Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 01:25:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsText the HallsText the Halls: An Interactive Fiction Competition
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Text the Halls: An Interactive Fiction Competition  (Read 63412 times)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2007, 03:28:13 PM »

The winner will receive the title of "Awesome", to be placed on top of his avatar.

How about "Text God"? :D

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2007, 05:26:04 PM »

Yeah, a vote sounds good. Smiley

And I'd like to reiterate that the idea is to really try to finish your game, even if it requires scaling the idea back. Wink
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2007, 08:34:39 PM »

So ... anyone else looking at Inform 7, their attempts to create something with it, the wordy errors they seem to be getting, the sheer amount of documentation, and just thinking Huh? ?

There is, I think, a very good reason that no one tries to use the English language to program things. Having the compiler try and give me a chirpy explanation about what it was trying to do but didn't manage is definately not helping. Give me specific utterly incomprehensible errors that I can google to get proper explanations of any day. Tongue

Guys look what I found!

Mystery adventure creator

It's way simpler than inform and Tads since it only emulates old skool adventure games with no fancy pants syntaxic blahblah, and as a bonus you can use pictures. Just looking at the tutorial it seems rather powerful too.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2007, 02:07:05 AM »

I just realized that it has been a good minute since I played a text adventure game. Is there a good text adventure that some could recommend to me so to brush up on my IF?

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2007, 05:35:18 AM »

Play absolutely *anything* by Adam Cadre. It'll fundamentally change the way you think about games.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2007, 06:33:49 AM »

http://adamcadre.ac/if.html

Seth
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2007, 07:41:19 AM »

I dunno, so far I haven't been too impressed with his stuff.  Though I've only played Photopia and Shrapnel.  I actually played Photopia twice, not fully realizing it until the end.  I guess I didn't find it too memorable the first time around  Tongue 

I agree with the standard philosophy behind it though: no "puzzles" really, just more of a way to explore a fiction.
polefist
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2007, 11:07:47 AM »

How do I send the game to this comp when I am finished?
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2007, 01:53:49 PM »

You can pm me the link, e-mail me, start a thread and post it there, or post it right here in this thread. Smiley
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2007, 02:38:44 PM »

Play absolutely *anything* by Adam Cadre. It'll fundamentally change the way you think about games.

Thanks guys Smiley

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2007, 04:54:35 AM »

Not that I want to be a cold shower for the (admittedly justified) TIGS hard-on for Cadre, but if you want to see a few games in a different style:

Vespers (Plague-ridden monk solves mysteries.)
Sunset Over Savannah (Holiday-maker seeks beauty)
Scavenger (Fallout-ish post-apocalyptic highjinks)
Downtown Tokyo, Present Day (Man in helicopter fights giant chicken)
Attack of the Yeti Robot Zombies (Random dude fights monsters)

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
papu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2007, 08:12:56 AM »

Vespers is really good, haven't played or heard of any of the others...
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2007, 12:48:35 PM »

I'm starting to learn Inform. Actually, I wanted to do this for quite a while now, so thanks for giving me a little push.
OldGrover
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2007, 09:36:22 PM »

I've just blitzed through 3 days of writing my entry - first IF ever.  Did it in Alan (http://www.alanif.se)

Anyone out there feel like doing some testing for me before I formally submit it?  Could use some extra eyes looking for bugs and problems.

It is called The Christmas Party - and it has you saving Christmas for a bunch of orphans - and maybe scoring some brownie points with a cute girl.

Any takers for testing? PM if interested
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2007, 01:29:46 PM »

So ... anyone else looking at Inform 7, their attempts to create something with it, the wordy errors they seem to be getting, the sheer amount of documentation, and just thinking Huh? ?

There is, I think, a very good reason that no one tries to use the English language to program things. Having the compiler try and give me a chirpy explanation about what it was trying to do but didn't manage is definately not helping. Give me specific utterly incomprehensible errors that I can google to get proper explanations of any day. Tongue

I think I understand what you meant now. I'm close to the end of Chapter 3, and there's so much still to chew through...
OldGrover
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2007, 09:53:39 PM »

I think I understand what you meant now. I'm close to the end of Chapter 3, and there's so much still to chew through...

I learned ALAN (http://www.alanif.se) for my entry (first IF ever) and found it pretty clear, with a really good beginner's guide, if you want another option.  Yeah, Inform is the granddaddy, but there are other choices possible.

-OG
drfroth
Level 0

Frothy Goodness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2007, 12:19:12 PM »

I am using Quest for this.

If Inform or TADS seem a little difficult to grasp fast enough for a quick game, you can always look at editors such as Quest, ADRIFT, or SUDS.  (Note:  SUDS is free).

"Oh God, the salamander has leaped into the egg nogg"
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2007, 12:00:06 AM »

Just curious, you say TIGER Assaults, so have there been TIGER Assaults in the past, or is this a new thing? And how often are these going to happen?

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2007, 06:15:49 AM »

Former Tiger secretaries have agreed not to mention Tiger's past assaults in exchange for monetary compensation.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2007, 09:55:41 AM »

Ugh, don't think I'll be making it this time. Have to go on a christmas trip in very few days.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic