you look at it)

I wish you would have done an fps version of Ocarina of Time, rather than making a low-quality 3d game. Try something that looks good as well as is playable.

cool concept, but you really should not use sprites, and instead of using polygons, use voxels. that would be awesome.

fn awesome....all we need is music and twilight princes graphics!!!!!!! but great job

how can you play this thing,sorry but even for retro its crap....

also why tf are you proposing every game to be made in freaking fps.zelda is fine as it is.what is next final fantasy fps?

Hahhaha I'll stop here.
Also I mostly agree with moi. It's indeed pretty sad that there are lots of games deserving some attention and don't get it, but a well-known franchise and some nostalgia is something really powerful.

Also this is really fun, Radix. Hahah didn't think hitting enemies with the projectiles could be any harder than in the original game!
stranno
Level 0

Blood Bros fan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2009, 09:27:57 AM »

Ummm Voxel was a great idea implemented on the evolution of BUILD engine (DN3D), in games like Shadow Warrior or Blood ... but this game doesnt need them coz boxes are already 3D arent they? those boxes are not heights like an standar raycaster i guess

haroldoop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2009, 03:25:36 PM »

Hahahah, very cool idea! I can't wait to see how the overworld will play like.
TOOGAM
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2009, 07:15:35 AM »

Nice going.
I hope you weren't planning on manually making the other levels by dragging tiles into an editor or anything like that.  The format of the levels within the cartridge has been documented ( http://tril.tunes.org/work.html ), so that process could be automated.  (That'd be even better because it would allow any custom levels to be easily imported into the engine you're using.)
Can this thing hold loading all the levels at once?  I didn't realize how all of the levels fit together so perfectly within a grid until I saw a multi-level map showing the shapes fixed within a rectangle.  It's kind of neat to be able to make one small modification: adding a single door to one part of the level, and have the result of being inside another one of the levels.  But I realize that if Standard Waiver provides some sort of (memory or other) limits, you may not be able to load 4-5 levels all at once.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2009, 03:20:32 AM »

What I am about to say is not against radix and his awesome project but is more a commentary about the state of videogame culture nowadays:
This nostalgia shit gets way too much attention. I'm kind of bored of half the videogame news these days being about a mario or a zelda or a metroid or any rehashing of an old boring NES license. Fuckt he NES generation.
There are tons of great projects being thrown out around these forums and the only thing that manages to create a huge (well deserved) hype is this , chosen just because it resonates with some kind of manchild nostalgia .

Keep it up radix, your project is awesome.

agreed, original ideas doens't get covered at all, but if you made a wacky thing using a nes game.. bang!
Nothing verus the project, it looks ace, but it's a sad thing that if it was a random 8bittish dungeon with original monsters it wouldn't take all that coverage at all

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2009, 10:26:10 AM »

Yeah but my comment came out a bit harsh though... Concerned

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2009, 05:46:31 AM »

Yeah, but you're right. The reason people are interested in this is exactly the reason I'm interested in making it. The artisticle value of playing a classic from a different perspective is a pretty distant second.

Eclipse: I dunno, 8bit Killer got pretty good coverage. But again, I think it's a nostalgia thing even if it doesn't adapt a specific game.

Yeah I considered that, but your concern is misplaced: the game isn't really that big. Plus if I did want to automate it there'd be easier ways. But I am considering making an editor since adding puzzles is a little tedious. And to clear up some of the misinformation that's being scraped from blog to blog: Standard Waiver is a game I made in Construct for LD14; and I'm free to mess with it so any limitations are either of Construct or me, not SW.

Status update:
I just want to let you guys know that if I disappear in the next few days or so it's not because I'm staging a suicide.
Some cop tried to shake down my landlord or something and as a result we've been kicked out with only one week's notice. I recently put my savings into setting up a new office, and my business plan for the first few months kind of relied on the super-cheap rent we had at that place, so right now I'm selling everything to try and raise enough money for the deposit on a new apartment (which since I'm in China will only be a few hundred bucks, but this happened at a really bad time).

So, yeah, if I vanish it's probably because I'm a homeless couch surfer.
Spincut
Level 1

Playing the games you make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2009, 02:42:51 PM »

I hope you find a new apartment quickly, Radix! I played the demo and it's looking very promising.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2009, 07:51:21 PM »

Update: Crisis over, we managed to find a place last-second. And it's actually a pretty cool apartment.

Hey, check out the view:

My phone camera sucks but that tall black building looks like Combine technology.

Now I'm itching to make some fucking games.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2009, 08:00:15 PM »

Now I'm itching to make some fucking games.
For the compo?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic