Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:13:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGame Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 155
Print
Author Topic: Game Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name  (Read 618504 times)
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 02:40:03 PM »

This thread is the most hilarious use of parody in the entire internets.

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 03:50:52 PM »

Ok I'll bite:
My game is called "It's Raining Orks" it is a paratrooper clone with more weapons, more planes, and you guessed it big smelly orks.
Here is a screen shot:

If you actualy want to play it go here:
http://monkeydev.com/hciro/

It is free ware so comercial success is already a failure, and I am calling it done so don't expect me to chainge anything about it.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 04:12:52 PM »

Names are important, I'll give you that, but not THAT important. You shouldn't change the entire direction of a game just because you don't think it fits the name.

Well, I don't think 'The Tower' would need to change direction much in order to become 'Spire'. But in the general case, it totally depends on how bad the current name is, and how good the proposed name change is. If you working name is 'Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3', then I think you should take a new name, even if it means abandoning the original basic direction of the game.

Quote from: Alec

You're assuming I'm being facetious because you think it's not possible that naming could be that fundamental, that CRUCIAL of a skill. Your whole worldview will fall apart if you accept it even for a moment.

'Could it be true', you wonder, 'that objects are created by their names, and not the other way around?'

'No', you assure yourself, 'meaning is independent of description. A tree still falls in the forest. My mind needn't be blown today.'
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 04:21:37 PM by Benzido » Logged
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 04:20:50 PM »

My game is called "It's Raining Orks"

Fair enough. Your existing name, 'It's Raining Orks' is funny and it evokes a mental image which people may want to see realized. It's not too long, and it attaches itself to an annoying and catchy theme song, which - thanks - is now stuck in my head. This is an effective strategy for naming a freeware game.

So it's pretty much a 5/5.... for this game.

I can't help feeling that if you'd settled on a different name early in development, it might have been a massive internet success. I would have advised you to name it:

"Here come the Australians"
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2007, 04:25:49 PM »

You're assuming I'm being facetious because you think it's not possible that naming could be that fundamental, that CRUCIAL of a skill. Your whole worldview will fall apart if you accept it even for a moment.

'Could it be true', you wonder, 'that objects are created by their names, and not the other way around?'

'No', you assure yourself, 'meaning is independent of description. A tree still falls in the forest. My mind needn't be blown today.'

Oddly enough this rant is very similar to the sales pitch of the companty I currently work for. They make vocabulary software so a guess that much is to be expected.

I can't help feeling that if you'd settled on a different name early in development, it might have been a massive internet success. I would have advised you to name it:
Actualy I decided on the name late in development as kind of a whim to ammuse my girlfriend.

"Here come the Australians"
Shocked are you insulting Australians, Orks, or both?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 04:32:13 PM by hamster » Logged

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2007, 04:42:05 PM »

Here come the Australians would have made it more of a success? That name just doesn't even remotely appeal to me (not because I'm Australian or anything).. it just sounds odd.

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2007, 04:48:37 PM »

Oddly enough this rant is very similar to the sales pitch of the companty I currently work for. They make vocabulary software so a guess that much is to be expected.

Excellent. The name of your company's vocabulary software should be:

"Eloquence Effectuates Existence" or "LFX".

Quote from: moshboy
Here come the Australians would have made it more of a success? That name just doesn't even remotely appeal to me (not because I'm Australian or anything).. it just sounds odd.

Try to imagine what the game would have been like if this was the working title. Don't just evaluate the words. A name is not just words.

This is important. A name is not just words.

<edit> - Nice avatar, I now have. Nice callsign too. Thanks, anonymous moderator/benefactor!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 04:59:30 PM by Benzido » Logged
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2007, 05:00:07 PM »

HAHA! Nice title there!  :D That name will attract many people.

Tex Pine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2007, 05:01:40 PM »

Hey, I'll give it a try!  Wink The name is LexVenture, and more on the game can be found here: http://www.interama.net/?page_id=12&langswitch_lang=en
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2007, 05:03:24 PM »

Quote from: Alec

I can't tell if you're joking or you're just a pretentious snot. Tongue

Either way, this thread is hilarious.
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2007, 05:07:46 PM »

The name is LexVenture

This looks like the kind of game which I would fall into a horrible addiction spiral with, and never ever emerge. I hope it succeeds!

Having said that, my problem with the name 'LexVenture' is that it is so hard to say that it almost becomes hard to read. I can see you're close to release, so perhaps I shouldn't offer a suggested title, in case I get blamed for the eventual outcome.

<edit> Actually, screw that, how cowardly of me. Your name 'LexVenture' sounds like a portmanteau of two words which shouldn't be joined up. Instead I'd have called it "Inspector Lex".

I can't tell if you're joking or you're just a pretentious snot.
Can't it be both?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 05:12:56 PM by Benzido » Logged
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2007, 05:08:37 PM »

OK, I have to go out to dinner. I'll be back later, to name and rename more of your games!
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2007, 07:05:44 PM »

"standard bits"

lowbit exploration silliness, for gamma 256.

I went through a bunch of names -- "solo robo", "bit bit", "bit byte"....   Naming things is hard.

@doomlaser, mark johns
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2007, 10:19:12 PM »

"standard bits"
Naming things is hard.

Yes it is! That's what I'm trying to say. Well, you came up with a good name. But I think an experimental game should steer clear of the word "standard". I would have called it

"weird bits"
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2007, 10:34:19 PM »

I'd go for Barnacle Bits, personally.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2007, 11:31:26 PM »

I thought the whole point of "standard bits" was the irony, which is pretty cool.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2007, 12:09:51 AM »

Here are a few suggestions :
-RAZZZR TALONS
-ASS PYRE ATHOR
-SHARP OBJECTS OF DOOM
-THE ALIEN SPACESHIPS ARE ATTACKING EARTH
-MATCH'EM 3 COLOURS PARTNER HIDEHO
-THERE IS A MANIAC IN THE WOODS
-STACK THE SHAPES
-COLOURS 3000
-I'B B4LLIN

You are free to use them benzido  Smiley

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2007, 12:33:43 AM »

OMG you guys I found the new trailer for the Ico Director's Cut!

DO DO DO DO DO DO

YOU'LL NEVER KNOW

DO DO DO DO DO DO

SHADOW CREATURES AFTER YOU

YOU LOOK LIKE YOU'RE READY TO GO

HOLD MY HAAAAAND
I'LL TAKE YOU EVERYWHERE
ANYWHERE YOU WANT TO GO

« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 12:41:37 AM by Alec » Logged

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2007, 12:43:06 AM »

"Warrior Epic".

Well, come on then Master Zido.

ALSO: "Here come the Australians." Genius. I'd go for that.

Heart's Desire... not so much, eh? Not much love. Not very much love at all.
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2007, 09:22:13 AM »

"Warrior Epic".

Ok, you haven't given me a lot to go on here. "Warrior Epic" could be a good ironic name like "Scary Movie". But if the game isn't a parody, clearly the name is much too generic. You need something which is more original and grandiose without being cheesy.

You should call your game:

"Fierce".

Quote from: moi
THERE IS A MANIAC IN THE WOODS

I have my credit card out. Where can I buy this game???

Quote from: moi
STACK THE SHAPES

Tetris already has a good name.

Quote from: Alex
Hold My Hand: an Ico Story

I said no colons are allowed. Anyway, am I the only person who thought that Ico was a love story? Am I the only person who played through twice so I could get the watermelon ending?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 155
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic