Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 03:32:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGame Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 155
Print
Author Topic: Game Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name  (Read 618226 times)
siskavard
« Reply #2300 on: February 14, 2013, 06:58:59 AM »

Current Project is Frog Friendzie, thoughts?? YouTube video @

I don't understand the 'friend' part of the name, it seems more simple to just use the word frenzy. Maybe you explained it in your video, but I couldn't get past 5 seconds or so of it because it's extremely boring. If you're trying to raise money for this, you've made the first mistake of presenting your game in the most boring way possible, by just standing there stiffly talking about it and then slowly navigating through your menu. Just START with the gameplay & maybe talk over it.

Sorry if that comes across as harsh, but I see this all the time and it boggles my mind. People ask for money to make a game and start their video with some dude talking for 10 minutes straight. SHOW THE GAME.
alemke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2301 on: February 19, 2013, 10:22:03 AM »

Hey guys I'm working on a perspective based puzzle game which takes place in the victorian era. Heres a possible logo I put together earlier:

What do you think. It's definitely better than
Once Upon a Time There was a Movable Forest...
our previous working title
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:45:56 AM by alemke » Logged

MA-Simon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2302 on: February 20, 2013, 04:13:26 AM »

Hey guys I'm working on a perspective based puzzle game which takes place in the victorian era. Heres a possible logo I put together earlier:

Does your project feature extensive music / sound puzzles?
And why newborn? Is it a game about a musically ambitious toddler? Wink

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2303 on: February 20, 2013, 04:34:56 AM »

"Newborn Bard" doesn't sound Victorian to me. It makes me think of the story of Taliesin, from medieval Wales ( http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Mabinogion/Taliesin )

I like the working title, although I can see that it's a bit long. What is the game about?

alemke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2304 on: February 20, 2013, 08:43:23 AM »

You play as a scientist who's recently left the academy and goes off on an adventure in nature where he solves various puzzles while learning to let go of the dogma which previously governed his life. the puzzles are all perspective based and our character learns to see his world from a different perspective.
by the end of the game he is born anew to tell his story again.

siskavard
« Reply #2305 on: February 20, 2013, 11:15:56 AM »

Viewpoint Bard

I got nuthin.
Mixxy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: February 26, 2013, 02:17:04 PM »

Fantastic thread idea. As someone who always struggles with naming things, I believe I should take full advantage of this service.

I don't have any real screenshots of my current project (most of the graphics are currently colored blocks with their object name written on them at the moment) but I don't think that'll be an issue.

The game is about a young man living in an empire which is similar to Elizabethan England (early 1600s). In the empire, only those affiliated with the church may practice magic. However, there is a persistent problem with heretical sorcerers who learn and use magic in secrecy. The main character was involved with such a group, but he was caught and arrested. Sentenced to be hanged, he was offered the alternative of devoting his life to serving the church. The game begins several years later. It plays like an old Zelda game, but the bosses fight like Touhou bosses (bullet-hell, for those unfamiliar). The setting is rather dark and the story focuses on the moral crisis caused by the main character being forced to kill what he considers to be innocent people.

I've been calling it "Witch Hunter". I consider that more of a working title than anything, though.
VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2307 on: February 27, 2013, 06:30:26 AM »

Engine / Editor for 2D tile-based games : Mason Engine?

(hastily made portable nuclear powered masonry tile saw concept logo)

Mixxy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: February 27, 2013, 08:15:13 PM »

Engine / Editor for 2D tile-based games : Mason Engine?

(hastily made portable nuclear powered masonry tile saw concept logo)

My 2 cents: I'd just call it "Mason", or "Masonry". And I'd personally make the logo a hammer and chisel, which is much more universally recognized than a tile saw.
alemke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2309 on: February 28, 2013, 03:55:35 PM »

yea i like just Mason

super clean

dafa.gines
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: March 05, 2013, 03:04:11 AM »

Hello, i will give a try to than Smiley
What u think about REFUSION ?

The name was collaborated due to its attributes - fusion of RTS and FPS.
Its an development project, going to be released in few months.
Together, these FPS and RTS players create a worldwide living multi player[ game.

Launch a wide assortment of units in extensive and border-less battlefield in the environments of large-scale game. The game is composed  of units and buildings with their own physical attributes .

http://www.refusion-game.com
Ant
« Reply #2311 on: March 05, 2013, 03:33:29 AM »

Well I guess Refusion is okay as a sort of buzzword, but it's a pretty ambiguous term that could describe anything really.  Shrug
siskavard
« Reply #2312 on: March 05, 2013, 08:48:27 AM »

Hello, i will give a try to than Smiley
What u think about REFUSION ?

The name was collaborated due to its attributes - fusion of RTS and FPS.
Its an development project, going to be released in few months.
Together, these FPS and RTS players create a worldwide living multi player[ game.

Launch a wide assortment of units in extensive and border-less battlefield in the environments of large-scale game. The game is composed  of units and buildings with their own physical attributes .

http://www.refusion-game.com

Refusion makes me think that it's going to be some sort of puzzle game, where you fuse objects together, or use fusion in some sort of problem solving way. You say "The name was collaborated due to its attributes - fusion of RTS and FPS." - and your website goes further to say that this is a unique combination. But those two genres have been fused together for years, it's nothing new & to name your game based on that is very 2002. In fact if that's all that it's got going for it, then you will be well served to rethink the game entirely.

What else does the game have going for it that you could possibly start brainstorming some other name? I don't think Refusion is the best way to go. Just my two cents.
fractilegames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2313 on: March 06, 2013, 08:51:12 AM »

I have been planning to rename my game, The Platform Shooter (http://www.fractilegames.com/products/the-platform-shooter/). The current name was originally a working title, but it got stuck Smiley

The new name I have in mind is "Lockdown Protocol". After all, the action takes place in a scientific facility on lockdown with armed guards hunting down any survivors. Quick Google search did not show up any gaming related results for that name. What do you think?

soulareus
Level 0

Making exciting little worlds

View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: March 08, 2013, 05:23:06 PM »

I just finished a game I call Heartography.  It was something I started as part of the global game jam 2013.  It's a game where you battle against the computer or another person sitting next to you to complete the largest veins without running out of blood.  While I can't change the name since I've already post it, I often wonder if I'm not missing a better name for this game.  I would really love to know if you have a better idea for a name, so I can worry about it and realize the lost opportunities which I will never realize.

Here's a link to the web game on Kongregate: http://www.kongregate.com/games/soulareus/heartography

And a screenshot:

Jisho
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: March 08, 2013, 05:44:29 PM »

A Dangerous Venture

An action adventure game inspired by Zelda a Link to the Past and Dungeons and Dragons, in which the DnD elements push the game to rogue-like mechanics and play.

Thank you very much for the feedback in advance.
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2316 on: March 09, 2013, 09:04:08 PM »

A Dangerous Venture

An action adventure game inspired by Zelda a Link to the Past and Dungeons and Dragons, in which the DnD elements push the game to rogue-like mechanics and play.

Drop the "A "..  it makes it sound generic. And no listings you're going to be trying to get higher up on are going to be alphabetic anyway.

Maybe a couple of other tweaks but I'll leave it at that.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: March 11, 2013, 08:38:31 AM »

A Dangerous Venture

Drop the "A "..  it makes it sound generic. And no listings you're going to be trying to get higher up on are going to be alphabetic anyway.

With or without the "A" it's a generic title. Why is it a dangerous venture? What is the venture? Where is it set? Why should I be interested? The title tells me nothing engaging.
Jisho
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: March 11, 2013, 09:19:26 AM »

A Dangerous Venture

Drop the "A "..  it makes it sound generic. And no listings you're going to be trying to get higher up on are going to be alphabetic anyway.

With or without the "A" it's a generic title. Why is it a dangerous venture? What is the venture? Where is it set? Why should I be interested? The title tells me nothing engaging.

Great feedback and questions!

I should have included the thought process about the name and more about the game initially...

There is a couple play on words happening.

The character you play is part of a just established adventurers guild. (The screen shot is actually taken from the sequence where you go through and clear out the basement of the building the guild is going to use.)

So, it could be viewed as risky undertaking of starting an adventurer guild ie Venture. The Dangerous is suppose to imply that it is hard and death is likely.

Also when you abbreviate part of the title, which is also the name of the newly established guild, it comes out to ADVenture.

Course I get the feeling this could be too much, way to generic, or I just did not explain enough.

Again thank you very much for the feedback and I welcome more!
Sergi
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2319 on: March 11, 2013, 02:04:02 PM »

I've been working on a puzzle game, where you place lights on tiles according to numbers on the walls (there's more to it, though).

The aesthetics are still to be decided, so no screenshots as of now, but the light will be yellowish-orange. These are the two names I have in mind:

"Amber Lights".
"Ambershines".

"Amber Lamps" was out of the question, for obvious reasons.

I especially like "Ambershines", but English is not my first nor second language, so I'm not sure whether it makes sense or it's weird, or something.

Halp, native speakers!

Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 155
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic