Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:41:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTin Can Knight
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Tin Can Knight  (Read 28578 times)
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: August 02, 2009, 02:39:50 PM »

The Tin Can Knight is very small. The Tin Can Knight is very ferocious. Is the Tin Can Knight ferocious enough to defeat his dastardly foes, the Purple Goblins*?

Features:
  • Jump your faithful steed over deadly boulders!
  • Leap over fireballs!
  • Joust with fell beasts!

*Color subject to change
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:14:39 PM by Sparky » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 02:46:51 PM »

Yeah! A new game from you. I remember seeing the art, and the pixel art! This sounds really fun.
BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 02:52:04 PM »

Awesome.  Love the colors and the pixelly Knights/Steads.  Most importantly, it looks like fun.

Smiley
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 02:59:53 PM »

It's nice to work on something tiny and ridiculous after doing Star Guard for so long. Here's an early screenshot. The knight and horse jumping work, as well as boulders and projectiles. Next up comes some wonky segmented horse animation and a round of tuning.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 03:15:27 PM »

Sparky, you are quickly becoming my new indie dev to watch.  You got style man.   My Word!

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 06:33:19 PM »

Hmm, this is turning out to be a nice day for indie games. First Q-Lat 3, now a new game from you (Sparky)! About K-nights!

Loving those lo-fi looks and delicate colours. And the potential of jousting sounds pretty sweet. Totally looking forward to this one. I'll be happy to Beta Test if you need me! Smiley

It's nice to work on something tiny and ridiculous after doing Star Guard for so long.

So, this is going to be a smaller game, I take it? Cools.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 05:38:23 PM »

So, this is going to be a smaller game, I take it? Cools.
Yeah, I'm trying to keep this one tiny. Things are going pretty quickly. Most of the game objects are working, there's sound in the game now, and I'm starting in on level design.

Goblins are notorious for stealing other people's hats. Purple goblins are partial to hats of a martial flavor. It has been conjectured that this stems from a desire to compensate for a certain deep seated racial insecurity. Being purple has not been easy on the species.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 05:44:58 PM »

I like the slight tinge of humor the biography has, without being outright humor.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 11:56:19 PM »

Here's a video! This is a super funky pre alpha version, so there's quite a bit of animation and general polish missing.

I really want the combat to be fun, so I'm testing a few different systems. As always, random flashes of inspiration, well intentioned rambling, and feedback are quite welcome.

Momentum Based Jousting
Our little knight acellerates slowly, but needs to be at maximum speed to defeat a mounted opponent. There's a little indicator sound + animation to tell us when we're safe to attack opponents. When we attack an mounted target, we unhorse our opponent (yay) but we lose a little momentum. Sometimes it's a good idea to dodge opponents instead of attacking.

Different Attack Varieties
There are a few different enemy attack types- lance attacks at different heights, or different weapons. Each requires a specific response. Defeating opponents is a matter of making the corect response quickly enough.

Timing
Our knight has one simple attack type which lasts for a brief moment. Defeating opponents is just a matter of attacking at the right instant. (The game currently uses this system. If this ends up in the final game, the knight might get a sword instead of a lance.)
undertech
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 12:01:43 AM »

I love the gallop animation!
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 01:13:35 AM »

I think the varying attack category would be the coolest. Like in Zelda 2, but more extensively: you could do high and low attacks by crouching/standing up, and your shield moved with you, and the enemies did the same, so the proper way to fight was to attack the enemy where it didn't have it's shield, and prevent taking damage by putting your shield in the way of the enemy's sword. It worked quite nicely, I think.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 10:22:33 AM »

Hemuli's idea is quite nice, and so is yours, Sparky. You are quite the talented person!
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 12:53:23 PM »

Like undertech, I love the horse's animation. The whole look of the game is great, with the sort of minimalistic pixel art and the faded background objects/people. I also like how you incorporated the tutorial into the world in a subtle way.

What Hempuli said about having various attack heights sounds good but I'm not sure that would work in a jousting context. I guess you could aim at enemies' heads or torsos? I don't know, but I like the idea.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 01:38:26 PM »

Thanks, Inane. Embarrassed

Hempuli-
Oh, I didn't know Zelda 2 had attack heights. Watches video.
That looks pretty neat. I really should play that game.

I think your suggestion is good. The momentum system sounds appealing, but I think it would be a bit problematic because it wouldn't always be clear how close we are to travelling fast enough.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 01:42:43 PM »

Thanks, Inane. Embarrassed

This here is Inanimate. Common mistake.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 08:36:42 PM »

Oh, sorry Inanimate! Actually earlier today I was wondering, "I didn't type Inane by accident, did I?" But I see I did...

Hats are in! Each goblin has a randomly assigned piece of headwear, which does absolutely nothing.

Today I made a magical goblin who flies on a cloud and attacks with fireballs. I originally considered a robe or a wizard outfit, but the fancy turban seemed like the way to go. His legs look weird because he was originally riding a horse, and I haven't fixed them yet. Smiley

I'm not quite sure where to go with the combat system yet. I guess it's time to be decisive. But instead, I coded bitmap font rendering with variable character width:
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 10:23:12 AM »

Keep it up!

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 11:25:08 PM »

ChevyRay
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 11:29:41 PM »

This looks great! Your background trees are very cool. I look forward to playing this <3
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 11:49:35 PM »

woah, those trees do look cool.

this game is getting better and better :]

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic