Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:20:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallDead Panic - a strategic zombie shooter - is out! (iPhone)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dead Panic - a strategic zombie shooter - is out! (iPhone)  (Read 6903 times)
smasher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 14, 2009, 10:34:03 AM »

Hello, I'm Sean Maher, an independent iPhone game developer. My strategic zombie shooter, "Dead Panic" , has been approved by Apple and is available now!

I have some exclusive screen shots, not displayed on the Dead Panic web site:

Dead Panic has a 13-level campaign with a sci-fi storyline, instant loading/saving for quick games, iPod integration, and a full soundtrack. If you like the atmosphere of Half-Life 2 and STALKER, you'll enjoy this game. If you like popping zombies in the head with a sniper rifle, you'll like this game. It's getting a lot of attention on other forums so I know that people are enjoying it, I hope you do too!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 11:11:42 PM by smasher » Logged

Kekskiller
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »

I wish I had an iPhone Sad

Is there a video of it or somewhat? Would like to see it before talking about stuff I don't know.
smasher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 10:30:41 AM »

I wish I had an iPhone Sad

Is there a video of it or somewhat? Would like to see it before talking about stuff I don't know.

Your wish is my command:

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 10:41:27 AM by smasher » Logged

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 06:46:29 AM »

Great idea for an iPhone game!
Anti-zombie strategy on the go, I'd buy that if I had an iPhone.

Man, zombies never get old   Beer! Hand Metal Right

Good luck!

Working on HeliBrawl
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 08:35:56 AM »

uhm... looking at the trailer there are some inconsistencies with the graphics... like cars being smaller than the soldiers and stuff like that, also at least a death animation for the zombies would be nice (maybe with gory pots of blood).
Besides that, looks like a fun an well crafted game! congrats

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 10:05:37 AM »

hey, congrats on the approval and good luck with the sales! Gentleman also, loved the low-budget gamedev post on your blog (and the twist was the cherry on the cake;)).

/btw, I'll be a noob, but what's the 'iPod integration' feature, as mentioned in the trailer?/

smasher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 02:03:50 PM »

hey, congrats on the approval and good luck with the sales! Gentleman also, loved the low-budget gamedev post on your blog (and the twist was the cherry on the cake;)).

/btw, I'll be a noob, but what's the 'iPod integration' feature, as mentioned in the trailer?/

Thanks - I promise to post more, it won't be the typical one-post blog. Smiley

The 'iPod integration' is just a fancy way to say you can play my music or your own during the game. It may not sounds like much, but a surprising number of games will mute your iPod music when you start, or won't allow you to start your iPod music while the game is running. It took an extra two days to sort this out (iPhone sound sessions aren't as easy as Apple makes them out to be) but I think it's worth it.

DrEnzyme
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 03:48:33 PM »

Hey! I'm sorry, but this has been bugging me... Do you ever get confused with Sean Maher from firefly?

On another note, I liked the trailer for Dead Panic, it looks pretty cool! I really liked the music in the trailer.

"Prepare to meet your maker, wall!"
beddoe
TIGBaby

Commando Crawl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 06:02:33 PM »

Hey I've got a couple of questions, I want to get into making some game apps with the iphone.(I've gotten as far as a design document, and some classroom hours studying Obj-C.)So here's a bunch of questions.
1. Did you code this in Objective-C, C or other language?
2. How long did it take to code(duration/hours?) and/or how long after the first level did it take you to finish it?
3. Did you use a commercial engine to do this, or would you recommend one for 2d graphics?
4. What books if any would you recommend for an iphone game programmer?
Thanks.
smasher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 10:03:37 AM »

Hey! I'm sorry, but this has been bugging me... Do you ever get confused with Sean Maher from firefly?

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the trailer.

I'm not the same Sean Maher, nor ever been mistaken in public - only on the internet. I was the top "Sean Maher" in Google until he came along, blast it!

smasher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 10:15:39 AM »

Hey I've got a couple of questions, I want to get into making some game apps with the iphone.(I've gotten as far as a design document, and some classroom hours studying Obj-C.)So here's a bunch of questions.
1. Did you code this in Objective-C, C or other language?
Objective-C, with some C required for the OpenGL stuff. Many people suggest C++ for speed, but I already had a background in C from some palm OS work and some PC work in the distant past. I didn't want to learn two new languages, so I stayed with learning Obj-C and have not regretted it.

2. How long did it take to code(duration/hours?) and/or how long after the first level did it take you to finish it?

It took about 6 months of working 6-12 hours a day, not counting weekends. The first level was playable three months ago - even with programming mostly complete you'd be surprised how much time art, animation, sound, further level design, and balancing takes.

3. Did you use a commercial engine to do this, or would you recommend one for 2d graphics?
Custom engine. If I started today I would probably use Cocos2D for this project - it was fun to learn OpenGL, but I spent a lot of time fiddling with pointers to arrays of vertices. I could have spent that time adding gameplay features instead.

4. What books if any would you recommend for an iphone game programmer?

I don't have any game-specific books, and no iPhone books were out when I started. I read the Hillegass Cocoa book (v2, since v3 was not out), The C book from K&R, and the OpenGL programming guide, along with many tutorials and messageboards. I list that stuff in my second blog post:
How to make your first game for less than $1,000

smasher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 12:56:51 PM »

"Dead Panic" has been featured on the front page of the European app store under in the "New and Noteworthy" section.

To celebrate this achievement, I'm putting "Dead Panic" on sale for 99 cents!

The price will return to $1.99 as soon as the feature is over, so act fast!

Constance
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 12:49:55 PM »

Really cool looking game. The screenshots look great. Unfortunately, I do not have an iphone...
Vagabond
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 07:41:33 AM »

You made it to pocket gamer.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Dead+Panic/review.asp?c=15354
smasher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 11:13:22 PM »

The next version of "Dead Panic" is now available!

"Dead Panic: Survival" adds:
* An infinite "survival" mode
* Four new maps
* Two new weapon types
* A money/upgrade system
* Multi-touch controls
* OpenFeint challenges and achievements
* High scores
* Upgraded sound and graphics
* Force feedback!

If you liked the original game, there is now more to love! If the original campaign was too slow, you will thoroughly enjoy the new survival mode.

"Dead Panic:Survival" is available now.

smasher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 09:09:13 PM »

Dead Panic is on sale for 99 cents until Monday- Happy Holidays all!

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=326092201&mt=8

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic