Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:34:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsText the HallsText the Halls: An Interactive Fiction Competition
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Text the Halls: An Interactive Fiction Competition  (Read 62782 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: December 10, 2007, 03:43:03 PM »

This is a TIGSource TIGER Assault Interactive Fiction Competition.

What is TIGSource?  You're standing in it.

What is TIGER Assault?  TIGER Assaults are short competitions based around a particular theme.  The emphasis is on collaboration, sharing, and, most of all, the completion of projects.  I.e., it's an exercise in making small, tight, enjoyable/interesting games that can be played from beginning to end.  There are no prizes involved.

What is Interactive Fiction?  Interactive Fiction has a long and storied history that begins with the history of video games themselves.  Put simply, they are text-based games.  They have a strong cult following to this day, and I'll let Wikipedia explain the rest!

How do I make an entry for the competition?

You can use anything you want!  But here are some suggestions from Terry and Pacian:

As Terry mentioned, Inform 7 seems to have wide appeal to non-coding types.  On the other hand, people who know a little coding may (like me) find the idea of a natural language IDE thingy to be a bit intimidating.  If you know C++ or Java, TADS is your friend.  TADS2 is quite simple to use, I think, while TADS3 is a little scarier but has an enormous amount of out-of-the-box potential.

Start Date: Monday, December 10, Midnight

End Date: Monday, December 24, Midnight

Rules: Entries must be started and ended within the timeframe of the competition and must be made for the competition only.  Collaborations are allowed and, in fact, are welcomed.  The theme is "Winter" and/or "The Holidays/Christmas."

As usual, you may start a thread to track the development of your game!  Be sure to select the "Text the Halls" message icon to accompany your post.

Let's do it! Smiley
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 03:45:04 PM by Derek » Logged
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 03:45:53 PM »

Thank you!! This is going to be awesome!

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 04:00:57 PM »

yay!
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 04:19:47 PM »

What?  Text games?  Never heard anything so ridiculous.

Collaborations are allowed and, in fact, are welcomed.

I'd suggest that entrants should definitely consider sharing beta versions of their games among one another to test and criticise.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 04:26:02 PM »

Excellent :D Now if only I didn't have to wait for 33 minutes before I could start Angry

Also, I'd just like to add that Inform 6 is every bit as scary as TADS 3.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 04:32:56 PM »

Awesome -- I was looking for an excuse to write some IF!  Grin

Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 04:45:37 PM »

IF sounds like something a Code-nub like me could handle. If I can finish my work fast enough, count me in!
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 04:46:24 PM »

Work shmerk, I say!

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 05:07:11 PM »

There are a few other options out there for people who find Inform or TADS tricky (and there is a bit of a learning curve to both, btw):

ADRIFT has a reputation as the easiest IF development environment. It allows you to construct your game through a straightforward menu system - might be the closest thing out there to an IF gamemaker.

HUGO is another reasonably popular one. It's supposed to be a good choice for graphical games, since it supports all sorts of audio and video formats.

ALAN is another one that's meant to be fairly easy to pick up. Like the new version of INFORM, ALAN programs are fairly easy and intuitive to read.

There are a bunch more available on the IF Wiki.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 05:08:51 PM »

You really should just use INFORM though. Z-Code is the standard for this sorta thing :D

Raisins
Level 0

Why hello there I didn't see you come in

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 05:09:44 PM »

I might give this a shot Cool

[edit] Can it have graphics and music, As long as the gameplay is text based?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 05:44:02 PM by apodysophilia » Logged

I make websites on the internet. Some times I do other things.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »

Mine is going to be a horrible rush job done over Christmas break, considering I have exams to worry about for the next seven days.

Still, good luck, everyone!

Formerly "I Like Cake."
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 08:23:17 PM »

Sweetness.

So this Inform is pretty code-lite then?

Because if it is I am so down with this...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 08:31:51 PM »

Crap, I want to enter but I'm already in another time-consuming compo. Maybe I'll just see what I can shit out in a night.
Xotes
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 08:33:38 PM »

Heh, I've never coded in my life. Still, with Inform, I might pull something out. It'll suck, but it'll be a learning experience.

“I have brought you T, Master. It took quite a lot of searching on your Galaxy’s non-holographic communications network, but no man is beyond the reach of a Sith.”

Meanwhile, poor Mr. T was left to hang upside down in the middle of the room, informing us that we were both fools, to be pitied.
Advenith
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 08:40:28 PM »

I might enter this one. IF is probably the only thing I can pull off with my extremely limited coding experience and lack of artistic skill.

heLLo,       ciTiZen. we can heaR everYthing you sAy.        we know wHat you taLK about, we knOw wHat you hear, and we knoW what you rEAd. sUbversiVe fiLth. yoUr kind wiLl be clEansed from the eArth. why     reSiSt? eVen if wE can't      finD you, the druGs will. it's Only a mAtter of tiMe.
Spincut
Level 1

Playing the games you make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 10:13:42 PM »

*dances* I'm excited! This is going to be fuuuun!
Shoot-em-upper
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 12:05:36 AM »

I'll enter, if I can figure out what to do about Inform being so boneheaded.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 01:05:30 AM »

Seriously, if you're having Inform troubles, I'd recommend doing what I did. Get a big pot of Assam tea (black) and work through all the examples as fast as possible.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 01:25:41 AM »

Inform was definately not that shiny looking last time I tried it.

If I come up with an idea that won't distract me overmuch from my other plodding learn-to-make-games project, I'll see about entering. I definately want to see how well the natural language Inform thing holds up.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic