Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:43:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGame Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 155
Print
Author Topic: Game Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name  (Read 620053 times)
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: July 31, 2014, 11:45:36 AM »

Because it's been a year... Facepalm

In My Opinion Here are
Things That Make It Easier
To Come Up With A Name For Your
Unnamed (Or Poorly Named) Game

Wizard Who: Tell us about the player character(s), including any names or back story you may have for them.

Wizard What: Tell us the game's genre, defining mechanics, and look/feel/experience.

Wizard Where: Tell us about the game's setting, the world it takes place in, and any names you may have for it.

Wizard When:

Wizard Why: Tell us the player-character's goal, and what you hope the player feels in pursuing that goal.

Do

Hand Money Right 1. Be aware of the importance of a memorable and unique name. Games with generic names can be difficult to find online. Convoluted fantasy names are hard to remember. Names that sound like existing things are easily mistaken for them (lawsuit time!) or lost among search engine results.

Hand Money Right 2. Research. What are some words and names you like, and why do you like them? Is it the sound or shape of the word? Are there synonyms you can use to make your game's name stand out?

Hand Money Right 3. Take your time. If you're still in the early stages of development, a project name can be used as a place-holder for the final name.

Don't

Tiger 1. Don't ask us to pick from a list of terrible names. You know they're terrible because you couldn't commit to one yourself, so you're here asking strangers on the internet to convince you they aren't terrible.

Tiger 2. Don't mistake art style or genre for name components. It's needlessly limiting, and it's been done to death. Retro 8-Bit Pixelvania isn't unique, it's forgettable, and it doesn't communicate anything about the game other than the most superficial things.

Tiger 3. Don't forget to follow up. If nobody replied to your initial post it's probably because there wasn't enough to go on.
AidenBainsGames
Level 0

Terrance the Flying Eyeball is complete!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2621 on: August 09, 2014, 09:01:28 AM »

My game is called Terrance the Flying Eyeball

Come at me.

Click Here to Play a Game about a Flying Eyeball            
Spire
Level 0

I want to make a video game

View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: August 14, 2014, 07:49:50 AM »

Hey guys so i need some help with a name for my game Wink

It's an in depth name where 2 soldiers in modern time and a long long distant relative of Hitler plans to get his revenge. He is a leading scientist in America and creates a fake conflict that causes them to go back in time during the holocaust. It turns out that the scientist also went back in time with a device that allowed him to change the time period. The soldiers' mission is to kill hitler before auswitchz(I think i spelled that right) is created but it turns out the scientist already saved hitler. When they were going back to modern time the device malfunctioned and now there is a rip in time that only affects the 2 soldiers hitler and the scientist. As the story plays out they will transaction through time periods. The multiplayer will be a mixture of future modern and past weapoans all jumboed into one action packed experience
Jester Libertas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: August 17, 2014, 04:41:16 PM »

I'm submitting for a medieval-themed fantasy RPG currently in early development. As the game takes place in an archipelago of islands named Lyr Afin (from an ancient in-game language) and the game tries to tell the story of players from the perspective of a bard or minstrel, the working title at the moment is "The Ballads of Lyr Afin".

Any thoughts?
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: August 18, 2014, 11:11:07 AM »

It's an in depth name where 2 soldiers in modern time and a long long distant relative of Hitler plans to get his revenge. He is a leading scientist in America and creates a fake conflict that causes them to go back in time during the holocaust. It turns out that the scientist also went back in time with a device that allowed him to change the time period. The soldiers' mission is to kill hitler before auswitchz(I think i spelled that right) is created but it turns out the scientist already saved hitler. When they were going back to modern time the device malfunctioned and now there is a rip in time that only affects the 2 soldiers hitler and the scientist. As the story plays out they will transaction through time periods. The multiplayer will be a mixture of future modern and past weapoans all jumboed into one action packed experience

Let's Kill Hitler
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2625 on: August 19, 2014, 01:59:22 AM »

I'm having a change of heart about the name Molecule Match, I think it might be a misleading name...

Molecule - I worry this is too "sciencey" and will put people off playing it
Match - it's not a Match-3 game but a lot of people assume it is! Whoops.

not a match-3 in sight!

• Study a board of atoms, strategically bond them together to create stable molecules
  • Huge Molecules score highly but can be very difficult to make
  • A new genre of puzzle game that sits somewhere between sudoku / wordsearch / kenken
  • The only similarity to Match-3 is that the board replenishes after atoms are removed
  • There are a number of different goals (ie: make 10 molecules, clear 50 atoms, score at lease 1000 points)
  • ...and different limiting factors (ie: time-based, move-based etc.)

I'm not precious about the name, and am open to any suggestions!

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
AidenBainsGames
Level 0

Terrance the Flying Eyeball is complete!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2626 on: August 19, 2014, 03:04:50 AM »

Yeah, my first assumption was that it was a match 3 game from that name.
Sorry that I don't have a better name for you, but I just wanted to confirm your suspicions Tongue

Click Here to Play a Game about a Flying Eyeball            
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2627 on: August 19, 2014, 04:19:48 AM »

Yeah, my first assumption was that it was a match 3 game from that name.
Sorry that I don't have a better name for you, but I just wanted to confirm your suspicions Tongue

Thanks for the confirmation - maybe I just need to make up a word like sudoku and be done with it. Names are hard!

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2628 on: August 24, 2014, 06:24:40 AM »

Honestly "Molecule" alone is fine. It's quick, gets the idea across, and sounds cool, even if it is "sciencey."

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2629 on: August 24, 2014, 10:43:52 AM »

Honestly "Molecule" alone is fine. It's quick, gets the idea across, and sounds cool, even if it is "sciencey."

I've wrangled with the idea of "Molecule"; I think it's perfect if it wasn't for the fact that there's a few other games called "Molecule" or "Molecules" and I think it might be too competitive in SEO terms - it's sad that we have to factor things like that in to the naming process; therein lies a game in itself!

Mock Anger

Kingel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2630 on: August 24, 2014, 10:50:29 AM »

Atomicull? Durr...?

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2631 on: August 24, 2014, 12:00:46 PM »

something about the bonding process perhaps maybe then

high school buzzwords

"Ionic" or "Covalent" or, failing those, "Substance"

i got nothing else

GroundhogGrafix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: August 25, 2014, 07:10:31 AM »

Ok the name of my game is Argon-18, it was derived from an element on the periodic table which you can guess just so happens to be atomic number 18. This gas produces a violet glow when introduced to high voltage electricity and since my game also has bright colors it seemed well suited. Also it is not a common name and will show up easily in Google search results. Here is a couple of screen shots and I look forward to your professional opinion.

http://a3.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple4/v4/7d/57/66/7d5766a9-a7d6-6662-6960-7a8fed89d657/screen480x480.jpeg
http://a4.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple4/v4/32/1b/5d/321b5dd8-37b7-34aa-5f37-ff0120d28bd7/screen480x480.jpeg

If you would like to play it, this is the link to the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/argon-18/id896263248?mt=8
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2633 on: August 25, 2014, 11:14:13 AM »

Atomicull? Durr...?

I quite like that actually, I'll add it to the list!

something about the bonding process perhaps maybe then

high school buzzwords

"Ionic" or "Covalent" or, failing those, "Substance"

i got nothing else

I've been toying with the word "Bond" but most of the names ended up sounding a bit S&M or James Bond...

Vi112
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: September 03, 2014, 12:31:57 AM »

The name for my game is Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow.

It is a 4x space strategy where the player builds his space empire, sends scout space ships to explore new worlds, figths other races for the supremacy in space with his fleets.

Some in-game screenshots:

In-game tactical combat footage (best viewed in HD):

What are your thoughts?
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: September 03, 2014, 05:34:04 AM »

The name for my game is Galaxia: Remember Tomorrow.

There's at least one game out there already using the name Galaxia, so this might be a problem.
Flynn1179
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: September 15, 2014, 02:46:24 PM »

I had an idea for a game I named 'Libri Duos'. The origin of the name is basically about a game where the player is starting to rebuild a civilization from scratch after it's all but wiped out for some reason, essentially ending one 'history book' and starting a second one- It's latin for 'Book Two', and was inspired by the name of the spreadsheet I was scribbling my thoughts/ideas in, which was called 'Book2.xls' at the time Smiley
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: September 18, 2014, 09:50:09 AM »

I had an idea for a game I named 'Libri Duos'. The origin of the name is basically about a game where the player is starting to rebuild a civilization from scratch after it's all but wiped out for some reason, essentially ending one 'history book' and starting a second one- It's latin for 'Book Two', and was inspired by the name of the spreadsheet I was scribbling my thoughts/ideas in, which was called 'Book2.xls' at the time Smiley

It should be duo, not duos, but I like it.
WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2638 on: September 22, 2014, 12:55:14 PM »

Our game will be an evil mansion management game, where you get to build your mansion, order your creatures around, and kill intruders. But you still have to follow the horror movie killing rules (kill them one by one, do NOT kill the dog, etc) We've been told the title we used for the Ludum Dare ("The Villain's Rules") doesn't sound "right" in english ? and now we can't decide between those other options:

Cruel Rules
Rules of Villainy
How to be a good villain

Or any other suggestions

Thank you

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: September 23, 2014, 12:28:26 AM »

My first impulse was something in combination with "code" or "codex" instead of "rules", because it sounds more internal to me, only the villains know the rules.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 155
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic