Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 12:50:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoZoo Babies [Finished]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Zoo Babies [Finished]  (Read 45927 times)
adam a
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 01, 2009, 09:52:28 AM »

Zoo Babies

A fun and educational game about animals and IT support at the Zoo.

The game was kind of rushed at the end and poorly planned at the beginning so don't expect too much. There is a fun collect-em-up element, randomly generated box sliding puzzles and animal facts throughout.

Controls are ARROW KEYS and SPACE, and also WASD for the puzzle.

NOTE: Some people have had trouble running the game, after some investigation it seems you need both Visual Studio 2005 and 2008 redistributables.

Download

Extract and run 'joebabies.exe'.

===Original Post===

Hi all,

So this probably seems like a late entry but I have been working on it for a couple of weeks. I was waiting for it to come together a bit more as the idea of the game is still a bit vague. But anyway, this is just a teaser of what might be to come.

The game is tentatively titled Zoo Babies and involves you teaching animals at the zoo to use their new computers. You've just got a job as IT support and need to help them theme their MySpace pages and create Zwinkys. Cool stuff like that. But essentially the game play will involve giving the animals simple instructions eg "go forward, turn right when you hit a wall" or "take five paces, jump and turn around". And they have to pick up pieces of the internet which fell from the sky and get them back to you. It might be reminiscent of Chu Chu Rocket, and will probably be grid based.

As you can probably see there's still a substantial amount of stuff to get done, but I have a screenshot.

There are a couple of other guys helping out who are on the forum, they might pipe up at some point.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 03:32:03 PM by adam a » Logged

adam a
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 02:01:15 PM »

Progress is being made. Currently I am trying to get transparent polygons for water. I managed to make everything transparent except the water.  Sad

Oh dear

jimmykane
Level 0

100% jimmykane, all the time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 05:13:22 PM »

How did the zoo get so many gorillas, and how did they get so big?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 05:40:21 PM by jimmykane » Logged

www.chairmanwow.net/jaf - Exciting radio show, if you're excited about Edinburgh?
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 05:58:13 AM »

I approve of the pixellated polystyrene cut-out gorillas! Really interesting concept, too; I look forward to trying it out!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
adam a
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 06:13:49 PM »

"New Screenshot" or "This Is What Happens When You Don't Coordinate Your Artists".

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 10:20:21 PM »

Jesus that screenshot really made me laugh. Corny Laugh
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 04:26:56 AM »

This looks awesome

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
v21
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 08:02:17 AM »

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 12:19:01 PM »

"New Screenshot" or "This Is What Happens When You Don't Coordinate Your Artists".
I really like the haphazard graphical style.  I suppose since it includes so many different styles, it all seems coherent, somehow.

Looks fun!

v21
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 08:10:55 PM »

Yes, yes, sleep. This was a classic unfocused entry. We did some good stuff, but the extent it made for a good *game* is questionable...
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 11:07:23 AM »

This didn't work for me; clicked the executable and got an error message:
Code:
The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.  Please see the application event log for more detail.

I indeed extracted properly, and am running Vista on a laptop with a pretty low-rate graphics card.

adam a
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 11:33:39 AM »

oh dear. We weren't able to test it on vista, it's probably some thing going on there. I'll have a look and see if there are any obvious xp to vista problems we didn't account for. In the meantime I don't suppose you can find the application event log it talks about. That may contain clues.

increpare
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 11:45:08 AM »

crashed for me when i tried to leave the monkey level.

also: do you have some debug keybindings still there?

also: turning on the first stage is, for me, excruciating.  is this intentional?
adam a
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 12:01:05 PM »

Thanks for playing the game, in answer to you questions:

When you have completed the monkey puzzle he offers you three choices. "Yes" gives you a new puzzle, "No" exits the game (this is badly labeled) and "I need to go speak to mortimer" takes you back to the first bit. I suspect you picked "no" and weren't expecting it to exit, if that's not what happened then let me know.

Debug keys: not really, you can press 'a' on the first level to go straight to a puzzle and you can also press space in the puzzle to whistle and call the gorilla towards you. That was part of a bit of a u-turn we did late on regarding the puzzle controls.

And turning: in what way excruciating? Slow, jumpy? If it's jumpy then that's just because the game is a bit slow and there's more going on in the first stage. If it's slow then that's just the speed we set it, not especially 'intentional' but the turn speed should be the same for everyone.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 12:02:51 PM »

I found the application event log using Event Viewer.  Here is the message that pertained to this game:

And, under the tab "Details":

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 04:47:49 PM by Theta » Logged

increpare
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 12:19:13 PM »

When you have completed the monkey puzzle he offers you three choices. "Yes" gives you a new puzzle, "No" exits the game (this is badly labeled) and "I need to go speak to mortimer" takes you back to the first bit. I suspect you picked "no" and weren't expecting it to exit, if that's not what happened then let me know.
Well i got visual studio popping up and asking me if i wanted to debug...

And turning: in what way excruciating? Slow,
Yep, very slow.  This is a reasonably good PC, fwiw.
adam a
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 12:46:42 PM »

@Theta, thanks for posting those. I will see if I can find anything that might help.

@increpare, Ok, that sounds bad. Can you describe what you did to get it to crash? Also, the turning thing sounds odd, it shouldn't matter about the speed of your computer. Hmmm, is anything else slow, like the movement of the tortoises, and is it just the first stage?

Thanks both of you for bearing with me, it seems the game is not quite ready for mass consumption.  Smiley

increpare
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 12:59:41 PM »

it takes about 4 seconds to turn 180 degrees; is that slow to you? i dunno, maybe it's not, but trying to chase the tortoises was horrible.

not sure how to get it to duplicate the crash...
adam a
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 01:34:42 PM »

Ok, the slow turning bug I think is just 'poor design'. It's the same speed on my computer. As for the crash, if it comes up again then try and note down the steps you went through to get it. But I wouldn't worry overly.

adam a
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 03:37:27 PM »

@Theta: I tried the game on a fresh XP install and came up with the XP equivalent of the error you had (I think). After some trial and error I got the game to work after installing the MS Visual Studio 2005 and 2008 redistributables. See the first post, I have updated it with links to those packages.

Hopefully this will solve your problem (hopefully). I was pretty bemused as the game doesn't use any Visual Studio whatever-it-is that it seems to now need. It was written on Linux for chrissakes.

Anyway, let me know if that helps.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic