Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:52:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGame Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 155
Print
Author Topic: Game Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name  (Read 620106 times)
yotingo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2720 on: February 28, 2015, 09:57:08 PM »

I have been stressing over the name of my game for months, I would love some feedback!

Here is a brief exert that I feel describes it pretty well:

Most people believe ideas are harmless, thoughts are benign. What harm can come from thinking? Read a history book and you will discover every holocaust started with an idea. All the holy wars were fought for a religious belief. Racism and slavery throughout history is developed by a way of thinking. Modern day terrorists act upon nothing more than ideas. Nuclear missiles, bio terrorism, atomic bombs, guns, nothing comes close to the raw destructive power of thought. Ideas are ever changing and immortal. Capable of withstanding any purge or assault. The plague of deadly beliefs spread everyday. They are already upon us. In our homes. In our minds. Will you choose to believe in hope and love or succumb to hatred and destruction? I pray for your well being because the choice may not always be yours.

And the website here: http://believethegame.webs.com/

I'm thinking of naming it Bound by Belief. What do all of you think?

RinseWashrepeat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2721 on: March 03, 2015, 02:43:01 AM »

Trying to come up with a name for a casual NFL-team management game. Like Football Manager but NFL and with a few more off-the-field decisions to make.

Quick pitch. You'll essentially be an owner of a football team, but one who makes draft decisions, calls plays, selects the team, upgrades the stadium, basically makes all of the decisions.

I was thinking of the name 'Hands-On Owner', but not too sure if that doesn't convey the fact it's a football game. How about simply 'Football Owner', 'Team Owner', 'Big-Play Football'?

Really stuck on this.

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: March 03, 2015, 12:12:59 PM »

It's a episodic survival horror, called Extremitas.

Takes places in a mansion where horrible rituals happened. The main mechanics is a fear meter.

Hmm...

Crossroads Manor
Where Fear Dwells

Maybe a bit more about the location and why the player is there would help.
Sergiopsnu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: March 03, 2015, 03:19:07 PM »

It's a episodic survival horror, called Extremitas.

Takes places in a mansion where horrible rituals happened. The main mechanics is a fear meter.

Hmm...

Crossroads Manor
Where Fear Dwells

Maybe a bit more about the location and why the player is there would help.

Thanks!
I don't want to make spoilers haha. The character suffers from migraine and panic attacks since his parents died in a plane crash. He is dreaming often about a mansion where a young woman says "let me in". The mansion seems to be somehow involved in a series of night kidnappings. Everything is linked to a sect that does horrible rituals using mirrors and masks. The player wakes up there - maybe he is still dreaming, maybe he has been kidnapped - and has to find the way out, crossing mirrors that connects two dimensions and avoiding the ghosts of those who were sacrificed.
Terrytheplatypus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: March 03, 2015, 08:08:16 PM »

I like the name Extremitas, I also like how the game looks.
Tryzna
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2725 on: March 04, 2015, 10:55:57 AM »

Hello everyone! I have trouble finding right name for my game. Its top down shooter withs some soft rpg elements and the game is about shooting everything that moves and drops loot, exploring exotic locations on colonized planet neptune, robing, looting and unlocking/hiring new "heroes" player can take on missions. Your crew is after earning more money to unlock even more heroes or purchase docking codes for unlocking new missions against anything that might drop loot.

Gameplay it self is meant to be really fast and players goal is to survive as long as possible, while killing and looting as much as possible. And while at at it during each attempt, player can try to acomplish randomized chain of mission objectives whitch results in spawning boss.

Game is in the state of early prototype and im stuck looking for the name. First work title was "Overkill" but i quickly found out game of this name exists. Then another working title was simple "Death Squad" and while i like the name i dont think its good enought. Right now im considering name "Abyss raiders" and while i like this one as well im still not sure about that either.

The main ingame hub for chosing missions and hiring new squad members is located on huge carrier submarine whitch name is "Leviathan" and while it would have some logic to use name of the craft our heroes use as base of operations i cant come up with better name for the huge sci-fi pirate submarine whitch could serve as a game name as well.

Anyone got idea? Im including a screen for rough idea how the game looks, but its still very early version.

Thanks for anything you might come up with! Wink

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:41:10 PM by Tryzna » Logged
CG_Echo
Level 0

Wannabe-GameDev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2726 on: March 13, 2015, 05:47:49 AM »

As for your game, Tryzna: I really like the name Leviathan. It's memorable and suggests the game has a lot to offer! You might wanna check for duplicate names as well... ;-)

I have already decided that my game is called Coregrounds - but I'll gladly accept feedback! It's a free-to-play indie PVP tower defense game and I like to call it the love child of the tower defense and MOBA genres. I'm also looking for closed beta testers, see my playtesting post for more info.

OMBG
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2727 on: March 15, 2015, 07:10:19 AM »

I have kind of a naming problem for my game as well, but first some thoughts on the previous posts:

RinseWashrepeat: I think having the term "manager" or something similar would be important for you to attract the players that are interested in the manager / simulation genre. NFL would be great too, but it could lead to legal problems (I'm not sure if everybody is allowed to use the NFL brand in their game). How about:

"American Football Manager Complete"
"Football Team Simulator"

These are both a bit generic, but it should get you the attention of possible players instantly. Or maybe combine it with terms from american football:

"Touchdown! Manager"
"Option offense: A football management sim"

Sergiopsnu: I liked how "Extremitas" sounds (something like "going beyond extreme"), but I also had the impression that it is a latin word that has something to do with "extremities". I googled the name "Extremitas" and found that it means "limb" as a medical term, for the direct latin translation I got "area". Do these meanings fit according to the story / setting / theme?

If not it might not be the best name for the game. If you can make the connection to these meanings by something that is happening in your game, I think it would be a very good name.
I could also imagine naming your game just "Let me in" or "Taken at night".

Tryzna: I like the Leviathan as a name for the submarine, but I'm not 100% sure about it being a good name for the game overall. I would prefer "Abyss raiders" as a name for the game. I associate Leviathan with "something coming out of the water" and not with sci-fi / shooting / space. How important is the "hiring" mechanic in the game? If it is a major thing, you could maybe do something with the terms "Hired Guns" or "Mercenaries". If the missons are less centered around a noble cause, but more about killing and looting you could think in the direction of "Marauders", "Scavengers". Maybe together with a year that hints at the future? "Marauders: 2243"

CG_Echo: I really like the name Coregrounds, I'm not a native speaker but when I hear the term "grounds" in association with a video game I always assume that there is some kind of a battle going on in these "grounds". Also you defend the "cores", which are in the title and sound futuristic as well. So when I read "Coregrounds" I get the association that "It's a game set in the future where there is a battle going on around some cores" which meets the theme of your game pretty well, I think.

And now for my problem: I'm currently working on a cartoony 2D Sidescroller for Web / Mobile (click images for larger version):

You are the yellow blowfish, that unfortunately has lost its ability to swim and therefore needs to be catapulted across the level by pulling on its tail and releasing it so it flicks the fish forward. The game starts out simple, but adds in more and more elements and obstacles that you’ll need to overcome.

I did not name the game officially yet, but the best name I came up with so far is "Blowy Fish". I hate and love it at the same time. Hate: The combination of "adjective - animal" is not very creative and automatically makes me think it is another Flappy Bird clone. Love: If you read the name in a mobile game appstore, you can already imagine that it will be some kind of skill-based cartoony game where you control a fish and if that is what you are looking for, you are more likely to take a look.

I surely come up with something more elaborate, for example "Fugu Story" which would be a better name for the name's sake, but not necessarily the best name for putting the game in an app store.

What would you think if you read that name somewhere? Yay or nay? I'm also thankful for any suggestions!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:39:29 AM by OMBG » Logged
cookingsource
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2728 on: March 16, 2015, 09:00:46 AM »

Hi, loved this thread idea so decided to become part of it.

Name: Shaman Beat

Description:
It's a game about discovering the magic of drumming your way out of problems.
You, as a little Shaman, will explore a world full of mistery and rhythm using your magic drums and your observation skills to complete your journey and become one with the spirits of nature

One half of Alquimiaware  @cookingsource
Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2729 on: March 16, 2015, 09:25:10 AM »

Hey guys,
I'm making a quick little game for android, where you shoot enemy space aliens as they come at you from sides. At the start of the game you get a plasma gun from a scientist and right after that Earth is attacked. You stand at a hill and shoot enemies. It will look like you are at the end of the world, the mankind is dying and you are its last hope. Any ideas?

I was thinking something like Last stand, but that is a movie. Maybe something with Captain, as you could be a captain, Captain Hero, but that's a character. Do you have any ideas? Please give me something, I'm desperate!  Wink

Edit: Maybe something like Hero's Peak or Captain's Gun.

at cookingsource:
Looks really cool and I think the name's fitting well with the content of the game.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 02:31:56 PM by Sorsy » Logged

diceyplay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: March 18, 2015, 05:30:34 AM »

Beetz

Here's what it looks like.

fingerman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2731 on: March 24, 2015, 10:02:09 AM »

@cookingsource: Shaman Beat sounds good, have you considered "shaka bum bum"? Well, hello there!

i have done the coding on this game where you jump from platform to platform while the screen keeps scrolling.
there are quite a few games out there in this style, i know (for example drop boy in this forum).
allthough my controls/game mechanic differ, lots of good names "are taken" haha.

the lore: the little devil needs to return to hell, hence he has to jump down the hole.

before i continue too much and get all the assets in order i would like to settle for a name though...

here are two screenshots (right hand side is more recent):

some of my previous attempts:
run down
go to hell
satanic return

so, suggestions much appreciated! Toast Left
Mattie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: March 24, 2015, 11:14:42 AM »

What do you guys think of "Mignon" as a game name? The game is a colourful and happy platformer. The word means 'cute' in French actually. I guess it's kind of hard to pronounce so I'm not sure if it's a good one.

Also, we're trying to come up with a name for our gamedev team at the moment. The best we've invented so far is "Primal Might". Is this name too pretentious and epic to be team's/company's name?

thanks. Panda
mattrified
Level 0

Mattrified Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2733 on: March 27, 2015, 10:53:07 AM »

I'll throw one into the ring, err thread:

CupKick

It's for a dessert-themed fighting game.  That is all I'll say as it's in like the "I woke up at 2 am and wrote this on a napkin" phase (okay, maybe a bit further along than that but close).
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2734 on: March 28, 2015, 12:48:56 AM »

What do you guys think of "Mignon" as a game name? The game is a colourful and happy platformer. The word means 'cute' in French actually. I guess it's kind of hard to pronounce so I'm not sure if it's a good one.

Also, we're trying to come up with a name for our gamedev team at the moment. The best we've invented so far is "Primal Might". Is this name too pretentious and epic to be team's/company's name?

thanks. Panda
Mignon is definitely a good name. I say keep it, imo. Smiley

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Mattie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: March 29, 2015, 07:32:35 AM »

thanks. Panda
Mignon is definitely a good name. I say keep it, imo. Smiley

Thanks for you comment. I guess we'll stick with the name then. : )

Any comments on the possible team name guys?
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2736 on: March 29, 2015, 03:07:47 PM »

You're welcome.  Smiley What's Primal Might in French?

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Mattie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: March 30, 2015, 01:23:30 AM »

You're welcome.  Smiley What's Primal Might in French?

Actually we're not French. We just looked for translations for 'cute' on Google Translator and 'Mignon' came up. :D
ElwinAlice
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: April 01, 2015, 01:57:05 AM »

hey try mine too!

its my game Heavens Below... Its is kind of metroidvania, irritating stick, pacman, moon lander crossbred..
the premise is:
"A journey to the dark deep underwater Abyss, in search of Heaven"

originally i named it microcosmos... but well... there's a game named Microcosm, and also a french film titled microcosmos... so I need a new name but i stuck with this name for now..
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2739 on: April 01, 2015, 10:05:53 PM »

Heavens Below sounds fine as long as you are sure the name isn't taken. It honestly sounds better than Microcosmos, to me.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 155
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic