Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:02:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGame Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 155
Print
Author Topic: Game Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name  (Read 612353 times)
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: June 10, 2013, 05:07:49 AM »

Yeah, it's too literal.
Hehe esperanto! I love esperanto. I think "Pluvo" sounds too humouros though, my game is far more pretentious than that. Don't know about changing the language, none of the creatures in the game are able to speak, and naming it in french or something would be a bit off-canon, as those languages don't exist in the fictional world. Does that make sense? Like, in star wars what they actually speak is "Galactic Basic" but that particular language is swapped for english because of viewer convenience. Then if something spanish or esperanto or whatever showed up it would kind of point to that and make it obvious.
siskavard
« Reply #2381 on: June 10, 2013, 07:56:27 AM »

...my game is far more pretentious than that.

I love your honesty here  Cheesy

My opinion with your game is that you make up a word that is the name of the planet. It will help with the tone your going for and on the plus side will be easily searchable. So long as you keep it around 2 or 3 syllables.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: June 10, 2013, 08:37:35 AM »

Yeah, that's a good idea, but there is a problem: All the creatures in the game are mute. So an arbitrary "fantasy language" name would be very strange, because the question would be who uses that name?

I've kind of wanted to create the feeling of being an animal, and animals move through their environments, think, and make decisions without naming anything. For that reason nothing in the game has an official name, not even the different species of creatures. Giving the area a name would be kind of out of the blue, and I don't even know if it would be possible to make it clear that the strange word was the name of the place.

Huh? Huh? Huh?
siskavard
« Reply #2383 on: June 10, 2013, 09:16:46 AM »

Yeah, that's a good idea, but there is a problem: All the creatures in the game are mute. So an arbitrary "fantasy language" name would be very strange, because the question would be who uses that name?

I've kind of wanted to create the feeling of being an animal, and animals move through their environments, think, and make decisions without naming anything. For that reason nothing in the game has an official name, not even the different species of creatures. Giving the area a name would be kind of out of the blue, and I don't even know if it would be possible to make it clear that the strange word was the name of the place.

Huh? Huh? Huh?

How about some sort of synonym then for mute?

Aphonic
Aphasic
Silence

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: June 10, 2013, 10:32:35 AM »

@JLJac: I like the name because I got used to it, some brainstorming:
rain
rainfall
acid rain
(the) noise of rain
behind (the) rain
endless rain
reptile minds
darwin
erosion
runoff
acid punk(s)
rain punk(s)
fukushima
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 10:58:57 PM by Chromanoid » Logged
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2385 on: June 11, 2013, 01:10:31 AM »

I do like the silence theme... The world when you play in it is very silent and still, but that's supposed to be an exeption from the complete mayhem that it normally is. If I could point to that contrast somehow...

"Noise of rain" has a good melancholy touch, and "Rain Punk" is very funny because it's so literal (I have a "Punk- " universe going on, and it's defining feature is not steam, not cyber, but, well, yes, rain.) "reptile minds" is interesting. It won't be "reptile" though, as the creatures in the game are too undefined, but something "mind" is cool.
siskavard
« Reply #2386 on: June 11, 2013, 09:58:01 AM »

White noise
Silent Rain

Silence
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #2387 on: June 11, 2013, 10:08:47 AM »

I don't think it's a terrible idea to give the world a name, a made up word that might reflect the environment and creatures. Festoon | Ur | Bauna  Huh?
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: June 11, 2013, 01:56:58 PM »

I like "Fukushima" the most. At least in the Western world it's associated with (post)apocalypse and Japan. It's Japanese for "Good-Fortune Island". It seems to be very rainy there. If useful the game could play in an alternative reality with a world wide apocalypse. The player could explore this contemporary serious setting in the game. The player characters would be ghosts of humans and the lizards would represent toxified nature... ^^ Sorry...I am so curious about your game, I already make up my own little stories :D

some more brainstorming:
tears of (the) rain / tomorrow / yesterday (drenched in pathos :D)
alone in the rain
raindrops
drops in the rain
wet / dripping / teary / blue fur (beware: sexual connotation)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 02:04:54 PM by Chromanoid » Logged
Zokk
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: June 11, 2013, 04:51:19 PM »

Starfall - A 3D first-person surreal fantasy adventure puzzle game.
Darkfire - A third-person sci-fi RPS with prominent psychological horror elements.
Phase 12 - A sci-fi FPS featuring both on-foot and mech combat, both on planets and in space.
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: June 11, 2013, 05:04:26 PM »

I like Erosion, but it doesnt really match the game. Maybe something like Flower, or Journey. Something that is peaceful to say outloud?

ruudk
Level 0

Dev on Sinner's Sorrow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2391 on: June 13, 2013, 11:58:54 PM »

How's Zenzizenzic for a twin stick shmup? Horrible right? Tongue

But there's a bit of a back story to it. I sometimes used it in MMORPG's and the likes as a character name, without actually having a single clue what it meant. Probably at the time I saw it on some list of weird words or something, while trying to figure out a name for a character. But while thinking for a name for this game I eventually came back to Zenzizenzic, since I thought that it kind of sounded fitting for a shmup; it sounds fast. But I figured it might be smart to look up what it actually means, and a bit of a lucky coincidence followed that. Zenzizenzic features a lot of squares and the term 'zenzizenzic' actually refers to a mathematical term of the square of a square, or the fourth power. So well, lots of squares and references to squares, and I figured "heyu, it actually fits thematically as well in a way". And that was good enough for me. But above all I like the look the word (although it's a pain in the ass to type it quite often, because you always have to glance over it twice to make sure it's actually spelled correctly!).

Developing Sinner's Sorrow, a 2D action adventure game.
TaftsBathtub
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: June 14, 2013, 05:27:08 PM »

I'm working on this game that's an action rouge-like-like, but when you die you continue to play as one of your children if you married an NPC.  You play as a mage and I was thinking of incorporating a Scottish/ Old English theme.  My initial thought was to call it "Clan" or "The Clan," but that has some negative connotations, at least where I'm from (southeast US).  I also thought of calling it "Scion," but I think most people would think of the car and not the original meaning of the word.
siskavard
« Reply #2393 on: June 14, 2013, 10:41:15 PM »

I'm working on this game that's an action rouge-like-like, but when you die you continue to play as one of your children if you married an NPC.  You play as a mage and I was thinking of incorporating a Scottish/ Old English theme.  My initial thought was to call it "Clan" or "The Clan," but that has some negative connotations, at least where I'm from (southeast US).  I also thought of calling it "Scion," but I think most people would think of the car and not the original meaning of the word.
How about Patriarch
TaftsBathtub
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: June 15, 2013, 07:31:43 AM »

I like it.
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: June 15, 2013, 11:16:14 AM »

How's Zenzizenzic for a twin stick shmup? Horrible right? Tongue
I like the name. The name has (to me) some hyperactive vibes that should go well with shmups.

[...] I was thinking of incorporating a Scottish/ Old English theme.  My initial thought was to call it "Clan" or "The Clan," but that has some negative connotations, at least where I'm from (southeast US). [...]
@TaftsBathtub & siskavard: While I like "Patriarch" as a game name, the name is imho not gaelic enough Smiley.

@TaftsBathtub: Did you read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_clan? How about calling the game "the clann" or "clanna"? Maybe this lessens the negative connotation. Maybe  "clanship" also does the job.
TaftsBathtub
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: June 15, 2013, 05:40:18 PM »

Clanna has a nice ring to it.  With the speed at which I make games I'll have at least 2 years to decide on a name.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: June 18, 2013, 10:40:12 AM »

A static-screen platformer inspired by N and Super Meat Boy, but with a focus on high-speed, high-precision controls, acrobatic maneuvering, and perfectionism; no booby traps, just pure platforming action.

Platformerer

Why not "Video Game" if you want to be pointlessly self-referential? Panda
siskavard
« Reply #2398 on: June 18, 2013, 10:46:16 AM »

Platformer: The Video Game

$$$
Lumenox_Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: June 19, 2013, 08:32:21 AM »

Here's our game: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=34248.msg905200#msg905200

It's called Aaru's Awakening.

How do you like it ?

We're on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lumenoxgames

Currently working on Aaru's Awakening for PC/Mac/Linux and hopefully for next-gen consoles as well.

Get the demo here: http://lumenox.is/downloads.html

Watch out for us on Steam Greenlight.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 155
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic