Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:07:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGame Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 155
Print
Author Topic: Game Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name  (Read 612176 times)
Dark_Oppressor
Level 0

Great personal text pending.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1880 on: January 24, 2012, 04:55:24 PM »

Here's my game's title:

Hubert's Island Adventure: Mouse o' War

It's a 2D platformer about an elephant named Hubert (and his friends) who must defeat an evil pirate captain (who is a mouse) named Dakkar.

How does my name score?

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: January 24, 2012, 05:48:54 PM »

Yes indeed, we like "The Dashing Knight" and hit ourselves for not thinking of the word Dash Smiley

Keep them coming!

Galloping Gallantry

Tired
Goodis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: January 27, 2012, 01:17:41 AM »

I started a fast paced shoot 'em up which is rather a "avoid 'em"
The goal is to score points by staying alive and go as far as possible.
You can do that by avoiding waves of enemies and/or using force fields.
Since a friend pointed at the fact that it looks like "StarFox", I named it StarForce.
Visually even if it's only at the stage of a prototype, it will be on the abstract side as you can see in this video

I ended up calling it Sagittarius_A*
(still a working title though)

Leonil_Requiem
Level 0

I play fighting games well. :3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1883 on: January 27, 2012, 04:25:45 AM »

Hello, I'm Leonil, a story writer fresh out the gate and ready to give the world a piece, or pieces, of my mind. My games are in their "egg" stages, but a name is definitely not gonna hurt their production. It's a pleasure to met you all and thankyou for the support and concern. ^_^

"Roar of Legacy"
Roar of Legacy is a 2D Fighting where the whole engine revolves around you having the freedom to changing into creatures and beast. In this fast-paced airdasher, you will be living out the life of a young boy who meets other Demi-beast in attempt to sort out their own threads of fate. Expected sequels and series are also being developed as well.

"Live by the Stars: Zodiac Battle Royal"
Live by the Stars: Zodiac Battle Royal is a 2D fighting game where you have the freedom of picking between any of the horoscope deities and their arranged arsenal of high flying, ground-quaking moves to beat down your opponent. Even if it's your best friend, enjoy the rush of the fight and the thrill of controlling your very own star sign!

Shrug

Gotta have my fighters :3

(Blazblue, GuiltyGear, MeltyBlood, SSIVAE2012 lol let's get more money *rant*, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3,  soul caliber 5*, *cough*13 <--[Kof13] )
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1884 on: January 27, 2012, 07:12:33 PM »

Yes indeed, we like "The Dashing Knight" and hit ourselves for not thinking of the word Dash Smiley

Keep them coming!

I'd go with Knight Dashing if you're going this route (describes what the game is about, describes the character, and is a riff on Prince Charming, who is a staple of these fairy tale scenarios involving princesses needing rescue).

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
UP_Kevin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: January 29, 2012, 09:54:48 AM »

How does Holiday Havoc sound? http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/holiday-havoc/id477751829?mt=8
Hydroida
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: January 31, 2012, 10:11:10 AM »

The name of a game does have an important role in the commercial success of a game because for many people learning about the game's existence, the name is the first thing they encounter. If the name is poor, then they may not feel interested enough to even look at it. That could be a lost sale. The only job the title has to do is string us along to the other content before we lose interest.
I think it is true that short, simple names are often powerful, but are still not always the best choice. For instance, "Mr. Heart Loves You Very Much" seems to me to be the stronger title by far.
If a title seems to tell us what occurs within the game, people have probably judged it before even looking. This might be good as a hook or bad because they will imagine something worse than whats really there.
If a title hints at something interesting but doesn't tell us what the game is about, it probably makes us curious. That's why I like "Mr. Heart Loves You Very Much". Just the name makes me want to learn more.
I also think phonetics can play an important role. "Final Fantasy" is a good title because...I forget the word for it, but the similarity between the two words. It makes it memorable. However this effect is highly unlikely to survive translation, so a rebranding would probably be better than a direct translation. Which might actually be the case there, but I haven't done the research.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: January 31, 2012, 12:04:51 PM »

Keep them coming!

I'd go with Knight Dashing if you're going this route (describes what the game is about, describes the character, and is a riff on Prince Charming, who is a staple of these fairy tale scenarios involving princesses needing rescue).

I don't think the connection is that strong. If the name were Prince Dashing, yeah it would work, but Knight Dashing to two degrees of separation from the reference.

(Knight Dashing also sounds like you's smashing knights together, or smashing things into knights.)

I also think phonetics can play an important role. "Final Fantasy" is a good title because...I forget the word for it, but the similarity between the two words. It makes it memorable. However this effect is highly unlikely to survive translation, so a rebranding would probably be better than a direct translation. Which might actually be the case there, but I haven't done the research.

The word you're looking for alliteration. The more memorable a name is, the better, and alliteration is one trick. As you also said, a short name is often better (because it is easier to remember), but it can't be a common word or difficult to pronounce, though a longer uniquely odd phrase can be just as effective (and may also describe the game better): compare The Investigator with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1888 on: January 31, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »

I'm working 2D on a puzzle/action platformer based around colours. The story is fairly scarce, I'm thinking maybe the protagonist and a friend investigate a strange structure that appeared near their town, the friend gets abducted by some kind of strange force (could be magic, could be aliens, not sure yet) and the main character goes through trials to get his friend back.

I was thinking of things like "Chroma Chaos" and "Palette Panic" but there's no combat so "chaos" and "panic" feel a little off. In an earlier iteration of this design I was intending there to be combat and the main character would look like a knight, so I went with "Palette Knight" (based off palette knife) but I don't think it suits the game any more. The core mechanic involves changing the colour of your player and interacting with the environment differently depending on your colour.

Anyway, any suggestions would be welcome!

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1889 on: January 31, 2012, 03:58:54 PM »

I'm working 2D on a puzzle/action platformer based around colours. The story is fairly scarce, I'm thinking maybe the protagonist and a friend investigate a strange structure that appeared near their town, the friend gets abducted by some kind of strange force (could be magic, could be aliens, not sure yet) and the main character goes through trials to get his friend back.

I was thinking of things like "Chroma Chaos" and "Palette Panic" but there's no combat so "chaos" and "panic" feel a little off. In an earlier iteration of this design I was intending there to be combat and the main character would look like a knight, so I went with "Palette Knight" (based off palette knife) but I don't think it suits the game any more. The core mechanic involves changing the colour of your player and interacting with the environment differently depending on your colour.

Anyway, any suggestions would be welcome!

Depending on how set in stone you are about who the protagonist and the friend are, you could have the protagonist be a princess, and the friend be an adventurer/knight/whatever (role reversal), and then you could call it "Pallette Princess". This would give you an alliterative title and a subversion of an established trope (you could even build up the intro to make it look like the Princess is the one going to get kidnapped, and then pull the rug from under the player by making the aliens/magic/kidnappers more interested in her friend).

Other alternatives:

Chromanipulate
Colore
Leap or Dye
Tint & Tumble

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1890 on: January 31, 2012, 04:29:09 PM »

For some reason I really like the idea of a cocky friend pushing the envelope a little too far and getting punished for it, then getting rescued by his more unassuming friend. I was thinking of possibly even having him be a hero sent to check out the anomaly and the player is his sidekick.

Anyway, you've given me some good ideas to work with. I like Tint & Tumble and Chromanipulate especially. I might not use them word for word, but I like the direction they're headed in.

I'm just using primary/secondary colours in the game, so I don't think anyone would complain if I made references to light (the only colour I'm missing from ROYGBIV is indigo). Maybe something with Prism or Spectrum in it. I feel like there must be more colour-related words I'm not thinking of.

ink.inc
« Reply #1891 on: January 31, 2012, 04:32:28 PM »

For some reason I really like the idea of a cocky friend pushing the envelope a little too far and getting punished for it, then getting rescued by his more unassuming friend. I was thinking of possibly even having him be a hero sent to check out the anomaly and the player is his sidekick.

The Plot of Gurren Lagann

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1892 on: January 31, 2012, 05:46:31 PM »

Lemme see you grit those TEEETH!

(On topic: Chroma Key would be a nice pun title if the artifact needs a key to unlock it...)

AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1893 on: January 31, 2012, 07:25:10 PM »

Haha, not familiar with that at all but I would assume it isn't the most original plot in the world.

Chroma Key is another good one. I just thought of Palette Swap (so obvious! how did I not think of that before?) but google taught me an indie game developer owns "paletteswap.com" so I don't know if it's the name of a game in development or what. Not that I don't think I could take him (Tongue), but I don't really want to have people look up my game and find his or vice versa.

I'm starting to lean towards wanting some kind of synonym for "transform" or "change" or "morph" or "mutate" in there. Words!

Thanks for all the help so far. I'd love to just straight up take someone's suggestion, but I'm the kind of person that needs to weigh my options.

I might go with "Prismal Rage", not because it suits the game very well but because it's kind of funny and pretty memorable. Or I could make the main character a gorilla and call it Prismate.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:42:52 PM by TheAdam » Logged

AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1894 on: February 01, 2012, 02:22:21 AM »

Sorry to spam this thread. I kind of like just "Hue" as a name the more I think about it. As much as I like puns and alliterations, I think this game would benefit from keeping things simple since the game itself is fairly simple. I also wanted something fairly memorable that can be dropped in a conversation easily but maintain a level of mystery.

This is probably what I'm gonna go with. I even made a logo.

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: February 01, 2012, 12:39:11 PM »

Sorry to spam this thread. I kind of like just "Hue" as a name the more I think about it. As much as I like puns and alliterations, I think this game would benefit from keeping things simple since the game itself is fairly simple. I also wanted something fairly memorable that can be dropped in a conversation easily but maintain a level of mystery.

This is probably what I'm gonna go with. I even made a logo.

Stay away from dark colours on black: it reads as I JE. Logos should have alternates for this situation: light on a black/dark background, dark on a white/light background.

You might consider adding a subtitle of some kind if you want people to be able to find this through Google (86,700,000 hits for hue, 22,900,000 for hue game).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:59:26 PM by rek » Logged
AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1896 on: February 01, 2012, 07:55:29 PM »

Fair points. I did create a version of the logo with solid colours, but I liked the way the outline one looked more. I'll consider a subtitle or something too, but "hue game" only returns 2 other legitimate looking games on the front page (Hue Shift and Hue Runner) so I'm not too worried. The domain "huegame.com" also seems to be up for grabs.

Reggie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: February 05, 2012, 11:22:15 PM »

You can find more videos, screenshots, arts, etc on our blog

I love the timelapse videos of the art process, it's always good to examine how other people do that kind of stuff. The video remind me, as well as the game itself, of Castle Crashers. Perhaps it's just the perspective + setting and character, but they also seem shockingly similar to the timelapse drawing videos The Behemoth came out with quite a while ago, which are also a good watch if you're interested.
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: February 06, 2012, 07:15:30 PM »

Who loves evil computers? Everybody loves evil computers!

You play a guy who, while on a plane flight, ended up crashing in the Arctic. Finding shelter in an almost completely abandoned experiment facility, you find yourself at the mercy of its sole inhabitant: an artificial intelligence that was built to simulate an actual human brain. With the robot gone completely homicidal and with the heating system destroyed, you need to find a way to leave the arctic cold while avoiding freezing to death and the intentions of a crazy, thinking machine.

But here's the catch: the facility and its technology is obsolete by years. The evil computer? Running on a Tandy. The base set up in the Arctic? There so that the hundreds of processors don't overheat every time it makes a coherent thought. What's more, after it found your new laptop computer, it's become fully aware of its obsolescence. So not only are you avoiding a homicidal thinking computer, you're fighting a homicidal thinking computer questioning its own place in a hi-tech world. And also you're freezing to death.
I'm thinking a name like B1P0LAR, or something like that. What say you?
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: February 06, 2012, 08:30:54 PM »

Who loves evil computers? Everybody loves evil computers!

You play a guy who, while on a plane flight, ended up crashing in the Arctic. Finding shelter in an almost completely abandoned experiment facility, you find yourself at the mercy of its sole inhabitant: an artificial intelligence that was built to simulate an actual human brain. With the robot gone completely homicidal and with the heating system destroyed, you need to find a way to leave the arctic cold while avoiding freezing to death and the intentions of a crazy, thinking machine.

But here's the catch: the facility and its technology is obsolete by years. The evil computer? Running on a Tandy. The base set up in the Arctic? There so that the hundreds of processors don't overheat every time it makes a coherent thought. What's more, after it found your new laptop computer, it's become fully aware of its obsolescence. So not only are you avoiding a homicidal thinking computer, you're fighting a homicidal thinking computer questioning its own place in a hi-tech world. And also you're freezing to death.
I'm thinking a name like B1P0LAR, or something like that. What say you?

It works!

GLACIAL might also work, combining the climate setting and the speed (or lack of) of the antagonist's thought process.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 155
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic