Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:24:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoGluten-free [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gluten-free [FINISHED]  (Read 7788 times)
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: August 08, 2009, 06:53:22 AM »

I had an idea for an educational puzzle game about the small scale interactions and structures involved with baking bread. I though that the prototype I had for the initial, mixing stage, before the gluten strands develop, was entertaining enough to be made into a minigame. I like how it starts as a game about fast mixing, then turns into a puzzle to get the last pieces.

gluten-free

• A tiny game about cooking
  • As fast and addictive as your morning breakfast cereal
  • Play online here
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 10:06:35 AM by Pishtaco » Logged

SteGriff
Level 0

SƟ3:UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 07:48:01 AM »

I enjoyed it to the extent possible Smiley
I didn't finish though, because by the time you have about 8 flour left, it gets a little dull. I didn't see the educational aspect either, but I guess that's because you had to strip the concept down a lot from what you wanted to start with.
It was nicely executed, and had the right feel.

Good work :D

I wanna make robots.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 10:24:06 AM »

I enjoyed it to the extent possible Smiley
I didn't finish though, because by the time you have about 8 flour left, it gets a little dull. I didn't see the educational aspect either, but I guess that's because you had to strip the concept down a lot from what you wanted to start with.
It was nicely executed, and had the right feel.

Good work :D
Yeah, I had a lot of ideas for themes for this competition, but had trouble coming up with mechanics that would work. So when time was running out I thought I should just go with polishing what I had, and at least learn something about Flash.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 02:08:44 PM »

Nice little puzzle game!  I think it suffers a bit from being too long; as others have said, once you near the end, it gets a little boring.  Just as a suggestion, the playing field could probably be smaller (maybe originally 8 x 6 or something), and the square tool used to switch stuff around could also be smaller (maybe 3 x 3 or 2 x 2).  Then the game could be more strategic decisions, and less about randomly moving stuff around until it works.  Maybe, as opposed to a timer, you could have a limited number of moves to complete the puzzle.

In general, however, the game was clean, not overly complex, and definitely stimulated thought.

Kingel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 02:30:02 PM »

I thought only allowing water and flower to mix if the water is on top of the flour was a bit counter-intuitive. It might help speed it up a bit towards the end as well if contact is the only requirement.

At first, I thought I had a move limit to worry about before I realized it was just the number of flour tiles left. Maybe that would be an idea, though? It would mean you'd have to stop and think for a bit instead of just clicking randomly. It could also mean less of a pace change at the end if the overall pace is a bit slower.

Otherwise, I thought it was surprisingly fun for a game about mixing dough. I also like the simple graphics, especially the crazy water. Hand Thumbs Up LeftSmiley

increpare
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 01:34:15 PM »

Just had a look at this now.  It worked pretty well/drat i can't remember my time.  AH WELL. 
erdtirdmans
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 12:54:52 AM »

There is a lot of potential in this.  Sadly, I can't place my finger on what's missing.

It was plenty of fun while it lasted though. Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic