Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:41:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCaptain Forever
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Captain Forever  (Read 160093 times)
Chris 2.0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: December 01, 2009, 12:22:24 PM »

I agree with the save mode thing. I don't have the patience to build a good ship all at once, and it isn't practical to leave the game running all the time...

Also, I've changed my mind on the cloning thing. Please leave that in there, it make my life much easier Tongue
sobebop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 01, 2009, 02:37:39 PM »

it seems you can destroy the bluster shields at times, and then other time you can fire at them forever and they will not blow up... i guess if you blow up the module they are attached to they will blow up, but otherwise they are immune to dammage?

game is solid btw Wink
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: December 01, 2009, 02:42:13 PM »

Yep sobebop, that's right. Kill a module and anything attached to it (and anything attached to that and so on) is also destroyed.

Also: Welcome to the forum!
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 01, 2009, 03:05:13 PM »

Suggestion: If you add a sandbox mode, you could also add some kind of unlock-mechanism. You have to unlock a piece before you get to use it in the sandbox. An advanced way would be to have challenges/achievements that unlock pieces. A (fairly) easy way to do it would be to have pieces unlocked by usage. Find a new piece and add it to you ship -> piece unlocked. Or perhaps, having a piece equipped while destroying another ship.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
sobebop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 01, 2009, 04:20:50 PM »

ty!  so the bluster shields are immune to dammage?

and another question about successor... why does the grid warp?  i hope that question makes since.   there seem to be peaks and valleys created in the grid and at some times it will dissappear compleately!  is there a reason for this, or is it just for effect?

again ty for your previous reply!
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: December 01, 2009, 04:43:15 PM »

Blurst shields deflect all projectiles - so they can't be damaged by lasers, torpedoes, or missiles - but they can be hit with ramming spikes.

The 3D grid effect might be used for other things in later games, but for now it just looks pretty. Oh, and it becomes flat whenever you're out of danger.
DarkSoul520
Level 0

Yummy Pixels

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 01, 2009, 06:53:45 PM »

Ok, I finally got around to playing this, and this is fun as hell.  The feeling of progression is awesome.

sobebop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 02, 2009, 07:39:33 AM »

awesome!  ty for the info and quick replies Farbs.
fusion52
« Reply #308 on: December 02, 2009, 11:34:31 AM »

This game reminds me of the stuff i used to do with lego blocks.....this brings back memories...

to sum it up...this game is AWESOME!!!!

Well done Farbs Hand Thumbs Up Left
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: December 03, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »

check it out, I found invincibility in captain forever by imprisoning 3 enemy ships:

this means no new ships will be generated and I can fly around freely without worry  Ninja
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 09:06:45 AM by Esquar » Logged

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: December 03, 2009, 10:26:22 AM »

Oh yeah, what's with all the balance talk?

Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 03, 2009, 12:01:07 PM »

It sounds like a religion. The scavengers got so obsessed with having a balanced ship, that they have begun to believe it gives them otherworldly powers. By converting other ships the The Great Balance, the universe becomes more rotationally stable, and everyone gets more power. Sometimes, one must use lasers to carve balance into another's ship.

Also omnishrines.
SoulStorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 03, 2009, 08:37:36 PM »

Farbs

A couple more thoughts.  Would it be possible for components enhanced by chrono gears to show the effect of enhancement and/or the number of chrono gears in the chain?

Also, one or two more levels of zoom out ability would be nice.  The large ships appearing at the end of the game take up a lot of screen real estate.

Thanks 
SoulStorm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 04, 2009, 04:36:18 PM »

Farbs

I'm sure you have plenty of ideas of your own for new parts for the next iteration of the game, but here are a few more:

Stealth girders- stealth girders and anything attached to them are invisible until the ship makes its first attack.

Radar- Used to detect stealth ships.  Chain them together (using the tree system) to increase the radius of effect.

The blurst shield may be a bit too powerful currently. I'd limit its reflection ability to laser and beam weapons only and maybe call it a deflection girder to keep it from being confused with the bubble shield.

Speaking of bubble shields-  What if chaining them together (using the same tree system as chrono gears)created one bigger shield at their center and amplified their recharge rate?  Instead of having numerous overlapping shields, you would just have one larger more powerful shield.  Limit the maximum radius to a block or two beyond the outer perimeter of the ship.

Exotic girders- Made out of stable exotic elements, these girders are immune to explosive and thermal damage such as torpedoes and rockets.  Exotic girders are a great material for those who use torpedoes and rockets.

Resonating girders- These girders and anything attached to them can penetrate bubble shields as if the shields weren't there.  In the case of weapons attached to these girders, only the weapon itself would penetrate the bubble shield, not whatever the weapon fires.  Of course, once the weapon penetrates the bubble shield someone is in trouble.  These girder types would be popular with fast spikers who are currently stymied by bubble shields.

Reinforced girders- These girders are immune to conventional weapons such as spikes.

Displacement girders- These girders have no mass and negate the mass of anything attached to them. This decreases the total mass of the ship allowing it to fly faster and to be more maneuverable.

Bio-Medical enhancement droid- When attached to your capsule, the droid heals you and adds to your total health bringing you to parity with enemy capsules of equal level (India, Juliet, etc.).

Proton torpedo- A slow firing fast traveling long ranged mass of particles with homing capability.  A 2x2 or 3x1 horizontally mounted weapon because it would be quite powerful.

Flares- Flares are fast moving homing particles launched automatically in response to torpedoes and rockets   Flares have a slow fire rate.

It would probably be good idea to develop a keyword system making it easy to determine what kind of damage is dealt by weapons and defended against by girders.

Chris 2.0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 05, 2009, 09:21:10 AM »

I'm more interested to see how you exapand the gameplay than the parts that are made available. But whatever the focus of the next game ends up being, I'm sure it will be plenty enjoyable, and that's what really matters.

Also, I will continue to beg until there's some sort of save system...
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 05, 2009, 09:56:22 PM »

Love this game! Every time I die I think "Nope, this game is too hard for me. I don't want to play any more." and every time I come back  Who, Me?

I have a suggestion: You could do a Spore-like multiplayer thing, where the game records your spaceship blueprint at regular intervals, and then creates enemies with that blueprint in other players' games.

The Skeep
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 06, 2009, 10:00:02 AM »

I love the game and have been showing it to my friends and I'm surprised no one seems to have heard about it. general feelings from them about it is saving would be a nice feature.I personally think it would be ok, but it undermines the whole  building from scratch aspect. keep up the good work farbs!   Smiley
Chris 2.0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 06, 2009, 03:26:12 PM »

In my mind a save system wouldn't be so much a way to avoid building a ship from scratch as both a safety net in case you make a stupid mistake and loose what could easily be over an hour's work and also a way to take a break from the game without having to leave your computer running.
I suppose it could be used in a negative way, but no one has to abuse it and for those of us who wouldn't it certainly would be a helpful feature.

Oh, and I've also shown this to a number of friends, and even have convinced a few to buy it. Now they are spreading the word to their friends also. Everyone I've showed the game to has liked it so far
deliciouslie
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 07, 2009, 06:27:44 AM »

i'm having loads of fun with this.

|               |               |     
      +               +               +     
    ---------------
|---| ---------------   
    |              =
|   |=              |   
    ---------------
|   | ---------------   

H     []<|   |>[]       H         

/---\   |   |   /---\           
            | O |
[]< | | >[]| O |           

/----------\/---\/----------\       
        |          |
| @ ||          |       
        \----------/
|---|\----------/       
                  X>
| | <X                 

|   |                   

[]<|   |>[]                 

/----------\|   |/----------\       
        |          ||   ||          |       
        \----------/|---|\----------/       

Pilot this vessel

this is the vessel i had after my first run in with a kilo vessel. now that i know about the kilo clone coming up, looks like i'ma have to switch up my tactics some.
i love the evolutionary nature of the game, it's all great fun.
MaloEspada
« Reply #319 on: December 07, 2009, 08:27:59 AM »

I have a little sugestion:

I do not own Successor, but I don't know if I should spend 20$ on it. But let's pretend Sucessor doesn't exist.
Forever was 20$ and I would face the same situation. Should I pay for a game that I never tested?

Then I thought, why not make limited demos? Like, 5 minutes free or something like that. No export ships.
Then people would try out if they like the game or not easily. And decide if they should support the project.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic