Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:26:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallBroken Garden
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Broken Garden  (Read 5634 times)
K. Thor Jensen
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2009, 10:10:15 AM »

I just released a new Flash SHMUP and I'd love to hear what you think.

http://www.shortandhappy.com/games/brokengarden/
Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 12:33:56 PM »

Works.  Stylized graphics are nice.  Would have liked mouse control instead of keyboard control!

With respect to the text that appears at the beginning of levels, it's difficult to read when it fades in and out one line at a time.  Having several lines show at a time, in different stages of fade, may be preferable.

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 02:04:49 AM »

I really suggest to change the controls... Using the keyboard is fine, but having the fire keys just under the direction ones is awful.

Davide "m3xican" Coppola - Vindicta Games

Sim Betting Football, the only football betting simulation game
pgil
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 05:51:03 AM »

Really nice game. I like the music, and the upgrade system works well. My only complaint: The difficulty really jumps up at Genesis 4:38. Up to that point, it was a nice casual shooter, then it suddenly turns into bullet hell.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 06:45:39 PM »

I really suggest to change the controls... Using the keyboard is fine, but having the fire keys just under the direction ones is awful.

You can use the arrow keys to move, too.

I found the game pretty hard (okay), but was kind of frustrated that the stark colors and low contrast (white on beige background) made it hard to see the floating lines (not shot by the enemies, the ones that just appear and float around) and realize they are things that would kill you.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 09:46:48 PM »

I dunno, I didn't have any trouble figuring out what could and couldn't kill you.

I had a lot of fun with this one!  Admittedly, using Judas was a bad move.  But once I switched to Eve, I was fine 'til the end.

Out of curiousity, what's with the Scripture angle anyway?  Or is it just something random?
I thought maybe it was man vs. Eden to start... but selecting Satan didn't make much sense in that context.

Or maybe it does. I don't got much Bible in my head.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
K. Thor Jensen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 01:59:23 PM »

Fixed some bugs, and you can now shoot with , and . as well as Z and X.

The scriptural angle is just thematic, but careful reading of the Bible will reveal that the story I'm telling and the story in the book... diverge at a certain point.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 03:00:54 PM »

The mouse cursor disappears when you go to the Help screen.

I *might* be spending another afternoon on this game.  There is a chance.  Roll Eyes

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Curseman
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 06:50:41 PM »

Pretty fun game.  It would be really tough if not for the fact that secondary attacks can clear bullets.  I got it upgraded to the second highest point, and it saved my life I don't even know how many times.

Satan was the most effective character for me.  Cain seemed like he'd be good, but his homing shots get screwed over by some things, like the sword on the second boss, or those spinning wall wheel things where they target the center instead of the actual hitbox.  Judas' primary weapon seemed pretty useless, and I don't think Adam's limited ability to fight multiple targets would have what it takes for the later levels.

The last boss was tough - I wondered if you hadn't made him unkillable for a while there.  If ever there was a point in a game where an unwinnable battle makes sense, that would be it.

Is there nothing you can do at the point after that fight?  I tried shooting and flying into the apple and I just died.  Maybe I should've tried doing nothing and seeing what happens.  Oh well.
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 07:41:36 PM »

very nice!  Smiley

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
K. Thor Jensen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 03:01:13 PM »

Curseman - That is the end of the game. The text that appears before that point should provide some idea of why the resolution is less than satisfying.

Thanks for the feedback, all!
Curseman
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 09:37:23 PM »

Okay, that's what I thought, I just wasn't sure.
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 12:32:36 PM »

Interesting game.

Collision with those rotating shapes seems to be off a bit; I've gotten killed quite a lot just by being near one.

The scriptural angle is just thematic, but careful reading of the Bible will reveal that the story I'm telling and the story in the book... diverge at a certain point.
Heh, I was wondering about that...
Curseman
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 09:17:40 PM »

Collision with those rotating shapes seems to be off a bit; I've gotten killed quite a lot just by being near one.

Yeah, that's happened to me as well, in addition to the thing I mentioned earlier where homing attacks target the center of the "rings" instead of the actual walls that you can damage.
K. Thor Jensen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 12:27:56 PM »

I fucked something up with the collision detection while chasing down a bug. It should be fixed now. The homing shots thing, however, will never work with the hexagons due to the way I built them, because I am an idiot.
Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 10:10:15 AM »

This game is pretty wonderful! I fell directly for the aestethics and the subtle click sounds.

And the text: It's rather suiting that it's a bit "obscure" and disappears as it will probably add to the replay value (first time you may not read it much, but later times when you get used to (or possibly bored by) the gameplay you'll probably pay more attention to it and take in its pieces)

While I haven't played many Shmups I think the experience system is pretty nice, is it inspired by some special game? Also, I'm a bit curious about how long it takes to finish a game like this?

Great work, man!

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 04:23:55 PM »

Aha, really cool! I like the text and the theme, and the music/etc. works. The angels somehow look like angels from Xenogears to me, which this game reminded me of quite a bit. The game slows down when there are a lot of my bullets on screen, which I think has probably got to do with collision detection. Maybe put the enemies into buckets?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic