Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:09:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWe Want YOU @ wewantyou.quicksandgames.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: We Want YOU @ wewantyou.quicksandgames.com  (Read 25614 times)
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« on: August 08, 2009, 08:56:37 PM »

This is an old version of the game. Check out the announcement thread for the new version:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8827.msg277778#msg277778

We Want YOU Build 3.01 by Quicksand Games - Latest Update August 30, 2009

My dev partner (Quicksand-S) and I are very excited to present our first Game Maker game for public consumption Beer!, now in its explosive third version.

The world of We Want YOU is procedurally generated on the fly as you play. Your goal is to survive as long as you can in the fight for Justice and Freedom, all the while receiving important news from the home front. Make your country proud!

BACK-OF-THE-BOX FEATURES:
- Addictive combat action!
- Procedural world- never the same game twice!
- Three special weapons, plus two BONUS weapons!
- All original, atmospheric soundtrack!

BUILD 3 ADDITIONS: 
- Special, interactive ground types!
- Three new stages!
- New defensive equipment!

For Build 3 we also tweaked the enemy spawning and difficulty, as well as lowering the shotgun volume, and various other tweaks and bug fixes.

Once again, we're looking for bugs, as well as general feedback. When commenting please tell us how far you got (by year). Thanks for playing!

BUILD 2 ADDITIONS:
- New, more dynamic "Runner" enemies!
- Expanded storyline and environments!
- Switch between main weapon and one special weapon. Strategic!
- Opening scene surprises!
- Year in Review and new death screen. What is YOUR legacy?

Build 2 also added pressing down to go through holes and fixed the flamethrower sound glitch, as well as a billion other little additions (muzzle flashes!) and balancing (less frustrating gameplay!).

DOWNLOAD AND JOIN THE FIGHT Hand Joystick:
See http://wewantyou.quicksandgames.com/
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 08:09:42 AM by Quicksand-T » Logged

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 03:35:45 AM »

Excellent! Fun and satirical. The headlines made me laugh pretty consistently. The in-character readme is also great.

(BTW when I first went into a medical(?) tent the scream made me think I might have raped a refugee. I'm not sure whether I want confirmation of this....)

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 09:12:21 AM »

great concept, but the gameplay is still a bit boring. nice presentation and all, looking forward to more games

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 09:46:41 AM »

I've played this a few times now and I like it! Good theming and visual style. I think its main drawback right now is a lack of dynamism. Some specifics:

* enemies don't seem to move from their platform. I don't know if you've played Soldat...I'm not saying it has to be that crazy but borrowing some of the enemy movement from that game would help I think.

* as a corollary to this your guy's jump/move speed could be a little faster I think, maybe 25-33% faster?

* the headlines are great but to me are displayed in a weird place and in a typeface that doesn't really mesh with the visual style of the rest of the game. I guess the first issue has to do with a game that scrolls down a lot, since putting it at the top would lose it....maybe a separate banner pane at the top with a scrolling/teletype style headline in a more blocky typeface?

* agreed about the medic tent...I too thought I was doing some war crimes there (didn't read the readme first)! Which...I hate to say it...sort of works in the concept of the game but probably not what you were going for.

Finally let me just say the flamethrower is crazy ACE.  :D

SteGriff
Level 0

SƟ3:UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 10:21:08 AM »

I played through about 10 long games. I enjoyed this a lot.

There is 1, very easily implementable thing that would improve the game experience: rank stripes. You get a stripe (colour dependant on what type of unit you killed) for each enemy you kill. I'd get a feeling of acheivement then.

If you press A to go from obtained weapon to handgun, you can't change back again.

If direct audio fails to start (which it does for me because my sound card is broken) the user has to turn music and sound if in config, otherwise the game hangs at the first game screen.

Thanks for the game Smiley
Great work.

I wanna make robots.
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 10:48:45 AM »

Without overexplaining the joke, the medical tent thing is intentional.

We originally had a white flash with a peaceful whooshing noise. But then I imagined running around on a foreign battlefield, breaking into enemy tents and injecting myself with strange medicines to stay alive for a few more minutes...Not so peaceful.  Wink

The headlines are intentionally dissonant with the rest of the game world, but we'll think about changing the font.

I played through about 10 long games. I enjoyed this a lot.

Glad you liked it!

How far did you get? Without spoiling anything, did you get to see any of the late-game elements? (if you saw them you'd know)

There is 1, very easily implementable thing that would improve the game experience: rank stripes. You get a stripe (colour dependant on what type of unit you killed) for each enemy you kill. I'd get a feeling of acheivement then.

Did you notice that some of the headlines tell you how far you've gotten and how many kills you have?

In the next version we're planning on having a "Year in Review" headline after every few areas to summarize your progress. What do you think of that idea?

Thanks for the comments guys, keep 'em coming.

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 11:47:55 AM »

This is the best game I've played in a looong time!  Tears of Joy
I can't stop playing! Crazy

Only thing I want added, though, is some sort of score list/kill-count...Prettyprettyplease? Tongue
havchr
Level 2

gaming, coding, experimenting photo science party

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 05:45:31 PM »

I love the social commentary theme of this game.
The gameplay feels a bit rough around the edges though. Maybe there's some cool events to be had if I play/survice longer though.

Pizza is delicious.
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 06:06:03 PM »

I feel like the shotgun just doesn't live up the the coolness that the minigun and flamethrower give. It's just too simple compared to those, and doesn't even let you aim!
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 06:24:10 PM »

I've played this a few times now and I like it! Good theming and visual style. I think its main drawback right now is a lack of dynamism. Some specifics:

* enemies don't seem to move from their platform. I don't know if you've played Soldat...I'm not saying it has to be that crazy but borrowing some of the enemy movement from that game would help I think.

* as a corollary to this your guy's jump/move speed could be a little faster I think, maybe 25-33% faster?

Finally let me just say the flamethrower is crazy ACE.  :D

Always nice to get positive comments. The fairly-specific suggestions are good too. Thanks. Quicksand-T replied to the headline and medic-tent stuff already, but I'll respond to the other things you said.

The slow speed is intentional. Despite appearances, this isn't really an action game. I'm sure there are games I could compare it to, but I can't think of anything at the moment. Endless Metal Gear Solid without cutscenes? Not quite, but that's the best I can come up with right now. It's meant to be the sort of game where if you try to rush, you get slaughtered. Of course, it's not really that hard right now but it does get trickier the deeper you get. Anyway, I'll do some experiments with the speed to see if faster movement improves things.

The AI stuff you mentioned sounds good. I've actually worked on a couple of games with really good AI that I'm hoping to release under the Quicksand name at some point. For this game, I don't think I'll ever do anything really advanced. I have modified the code slightly, though, to allow enemies to move around more. That'll be in the next release.

I love the flamethrower too. Have you tried getting burning enemies to run into other ones?  Wink

This is the best game I've played in a looong time!  Tears of Joy
I can't stop playing! Crazy

Only thing I want added, though, is some sort of score list/kill-count...Prettyprettyplease? Tongue

That's a great compliment. Glad you're enjoying it. As for the kill-count, there are certain headlines that tell you how many kills you have, but they have the same chance of showing up as the other ones. As Quicksand-T said above, we're planning on adding a "Year in Review" headline after every group of four "seasons", where you'll get to find out just how you did in terms of kills, etc.

I love the social commentary theme of this game.
The gameplay feels a bit rough around the edges though. Maybe there's some cool events to be had if I play/survice longer though.

Glad you like it. Which parts felt rough around the edges? There are a few things that only show up later in the game, but we might be able to add some more. Got any suggestions?

I feel like the shotgun just doesn't live up the the coolness that the minigun and flamethrower give. It's just too simple compared to those, and doesn't even let you aim!

I agree. The shotgun isn't as good as it could be. If you notice, when you're hit by a shotgun blast you get pushed backward. Enemies die too quickly for it to show with them. As for aiming...I guess I could try it, but I kind of like having the shotgun as more of a "run-and-gun" weapon. Might need more ammo, though. How did you feel about the eight shot limit?

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 06:51:52 PM »

8 shots seemed just about right.
Also, since most of the weapons have analog aiming anyway, have you considered using the mouse to aim as an alternate control scheme?
You could hide the cursor and keep the 45 degree restriction so that the sniper remains the only accurate weapon for long-range.
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 06:58:57 PM »

Liked it quite a bit.

My main complaint is with the minigun, actually. Why is it that a single bullet from a tiny pistol can do more than a hail of bullets from that huge gun. It feels like you're trying to use a nerf minigun to kill people.

And, yes, as was said before, a bit more agility on the player and some more active enemies would be very cool.

It's fun, though. Keep it up!
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »

8 shots seemed just about right.
Also, since most of the weapons have analog aiming anyway, have you considered using the mouse to aim as an alternate control scheme?
You could hide the cursor and keep the 45 degree restriction so that the sniper remains the only accurate weapon for long-range.

My main reason for not using the mouse for aiming is that I've never really liked that sort of control scheme for 2D platformers. I'm not against using it, but it doesn't always fit. Without getting into too much detail, I'll just say it would require a lot of gameplay changes and alter the feel of the game too much.

Mainly I'm just an old-school sort of game-designer, I guess. I grew up playing DOS platformers on a keyboard, and I still prefer that control method. Maybe we'll have to consider mouse+keyboard control for one of our future games, though.

Liked it quite a bit.

My main complaint is with the minigun, actually. Why is it that a single bullet from a tiny pistol can do more than a hail of bullets from that huge gun. It feels like you're trying to use a nerf minigun to kill people.

And, yes, as was said before, a bit more agility on the player and some more active enemies would be very cool.

It's fun, though. Keep it up!

Yeah...the minigun. I've been thinking about that too. This is one of those cases where we wanted things to be entertaining rather than realistic. If the minigun kills enemies too quickly, you don't really get to see them get pushed back or fly in the air with blood spraying off of them. I could make the pistol weaker, but...I don't think it would be fun, being stuck with a weak gun for most of the game. Right now, I actually think I enjoy the pistol more than the other weapons. It's the only one that requires any skill to use, and I love trying to take out enemies while I'm falling at high-speed.

Maybe we should have some enemies be armored? That way those ones would show off the minigun-tearing-into-them thing and take more pistol shots to kill, while normal enemies would be destroyed by both weapons.

While I'm on the subject, does anyone have any weapon (or enemy) suggestions? I'd like to add a little more variety, but we're trying to keep the weapons and enemies based mostly on reality (except for one exception so far).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 07:30:30 PM by Quicksand-S » Logged

FishyBoy
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 07:35:04 PM »

Melee weapons would be cool. It is my personal experience that a chainsaw can almost always make a game better.
SteGriff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 07:46:22 AM »

I noticed the "One soldier takes on x enemies" headlines, and thought that they were a satire: an gradually increasing number which exaggerates the successes of the army's efforts. I think I saw some of the later developments in the game of which you speak.

A question: How do I use the flamethrower? When I press X I get a crosshair but no fire. Perhaps it's my graphics setup?

I wanna make robots.
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 08:00:27 AM »

Melee weapons would be cool. It is my personal experience that a chainsaw can almost always make a game better.

I agree Evil Grenades instead of just drop-bombs would also be a nice addition Hand Thumbs Up Right
And while we're at it I'd like to mention that I really like that you can blow away blocks with the bomb, and I think it would be cool to take this further by adding weapons/tools that can destroy blocks (I know you have the rocket-launcher but it's not exactly easy to perform "surgical strikes" with it Wink)

Also, the ability to carry two weapons (one hand-gun/small tool plus a "heavy" weapon like a rifle or machine gun) at the same time would make it easier to customize and try out different approaches at playing the game Gentleman

Lastly, I just have to say that I TOTALLY AGREE with you that the game SHOULD NOT be controlled by mouse, NOT FOR ANYTHING!  Outraged
SteGriff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 12:27:05 PM »

I think a lot of these suggestions are long term to implement. In the short term, there are things that could be done quickly and easily to make the game more fun.

I'd like to know my depth into the level, a highscore, if you will. I imagine that that is a variable already in the code: a simple readout could be added.

Some of the background text, or some sort of readout at the top of the screen could give a pretend contact stream with base, seeing as, though you are supposed to be a man of the army, it feels more like a special ops mission. Things like "We need you in deeper. Keep going, soldier, and take down every scumbag along the way" and "Injured, soldier? Suck it up and get on with the mission, pussy!"

I'd like to be able to place 2 C4 at a time, too.

Loving it.

I wanna make robots.
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 01:15:12 PM »

Hm yea, come to think of it, since the gameplay isn't so fast paced, mouse aiming wouldn't quite fit.

Also the worms series has plenty of weapons for you to get inspiration from. I personally would love the grenade (or banana bomb!).
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 02:26:07 PM »

A question: How do I use the flamethrower? When I press X I get a crosshair but no fire. Perhaps it's my graphics setup?

Is that always the case, or does it work sporadically? It's always worked fine for me, and we haven't gotten any other complaints like this. Strange.

...I think it would be cool to take this further by adding weapons/tools that can destroy blocks (I know you have the rocket-launcher but it's not exactly easy to perform "surgical strikes" with it Wink)

Also, the ability to carry two weapons (one hand-gun/small tool plus a "heavy" weapon like a rifle or machine gun) at the same time would make it easier to customize and try out different approaches at playing the game Gentleman

I thought of a great weapon for "surgical strikes" against blocks, but it doesn't really fit in with the more realistic weapons...so I'm not sure if it'll actually make it into the game or not.

The non-pistol weapons were meant to be used up (just adding some variety and letting people fool around a bit) and then discarded. If you've played Duke Nukem 2, for example, you can pick up weapons but you just use them until they run out. No switching (not even discarding), so it works just to spice things up a little. That was our inspiration.

Still, we could probably the ability...except that you don't have an ammo count (and we likely won't be adding one). How would you feel, switching back to your flamethrower only to see it make one tiny flame and then give out?

I'd like to know my depth into the level, a highscore, if you will. I imagine that that is a variable already in the code: a simple readout could be added.

I'd like to be able to place 2 C4 at a time, too.

While you're right that it wouldn't be hard to give you a depth readout, I'm pretty sure we won't be adding any HUD elements (I guess that's a response to your communication-with-the-base idea too). There will be, however, that "Year in Review" section that I mentioned earlier. In addition to giving you a kill count, it will show the year you've reached. Hmm...maybe we can add that to the death screen too...

I'm curious...what are you using the C4 for? It's really only there to allow you to get out of pits if there's no other way out. The intention was to keep people from relying on it too much by limiting it to one at a time and giving it a fairly long timer.

FishyBoy
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 05:23:43 PM »

For level info, how about a button you press to listen to a small hand held radio, or something? It would play a report about how far the player's gone, how many people he's killed, etc., without breaking the immersion with a big clunky HUD.

And, yeah, some ways to cause more damage to the terrain would be cool. Bomb powerups?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic