Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:27:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralThe TIGForums Twenty 2009 Discussion
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: The TIGForums Twenty 2009 Discussion  (Read 28032 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: September 10, 2009, 01:39:58 PM »

Rank

Game
Cave Story
Spelunky
Super Metroid
Chrono Trigger
Portal
Half-Life 2
Metroid Prime
Shadow of the Colossus
Team Fortress 2
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Dwarf Fortress
X-COM: UFO Defense
Left 4 Dead
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Planescape: Torment
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Braid
La Mulana
World of Goo
Knytt Stories
Quake
Baldur's Gate 2
Deus Ex
Final Fantasy Tactics
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Final Fantasy VII
Super Mario 64
Half-Life
Ico
Fallout 2
Iji
World of WarCraft
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Super Mario World
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Diablo II
Super Mario Bros.
Grim Fandango
Katamari Damacy
Lemmings
Starcraft
An Untitled Story
Metal Slug 3
Gunstar Heroes
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Metal Gear Solid 2
Pokemon (Red/Blue)
Starcraft: Broodwar
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Fallout 3
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Silent Hill 2
Mount & Blade
Unreal Tournament
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Civilization 2
Metal Gear Solid
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Command and Conquer
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Rhythm Tengoku (Paradise)
Beyond Good and Evil
Mother 3
Super Mario Bros. 3
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Street Fighter 4
Doom
Okami
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Elite
Halo
Kirby Super Star
Sam and Max: Hit the Road
Tetris
Tyrian
Resident Evil 4
Final Fantasy VI
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
BioShock
Persona 3
Audiosurf
Bubble Bobble
Everyday Shooter
Knytt
Mega Man 9
No More Heroes
Outrun 2006
Punch-Out!! (NES)
System Shock 2
The Curse of Monkey Island
Sonic 3 and Knuckles
Fallout
Lyle in Cube Sector
NetHack
Noitu Love 2
Super Mario Sunshine
Suikoden 2
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
The Secret of Monkey Island
Defense of the Ancients (Warcraft 3)
Score

Full Breakdown (Thanks, Rynen10k!)

Do all your discussing for the TTT9 (The Triple T Nine) in this thread!

I played a lot of great PC games this year, like Fallout 2 and Jagged Alliance 2, that had to make it onto my list.  So yeah, nostalgia took an even bigger dive.  Go figure!  I think this trend will continue as Good Old Games keeps adding to its library...

Also, I've gotten into shoot 'em ups more this year.  There's a Japanese arcade near where my parents live that has Mushihimesama Futari and I've loved playing it when I go.  Unfortunately, I don't go enough to call it a favorite.

Gain Ground is a sleeper hit for me this year (it's on the Genesis collection for PS2).  It's surprisingly novel and has a fair amount of strategy to it.  It's also fun to play co-op.

FF6 went off my list completely, which was surprising to me... I don't know, I don't feel compelled to play JRPGs these days and the characters and narrative in FF6 don't do much for me any more, unlike, say Earthbound or Phantasy Star 2.  I still like the original FF because of the way you can switch up your party for a different experience.

I'm still working on my list.  I should probably kick off something for Metal Slug 3.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 05:57:18 AM by Derek » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 01:53:49 PM »

This should be tough, but I'll have to enter it this year.

I'm sure Shadow of the Colossus will be pretty high, but I'll refrain from posting too early. I'll have to think hard to grab all the gams I'd want to add. I'm pretty sure one will have 50 points, at least. (bump bump bump!)

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 02:00:07 PM »

It's hard to choose games you really like :/

My choices are either ones I really enjoy or have very good memories. But yea, this is interesting, can't wait to see the results!
PlayMeTape
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 02:02:36 PM »

Sorry about my formating in the voting thread. Didn't mean to screw it all up by fooling others:P. I've fixed it now.

Anyways, my list wasn't very well thought out but it feels more honest that way. In my case atleast.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 02:10:27 PM »

Elevator Action 2 is my favorite arcade game ever and I recommend anyone with MAME play the shit out of it.

Who else is probably gonna switch out half their list over the course of the month? Corny Laugh

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »

That's why I plan on placing my list only around the end.

EDIT: Okay, when EXACTLY does it end again?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 02:25:43 PM »

I've spent a pile of time over the last year trying out games that people tell me are good that I haven't had a chance to play over the years. After I had

Hitman: Blood Money - I love stealth game play, and its great because there are a bunch of different options for how you do stealth. I think this Hitman really hit its stride, there are dozens of ways to complete tasks, you have really interesting levels to just stroll around in.

Beyond Good and Evil -Best 3D Zelda game since Zelda64. It feels very French, and I love it. The Characters are fantastic and varied, you really understand their motivations and relationships, its really neat.

Psychonauts - The style of this game Kicked my ass! It was so funny and looked really cool. EXCEPT the Meat Circus! FUCK THAT NOISE. But honestly I managed to trudge onward and beat it, feeling triumphant something that a game hasent had me feel in a long time, and that has to be a testament to how good the rest of the game is.

Aquaria - When the world opened up and I got into the open ocean, I found myself unable to stop playing until I found EVERYTHING, something I haven't done in a game since LoZ:aLttP.

Games that Almost made the list:

Fable 2- I love this game because there always seems to be something interesting to do! I love strolling around towns fucking with people, or wrecking economies. I love being a property magistrate and gaining money from not playing.  I love being able to Change my sex finding out my wife still loves me because she swings both ways. Then changing my looks to be a crazy Amazon woman.

Left4Dead- I spent sooo many hours on this with classmates, family and friends, I can't wait for the second one.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 03:11:55 PM »

Looks like I'll need to use a new points system this year. I did a top six the previous two years like so; 1. [60], 2. [50], 3. [40], 4. [30], 5. [20], 6. [10]. But now there's a 50 points maximum I'll need to re-jig it. Might go for a top ten approach.

The-Imp
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 03:27:06 PM »

Right when I saw Metal Slug 3 on Derek's list, I felt compelled to add it to mine, because it's such a freakin' awesome game, it's not even funny.

Let's see, it's got:
aliens
marines
tanks
many guns (many variety!)
crabs
GIANT crabs
GIANT-ER crabs
yetis
robots (bleep bloop)
man-eating plants
ziggurats

The list goes on and on and on and on! BUUUUUUTTTTTTT
The best part is
RAWGET LAWNCHERS

Oh and god dammit There are now lots of games I'm realizing I should have used instead...
(I did a top 5)
rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 04:07:31 PM »

My list isn't the best representation of the games I most enjoyed, or the games I think were best designed, but I figured if I just typed fifteen games out it would be a much better gauge of what is memorable to me, which is the true measure of how good a game is.

1. Half Life 2
This game is totally titties. I actually deleted my save file halfway through just so I could play the first half over again.

2. Super Mario Bros.
It's great. I still play it.

3. Paper Mario
It's funny, fun, pretty, all around awesome. I need to dig up the 64 and replay this.

4. Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
I'm going to admit, I haven't played more than the first few dungeons (and had a blast), but this game is so great I actually sat down and watched someone play almost the entire thing, and loved it. I still don't know why I haven't bought it.

5. Killer 7
This game is also totally titties, but in a completely different way than HL2

6. Roller Coaster Tycoon: Loopy Landscapes
When you learn how to hack the game it becomes an art form. I'm not even joking.

7. Portal
Probably doesn't deserve to be on the list, becuase I had way more fun playing this than I should have

8. Timesplitters 2
Same as Portal. Maybe it's the nostalgia but I still play this with friends

9. 6 Days a Stranger
Very intriguing story and creepy mood. Also my first point-n-click, so it holds some sentimental value for me.

10. Super Smash Bros. Melee
C'mon, this game rocks

11. Tetris
So simple yet so compelling

12. Metroid Fusion
I'm not going to lie, this was my only Metroid game apart from Prime 3. Soo... yeah.

13. Left 4 Dead
And I don't even have friends who play it with! It's a blast regardless

14. Shadow the Ninja
This game truly makes me feel like a badass ninja. Somehow

15. Metal Slug 2
I lost so much money to this game. So much. You might say 3 is better from a technical view, but your mother doesn't love you

Honorary mentions: Barkely: Shut up and Jam! Gaiden and Ark 22.

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 05:02:47 PM »

The thing I feel the most guilty about is the fact that I don't think I can really include Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Edition on the list. I've had more fun with that over the past year than about 90% of video games throughout my life.

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 05:03:18 PM »

Had to top it with Metroid Prime (1) and Knytt Stories, as those are just phenomenal atmospheric exploration games.

Everyday Shooter as a close second/third was pretty easy too; innovation marks, definitely, and just really love the game.

I really love the style of the Wipeout series, but the first one I played is probably still my favorite, despite some of it's flaws (Pulse).

I still have great memories of Jedi Outcast, so I had to include it.  Something about that game must have just been designed right, or I just played it at the right time in my life; anyway, really solid fps.

Felt a bit odd including Metal Gear Solid 2, but I haven't actually finished beyond that in the series and although the gameplay bothered me at times the story and themes raised were top notch.  I mean, here's a game that came out before Web 2.0 and ends with an (SPOILER) AI talking about the dangerous threat of Information Pollution.  And the whole real/fake split in the game was executed brilliantly.

Lyle in Cube Sector was just plain awesome!  Great graphics/atmosphere!

And I have to give props to Mega Man Zero 3; if it weren't for that game, I might not have the reflexes I do; after mastering that, most other games come a lot more naturally.  Smiley
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 05:40:36 PM »

Hmm. I haven't added mine yet.

La Mulana is a given
Dwarf Fortress is a given
GARDEN GNOME CARNAGE (The best game ever made)
Fallout 3 (My favorite recent RPG)
Ecco the Dolphin (Corny Laugh)
Phantasy Star 4 (My favorite RPG from the SNES/Genesis era)
Rock Band 2
Castle Crashers
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Metroid Fusion

There. That's ten excellent games for you.
soundofsatellites
Level 2

no way baby, let's go!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 06:08:44 PM »

man I hate doing lists... can I just spread luv all over? Big Laff

La Mulana is a given
Dwarf Fortress is a given
GARDEN GNOME CARNAGE (The best game ever made)

I picked SYNSO 2, but it totally falls under the same category than GGC and RunMan's which is... aww shit, I already fucked the thing up Cry

Also, now that I think 'bout it, why isn't a :La-Mulana: (as in  Cave Story)??!!

and the glitter is gone
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 06:13:37 PM »

Okay, someone explain Metal Slug to me.

I grew up with Contra instead. It's only within the past year that I decided to try out Metal Slug, so I bought the Metal Slug Anthology. I played the first game in the series then, and it seemed pretty awesome at first, especially the art, but I had too many lives so it didn't feel like dodging was particularly important, which made it significantly less fun than Contra. Maybe the original had fewer lives than the anthology edition?

And then I played the rest of them in the anthology and they were ALL THE SAME. Geeze. Give me my Contra back.
Afinostux
Level 2

Forgotten Beats

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 06:26:19 PM »

I just went with the five I've found most inspirational. If I tried to work out a top five list, I would be here all day.

Super Metroid
Gish
Machines: Wired for War
Half Life 2
Metal Slug X

Metal slug 3 used to be my favorite, but x has a way better ending and more tanks and madness.
Super Metroid had to be on there. It's the first game I ever finished (playing Corny Laugh)
Machines was one of the first games I played on PC, and I still love the art style.
Half life 2 also had to be on there. Valve is a company comprised of badasses.
Gish. Just Gish. Edmund McMillen is the Tom Waits of games. Except he doesn't sound like a goat. Yet.

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 06:27:46 PM »

So I decided to be unpredictable in a few choices of mine. And since Derek said I couldn't include D&D, I had to include Neverwinter Nights (which is the closest yet still an unsuitable substitute). Uh... let's see, what might warrant some explainin'.

1.  [15] Day of the Tentacle
Nope, this is pretty obvious to any adventure gamers.

2.  [15] Trilby's Notes
Uh... this one too.

3.  [15] BioShock
I didn't play System Shock 2, so I don't know what these "similarities" people complain about are. I loved the atmosphere and style, though.

4.  [15] The Curse of Monkey Island
Yes it's my favorite entry in the series.

5.  [15] Scratches - Director's Cut
It's better than the non-director's-cut version.

6.  [15] Spelunky
CAUSE I WON TWICE IN FIVE HUNDRED GAMES ARGH WHY DO I LIKE THIS

7.  [15] Iji
It's better than Cave Story, which didn't get on the list, btw.

8.  [15] Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Mind boils!

9.  [15] Neverwinter Nights
Hahaha, if only the DMing system didn't require multiple CD keys.

10. [15] Myst 3: Exile
Yeah I liked it better than Riven. Shoot me.

11. [10] Dear Esther.
Ah. I only didn't put this up at the top cause I ran into some bad errors and glitched through part of the game.

12. [10] Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder
Say what you will about it being a bad game... well okay it does warrant that a bit but I really enjoyed it!

13. [10] Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors
My brother and I set aside weekends and play long games of this some times. Spanish monks are awesome.

14. [10] The Incredible Machine
Yeah I do love this game, but it is pretty simplistic and gets boring fast.

15. [10] Halo 3
OH NOES NOT HALO AM I TURNING MAINSTREAM. No, It's just really fun to play through the campaign in one sitting with three other friends.

16. [5] Half-Life 2
I'm not much of a fan of shooters, and aside from the really good parts it was basically just another shooter. Not even that stylistic or worth another play through.

17. [5] Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Cause being a jedi is cool and there's nothing more satisfying than throwing Sith off bridges. Well, there is, and that's doing so in a decent game. Which this is.

And that's all.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 06:31:55 PM »

1.  [15] Day of the Tentacle
Nope, this is pretty obvious to any adventure gamers.
Is this the single other person in the world who also likes Day of the Tentacle more than Monkey Island?  Screamy
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 06:36:17 PM »

17. [5] Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Cause being a jedi is cool and there's nothing more satisfying than throwing Sith off bridges. Well, there is, and that's doing so in a decent game. Which this is.
Uh, so why Academy and not Outcast?  It's not that I hated Academy, it just wasn't nearly as good as Outcast IMO (probably mainly because of the plot, and the whole thing just seemed to lack character to me).
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 06:42:24 PM »

Cause Desann is a cheating son of a bitch who can instantly kill you with one hit, there aren't any speeder bikes in Outcast, your force power progression was basically forced to be a certain way, you couldn't choose what lightsaber style you wanted, and the mods for Academy are better.

And I seem to remember more bridges on levels where I had Force Choke in Academy than in Outcast. And I do love choking people off bridges.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic