Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:49:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoAdult/Educational Compo: Voting!
Poll
Question: Vote for your 3 favorites!  (Voting closed: August 28, 2009, 04:06:07 PM)
Action Sight Reading Tutor - 3 (0.7%)
Adult Checksum Corrupt - 3 (0.7%)
A Sexual Safari - 10 (2.5%)
Back Door Man - 70 (17.2%)
Blind Date - 1 (0.2%)
Cockroaches Evolution RUN! - 3 (0.7%)
Coitus! - 4 (1%)
Cucumber Bringing Anusssucker - 1 (0.2%)
Dildo Tank the First Squirt - 13 (3.2%)
Edmund - 72 (17.7%)
Gluten Free - 0 (0%)
Highway Temptation - 3 (0.7%)
I HAVE CANDY GET IN THE VAN - 47 (11.5%)
I Love you 2 - 22 (5.4%)
Iraq - 5 (1.2%)
Jirosum - 33 (8.1%)
Linee - 0 (0%)
Manfred Mansfield and the Invasion of the Alien Men - 12 (2.9%)
Mr. Jones' Dream - 26 (6.4%)
Nature - 2 (0.5%)
Naturist Vocabulary College! - 1 (0.2%)
Real Time Evolution - 2 (0.5%)
Sheets - 11 (2.7%)
Silent Conversation - 10 (2.5%)
Super Cock Blockers - 44 (10.8%)
Tower of Babel - 0 (0%)
Yamada's Nude Golf - 5 (1.2%)
Zoo Babies - 4 (1%)
Total Voters: 125

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Adult/Educational Compo: Voting!  (Read 50856 times)
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2009, 12:28:04 AM »

There always has been. And guitar players got all huffy when people started making music with sequencers too. People who have invested a whole lot of time and effort developing such a skill can sometimes feel a little insecure when other people find a way to skip that step, and go right on to being creative without it. Especially when it turns out the novice has better ideas.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2009, 12:49:40 AM »

I both play guitar and use a sequencer.

Um...give me the guitar any day for ease of use.  Seriously, you aren't skipping a step there AT ALL.  Undecided

Or maybe I've been playing too long and I've only been using sequencers for a few weeks.  Still, it ain't easy.  Likewise, I don't think it takes less skill to make an equally compelling game in Game Maker.  But since the entry barrier is a lot lower, you probably end up with a lot more crap to sift through.

Or not, considering some mainstream titles that come to mind.  Bah!  This is confusing to think about this late at night!  Shrug

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2009, 05:26:43 PM »

Ok, this is seriously getting way off topic. Sorry, everybody.

But you should know that I can program, and I can play the guitar, so yeah I know about that. And I also know about the snobbery of my fellow programmers and musicians, and I think it's misplaced - but I do understand it. And it's present in every discipline. And it was present, even, in this thread, which is why I mentioned it.

The fact is that when you make something easier to do, more people do it. And when more people do it, you get more good ideas. And suddenly the people who used to be the only ones who could do it aren't so special any more, and they might not even have the best ideas, and they get pissy.

It's understandable but it's wrong.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Kekskiller
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2009, 05:54:46 PM »

The fact is that when you make something easier to do, more people do it. And when more people do it, you get more good ideas. And suddenly the people who used to be the only ones who could do it aren't so special any more, and they might not even have the best ideas, and they get pissy.

It's understandable but it's wrong.

One of the reasons why some commercial developers give mod utilities: They know their ideas are bad, but the technology isn't. So, everybody doing the hard way has to drop a bit here and there.
Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »

> Jirosum, most entertaining of all.
> Backdoor Man, really funny stuff.

falsion
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2009, 11:09:42 AM »

I changed one of my votes to Back Door Man due to it being a really amazing game. Unfortunately, I had to drop one of my votes to do it, due to the 3 vote limit, no hard feelings or anything.
Alex!
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2009, 04:16:12 PM »

This was tough!

For emotional impact, I was torn between Edmund and I HAVE CANDY, but after playing both a bit more, the latter won that by an absolute mile.

For storytelling, and the way the message is presented, I was torn between Back Door Man (which had a good story, and was presented well), Iraq (which wasn't a story, persay, but the metaphor was very well done), Sheets (engaging stories, but really simple method - though having a story branch out by not choosing a branch was a great idea, and one I'd like to see more in games, to keep conversations flowing without awkward pauses), and I Love You 2 (silly story, but fantastic presentation). In the end I went with I Love You 2, because of how engaged I was by the mechanic of it.

If I could have an extra vote, it'd probably go to Back Door Man. While Iraq was really well designed, it wasn't really Adult nor Educational: an interesting idea in the wrong place. Meanwhile Back Door Man was definitely adult, and also really entertaining.

My last vote went for sheer entertainment value, and Back Door Man couldn't compare to Jirosum and Dildo Tank. Dildo Tank was amusing from before the game even began, and the gameplay was surprisingly fun. Although Jirosum had such an intriguing mechanic, in the end it came down to Jirosum also feeling a bit misplaced, neither really educational nor adult.

And there's no question about whether or not Dildo Tank was adult.

This was the first TIGsource compo that I've ever actually voted upon, and it's the first where I've played every single entry. Shame that Oregon Trail River game never got made, though. That would've had my vote for sure.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2009, 07:37:04 AM »

My favorites and why:

Back Door Man: Very good writing, especially for something made in so little time, lots of entertainment value, definitely adult in more ways than one, several endings, etc.
Coitus!: Probably the only game here where sex is the gameplay.  The sounds are pretty funny and it's got a pretty neat arcadey feel to it.
Edmund: An emotionally charged game and pretty much my favorite of the compo. Great atmosphere and storytelling despite its simplicity.
I HAVE CANDY GET IN THE VAN: One thing this game and its creator have is balls to tackle on such a controvertial and hate-inducing topic, and manage to do so in a pretty interesting way at the same time. Though the game itself contradicts the message it tells you right at the beginning, so maybe there was a more effective way to convey its message.
I Love you 2: Incest! Also, very good tying of gameplay to story and the feelings/actions of the main character. Also, incest.
Jirosum: Polished, fun and adorable at the same time. A hard thing to manage in so little time. It could be a great way to get small kids accostumed to summing and subtracting numbers. And, fox flying on a floating book killing animals with the power of fucking math. What's there not to like?
Sheets: Some very nice storytelling again, but I find the lack of interactivity besides the first branching point a bit disappointing. Still, clearly very adult and well written.

I should say that I couldn't really test Super Cock Blockers well since I had no time to set up a game with others, but it feels very polished and seems like it could be a lot of hilarious fun with friends.

My votes went to:
Back Door Man
Edmund
JiroSum
All in all, a great compo with some creative entries. Good job guys. Hand ClapMy Word!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Chaytup
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2009, 12:10:24 PM »

super cock blockers rolf
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2009, 03:48:53 PM »

Almost there, and it's pretty tight for the first spot. Grin

Okenido
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2009, 04:10:27 PM »

1. Edmund.
2. Back Door Man.
3. Candy Van.
Chris P. Bacon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2009, 04:26:33 PM »

4. SCB  Beer!

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2009, 04:33:36 PM »

5. JiroSum  Tiger
edmundito
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2009, 04:51:17 PM »

Hooray! Good show everyone! Let's do that again!  Beer!
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »

Congratulations to Edmund. A worthy winner.

Beer! GentlemanHand Money Right Beer! Coffee Beer! Coffee Beer! GentlemanHand Money Right Beer! Beer! Beer!

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2009, 09:15:44 PM »

I'd say that turned out fairly well!  Beer!

Well, on to the next game project.  >.>

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2009, 09:53:19 PM »

I was really happy with the games this time around, some really good ones. I only got to play a few of them, though, so I'll have to play the rest when I can. Anyway, Edmund was my favorite among them; congrats, Farmergnome!

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2009, 01:39:44 AM »

Congratulations to Farmergnome, for creating a game that provoked emotion, stirred up a huge amount of discussion, and ruffled quite a few feathers! Edmund definitely fulfilled the competition's brief, and it got my vote. Also congratulations to Grundislav for Back Door Man, which stole one of my votes from Dildo Tank at the last moment (Sorry, Jazzuo; I still think your game is great!).

Congrats also to Aquin and Fifth. And Super Cock Blockers \o/! A solid top five.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2009, 01:57:02 AM »

Cheers guys had alot of fun with that comp, see you all next one/s with any luck. Grats to everyone who finished you guys are the awesome.  Gentleman

Melly release the zombie survival simulator and I will love you long time!  Kiss

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2009, 11:55:42 AM »

Eventually, but that will be a whiiiiile. Complicated engines and shit, yo. WizardHand Point Right

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic