Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411425 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:35:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGame Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 155
Print
Author Topic: Game Name Clinic - I will rate your game's name  (Read 618406 times)
VirtualHat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2780 on: August 29, 2015, 02:30:10 AM »

I always struggle with names.

My games's called Endurance, it's a party based dungeon crawler with roguelike elements.

Endurance the Game
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2781 on: August 30, 2015, 02:25:34 AM »

Hi, I made a small game for Ludum Dare and I've chosen a name in a hurry. I'm not totally happy with it.
I want to expand the game but also make sure the name fits it nicely.
It's currently called Lil' Drake. you can play it here: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-33/?action=preview&uid=18768
I thought to change it to something like Super Fly Drake... But to be honest I'm not totally happy with it either.
Any suggestion ?

Alzon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: September 02, 2015, 09:49:06 AM »

Hey,

So I'm currently developing a simple platformer for android, windows and linux.

The game is builds on a game I made as part of a game jam over at GameJolt. I am basically taking the original game, refining the existing mechanics, adding new mechanics and game play and turning it into a full title.

During the jam I didn't really have much time to come up with a great name so I came up with the name "Coffee Life", however on reflection this also turns out to be the name of a coffee shop so a name change may be in order.

I'd really like to know what you guys think about it... The games still in development for the most part so I can't post any demos and tbf the game jam game doesn't really do it any justice so here's some screenshots anyhow.(see gif)

The story so far Spoilers
A wealthy Gentleman made his fortune selling coffee Coffee, before long he was the sole supplier of coffee across the world, naturally as his company grew so did his ambitions, he moved into other fields such as artificial intelligence and aerospace. Being truly mad he knew coffee was the way into peoples homes (With the idealism he who controls the coffee controls the world) being a recognizable brand helped him market other products in the home. So basically hes a mad man set on taking over the world. Anyway as part of his research into artificial intelligence he was looking into furthering his grip on society by integrating AI into every day objects in order to make peoples life's easier. Once the products were in everybody's homes he planned to effectively overthrow society. The player is a product of this, in fact the first prototype. One of the first things produced was a coffee mug, being first and foremost the world supplier of coffee it was only natural. However he wasn't happy with the result so asked it be disposed of. The coffee mug is found and fixed up by a wise man who explains the plans of the evil coffee giant and explains how the player must man up and save the world. The stories very lose and the focus is on being short challenging levels split into various worlds... And some cool things I refuse to talk about, sadly.  

Thanks  Coffee

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 03:21:29 AM by Alzon » Logged

Alzon
{VeTeR}
Level 0

The Dark Matter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2783 on: September 20, 2015, 05:37:48 AM »

I'm designing a horror game - exploration combined with run and hide, and a story twist.

The main character is a girl, an urban explorer and journalist that explores old Christian cemetery with old chapel and family tombs. She finds out that beneath the cemetery are ruins of old civilization ritual crypts having approx 3000 years. She also discovers that pure evil lasts for ever...

Idea for name is simple: The Crypt.

Any cons and pros? Smiley

TammiDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: October 23, 2015, 01:44:01 AM »

Instead of The Crypt (it sounds way too general to me) maybe:

Rituals of the Crypt
Everlasting Evil (general but is sounds a lot cooler)
Horrors of the Crypt
{VeTeR}
Level 0

The Dark Matter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2785 on: October 23, 2015, 03:12:01 PM »

rituals spoils there is something older than chrisian religion. horrors are to simple.
i like everlasting evil, it has some mistery in the name but don't says to much. i will work on it and post some results.
thank you for the suggestions!

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2786 on: October 23, 2015, 04:08:02 PM »

Instead of The Crypt (it sounds way too general to me) maybe:

Rituals of the Crypt
Everlasting Evil (general but is sounds a lot cooler)
Horrors of the Crypt

I'm not a fan of these suggestions. They all seem very generic. Just "the crypt" is not great but it's still better. I usually like titles that tie to the plot in a clever way, so it's hard to suggest something without knowing that.

tobloef
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: October 27, 2015, 02:53:41 AM »

I've made a simple puzzle type game about chain reactions. The gameplay is pretty simple but it was more a test of the libGDX framework anyway. The game is called You Only Tap Once and I'm pretty happy with the name. I find it fitting since you only get one tap to clear the level. You can view some screenshots and a better description on the Google Play page.

Tell me what you think of the name Smiley
jeremiah
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2788 on: October 29, 2015, 06:56:22 AM »

For some reason, I am strongly attached to making names that are references to other works, literary or historical. Also, I so hate all these game names that boil down to SUPER DUNGEON OF LEGEND TOWER. Here are some things I have named:

A False Saint, An Honest Rogue - awful I know. It's a wilderness survival game and I wanted to jam "rogue" in there so I mangled together an old quote.

Dumuzid - an abstract dungeon crawler with a light Sumerian theme. "Dumuzid" is the name of ancient Sumerian deity/king who supposedly ruled for 36,000 years.

Golden Krone Hotel - I needed a tower/hotel name and found such a reference in Dracula. Still working on this game, but assume it's too late to change titles.

Games I plan to make in the next few months:

SWOLE - Sort of a QWOPish weightlifting game.

The Only Shadow the Desert Knows - Yup, back to my old habits. This is going to be a roguelike with a focus on time travel mechanics where you go back/forward thousands of years. I wanted to use something from the lesser known version of Ozymandias.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike - dev log
TammiDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: October 29, 2015, 07:08:06 AM »

I've made a simple puzzle type game about chain reactions. The gameplay is pretty simple but it was more a test of the libGDX framework anyway. The game is called You Only Tap Once and I'm pretty happy with the name. I find it fitting since you only get one tap to clear the level. You can view some screenshots and a better description on the Google Play page.

Tell me what you think of the name Smiley
A colleague of mine released a similar game more than half a year ago on iOS. He called it 'pop the dots'. So maybe it's a fun idea to compare the names, what are they going for/ conveying differently.
tylerfunk
Level 0

I make games for fun and games

View Profile
« Reply #2790 on: October 29, 2015, 08:02:45 PM »

It may be wrong to post this here since the games are still just ideas in my head, but here's some games I'm planning to make in my existence:

Metal Deity (a game akin to FTL where you instead control a small mech and earn your way through the ranks to pilot a 'Metal Deity' - practically an impossibly big walking robot with a crew in the thousands. Set in an alternate take on the Cold War era.)

That Sea of Neon (An extremely stylized top down shooter akin to Hotline Miami where the art is entirely white objects with neon outlines. A short story based shooter set around a team of gifted government-run 'super heroes' after they disband. The main character is blind, but sees through a special device (hence the title and graphics.)

The End of Infinity (A single player tactical squad based shooter set after the end of the universe. Takes place in space among the wreckage of what's left. Players try to survive as long as possible and keep their crew and ship patched up by salvaging from other 'abandoned' ships.)

The Soul of Eterna (Zelda-like with pacifist gameplay focused on dodging enemy attacks and having enemies fight each other.)

Derelict (A short exploration game that is about wandering through a vast expanse of snow. Don't want to say much more or it'd five the story away.)

Those are the most pressing ones that come to mind. Thoughts?

MEAD✿W LARK - Metal Deity - That Sea of Neon - Breakvania
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: November 09, 2015, 04:12:01 PM »

Sky Squid

A squid flying using guns.

Seq Breaker

Finding and abusing glitches and breaking the game sequence using them.

Counterintelligence

A top down shooter where your enemies shoot when you do

Canned Turkey
« Reply #2792 on: November 09, 2015, 06:00:15 PM »

Benjamin and the quest for the five magic space balls

Too long?
Pix n chips
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: November 09, 2015, 10:42:07 PM »

We're making a game about a squarechaped room in which you can change the gravity to any of the four room direction. We call it:
"Gravity box"

¿What do you think guys?

Canned Turkey
« Reply #2794 on: November 10, 2015, 01:24:53 PM »

Counterintelligence

A top down shooter where your enemies shoot when you do

Hand Thumbs Up Right
JoeRampage
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: November 10, 2015, 02:05:21 PM »

I will tell you whether or not you should keep the name. If I recommend rejecting the name, I will offer you a better alternative. If I recommend keeping the name, you will win the people's ovation.

Slush Smackdown (http://slushsmackdown.com/) is a coding game where you knockout other players with your code.

We are thinking if this name works ok or if we should change it to something else - what could it be?
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2796 on: November 17, 2015, 01:30:16 PM »

"The Eye in the Dark"

Been making a horror game for a while, been using WEEKENDRPG as a working title for the project, being a side-project that I mostly just work on my free time. One early demo had the generic name "TRAPPED!" slapped on, really not meant to be the games real title, I just needed to call it *something* so I could submit it to a little contest.

Its a top-down horror turn based RPG, with a colorful, cartoony pixel art style. More "spooky" than genuinely "scary" for the most part.
I have been pondering on the game's name for a little bit. I'd like something about an eye, watching.
Problem with "The Eye In The Dark" is that all of the words making it up are simple common words, which is probably bad for having something recognizable or searchable? I dont hate it, but im definitely still looking for something better, something a bit more fresh.
Someone suggested "A wink in the dark", which I like, it does seem more fresh, but it sounds a little too wacky maybe?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 01:38:44 PM by FrankieSmileShow » Logged

Canned Turkey
« Reply #2797 on: November 17, 2015, 01:58:54 PM »

I think Weekend RPG is an original name that mirrors the games "spooky scary" style.
if you're changing the name because people like me think the game looks fun and goofy and you don't want that, I would go with A Wink in the Dark.

RE-POST:

Francis and the quest for the five magic space balls

Too long?
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2798 on: November 17, 2015, 03:02:05 PM »

I never really thought of weekendRPG as an actual title. It makes it sound like Desktop Dungeons, like a description of how you are meant to play the game, as a casual thing. That really doesn't describe the game well, it plays like any other RPG, its even a little more hardcore, with the finite saves.

I do want the game to seem fun and goofy along with the horror yeah, I don't mind this. A Wink In The Dark sounds WACKY tho, doesnt it? Like the game is a parody, a tongue in cheek thing made *about* horror games instead of just being one of them?

About your title, It sounds like the kind of name thats meant to be comically long?
Maybe the titles initials should spell out a shorter word, it could help making the title memorable? And make for an easier-to-search string for people looking for it.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #2799 on: November 17, 2015, 03:12:42 PM »

I think A Wink In The Dark has the perfect mix of "horror genre" and "light mood". If I heard the name before I saw a picture of it, I would imagine something quite like what the game is.

Yeah the title is supposed to be a half joke in itself, like Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. The acronym thing is a good idea, if I come up with a good one I'll use it.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 155
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic