Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:20:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDRYPOINT (open source)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: DRYPOINT (open source)  (Read 48439 times)
aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: September 16, 2009, 10:13:06 AM »

This game is hard.
Even tho this game has a casual gaming coating, it is pretty hard, so please understand that by downloading the game you won't go through it the first time.

DOWNLOAD RELEASE : PC | MAC 20mb | Source

Drypoint is a very hard platforming puzzle game for mac and pc. A lot of jumping skills are required to go through this world, as the game mechanics revolves around exploits and complex jumps patterns. Use the arrows or wasd for running and the mouse to look around. Even tho this game as a casual game coating, it is for experienced players.

Few words: An Entity in the midst of a foggy pixel world climbs a ladder to heaven, facing 7 steep levels, Dante's ascension to heaven. There is no place for errors as this game doesn't give so much as a second chance. As the music changes and builds up the Entity knows that a tiny mistake will bring him back to the bottom. You think Aztec Challenge 64 was hard ?

Drypoint is a wink to the retro games with a chaotic mess of hard platforming.

Controls
Move: w, a, s, d & arrows
Jump: Spacebar or Right Click
Look Around: Mouse
Quit: Apple+Q

Updates Log
1r - Completed 4 areas.
1r - 3 Soundscapes
1r - Fixed some art.
1r - Uploaded to new site
1b - A preview of level 3.
1b - New tiles, and a couple of design fixes
1b - New Door system to change between levels
1b - Fixed glitch on respawn ( known as auto death haha )
1b - New tutorial level
4a - New Level
3a - Removed the music
3a - Minor Level design fix
3a - Fixed the crashes on the first floor and fixed the double jump crash
3a - More Fluid mouse sensitivity
3a - New Level ( Test )
3a - Timer bar
3a - Faster Frame Rate
2a - The mouse is hidden
2a - Added a crosshair
2a - Added a map or locator
2a - Fixed a few Level Design flaws
2a - Added a track ( ドライポイント U P    by 害意 )
2a - Added a splash screen
2a - Added an application icon for OS X

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:54:07 AM by aliceffekt » Logged

XXIIVV

Drypoint, Cyanosis, Kanikule, Valentinel, Pierrot Death, Zjeveni, Merveilles, Cenote, Cloud is a Lie, Pico³, Siseon°, Phloston Paradise, Volkenessen, FRACT, Waiting for Horus, Diluvium, Pico Battle, Hiversaires, Melady Antres.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 10:31:25 AM »

Looks quite nice!  Good to see a 3D platformer being made.  One issue to consider, though, is that judging precision jumps in a platformer is much more difficult when it's in first person.

aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 10:41:41 AM »

Hey thanks : )

I m trying to make the learning curve not totally heartless. The first jumps are easy. the game is actually a lot based around skills, there is 3 kind of jumps.

Easy - Forward jump & up jump
Medium - Jump from under a platform
Hard(IJ) - Jump from under a platform up.

The IJ jump requires quite a bit of practice, on the water level ( ground ) there is a practice structure to master this kind of jump Smiley

XXIIVV

Drypoint, Cyanosis, Kanikule, Valentinel, Pierrot Death, Zjeveni, Merveilles, Cenote, Cloud is a Lie, Pico³, Siseon°, Phloston Paradise, Volkenessen, FRACT, Waiting for Horus, Diluvium, Pico Battle, Hiversaires, Melady Antres.
mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 12:30:48 PM »

Wow, nice visuals, maybe using some kind of digital recording software would help you, I mean instead of using your phone.

Will be looking forwards to seeing this develop Smiley

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 01:08:41 PM »

It's actually going to be a FPS.

I started the game with a strange thought in mind. You might remember in Counter-Strike or quake and UT all the exploit with the walls and lamps collision boxes. Drypoint revolves around this a lot. It's a race to the top with skills. By that I mean, I am trying to tweak the settings to allow really specific gestures. I will post a video tonight of a Hard (IJ) jump. With the hard jump technique you can climb through things that would look like an obstacle for a new player.

Stay tuned ^___^

XXIIVV

aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 01:25:44 PM »

No shooting   Panda Hand Thumbs Up Left

Code:
           ..ed$$$$$be..               
         .d$$$$$$$$$$$$$$c             
       .$$$$P"" $$$ ""*$$$$c           
      z$$$*"    $$$     *$$$e           
     z$$$"      $$$      ^$$$L         
     $$$F       $$$       '$$$         
    4$$$       d$$$$.      $$$F         
    4$$$     .$$$$$$$e     $$$F         
     $$$r   d$$P$$$$$$$.  .$$$"         
     *$$$..$$$" $$$ "$$$e $$$P         
      *$$$$$P"  $$$  ^*$$$$$$           
       *$$$$c.  $$$  .z$$$$P           
        ^*$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$P"             
           "*$$$$$$$$$*""               
               """""     

XXIIVV

mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 01:39:44 PM »

So, it's more of a FPJ Wink [First Person Jumper]

Is there any like "rocket jump" mechanic? [I used to play lots of Q3A and I really loved rocket jumping and strafe jumping, but the rocket jumping courses is the thing I really miss, precision and quick reactions, I also sucked at it :D]

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 01:46:24 PM »

Fez-Style ripoff!  Except the background is blue-green instead of that shade of blue Fez is "known" for.

I am just kidding of course. Fez clone accusation is the new Cave Story accusation, I suppose? Anyways.....

How far along are you? I want to play this. Now.  Beg

I'm jealous, I wish I thought of this idea first. Story/Premise reminds me of the tale of the Tower of Babel in the Bible.

Dante seems likes a ..weird game. Unless you have a certain reason for it. It just reminds me of Dante's inferno that's all. But who cares about the name? I want the bloody game.

I await more progress reports  Kiss
aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 04:11:44 PM »

Is there any like "rocket jump" mechanic?

The game is pretty minimal as of yet, well there is something like the rocket jump yes, but I only use it to develop. I think there is already so many puzzle you can do with only cubes. Right now a player can jump 1 cube forward, 1 cube 1, and 1 cube in diagonal up. :D

Fez-Style ripoff! 

I know the guys who make Fez haha, there is definitely a big influence on Fez. I'm thinking about making some sort of Fez tribute/ easter egg wink kindda thing somewhere. I dunno. The green is actually #72dec2 from my website xxiivv.com

How far along are you? I want to play this. Now.

I kindda started it like 2 days ago. I don't know I ll make various playable build for both mac / pc so people can fool around in it Smiley

Jumps explained  Crazy

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 04:58:29 PM by aliceffekt » Logged

XXIIVV

Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 05:08:09 PM »

Holy cripple, this shit is looking awesome!  I love the low-poly cube style, and the whole FPJ is great.  I'm keeping my eye on this thing.  Blink

deathtotheweird
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 06:25:06 PM »

ah, I was just kidding. Don't take it the wrong way  Embarrassed
 this is
2 days ago? wow, that's impressive.   Coffee 

p.s. Hand Any Key - this is me preessing F5 every 30 minutes.
aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 06:30:08 PM »

This is me working hard to have new things to show before crashing. : )

XXIIVV

aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 06:50:22 PM »

Panda Drypoint v.1a - First Playable
DOWNLOAD : PC | MAC 5mb.

Are you able to make it to the top of this blue tower, right under the white squares.

*if you can't climb up the wooden deck. Watch the

and try to practice the IJ JUMP or spiral jumping.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 06:56:35 PM by aliceffekt » Logged

XXIIVV

Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 06:53:27 PM »

Yes!  Too late to play now, but will provide feedback tomorrow!

aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 07:00:53 PM »

Re-download it tomorrow ^__^ . I forgot to reset the spawn point.
Looking forward to hear what you think of this. I know it's a hard game.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 07:34:03 PM by aliceffekt » Logged

XXIIVV

Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 07:45:32 PM »

Big Laff @ the FUUUU- image. My thoughts exactly as I lose 5 minutes worth of progress in a missed jump.

May I suggest what we call at Polytron the "Blow Window Of Opportunity"? A window of 0.25 seconds (more or less) which allows the player to jump even if you're not standing on solid ground, such that if you fall, you can still jump for a very short time and save your ass.

And I can't wait to see this with sound and music. It's very atmospheric already. Kiss

aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 07:53:48 PM »

Like a double jump ?
Okay. What do you think of this:
A double jump that won't let you jump higher, but that will be only accessible to go back to the platform you came from, basically; it's active when you are bellow your last location on any ground.

XXIIVV

deathtotheweird
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 09:20:49 PM »

Currently, my only issues are the mouse sensitivity (way too high) and the player jumps too high and the vertical acceleration seems too fast. For larger heights a double jump would work better, but it could make the game easier..however your double jump idea seems quite balanced. maybe test it first? just in case. or you could make an easy and normal mode. or hell, even a hard mode.

But seriously, I'm really excited about this, more so after I played the alpha/beta/demo whatever you want to call it.

so, 2 days ago.  Cry but since you said it was only seven levels then I guess it won't be too bad of a wait. Addicted (there isn't any drool smiley so an addicted one will suffice)

couple edits: it would be lovely if you removed the mouse from showing up in the window. sorta distracting. but of course, I know it's just an alpha/beta. just saying. what about a crosshair? I believe a simple circle would suffice.even better would be multiple selections of common crosshairs.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 09:27:59 PM by deathtotheweird » Logged
Flame
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 09:35:14 PM »

Fun Game.

I didn't like how the controls was in the beginning but I got use to it.

I made it almost to the top.. lets say 2 more minutes to go and I was stupid enough to test if I can do the level in a different way.
Well.. I felled.. and died and restarted to the beginning ;_;
aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 06:18:05 AM »

Thanks Flame and Allen.

I will fix the mouse sensitivity I agree it s a bit fast, and the crosshair too, I ve make a cool crosshair I ll show you soon ^___^ . And remove the mouse cursor of course.

As for the difficulty, it's really just a matter of practice, I've been playing this little game non stop for 2 days and now I feel it's quite easy to get to the top. I will build a training ground on the water level to practice jumping and such.

So far people's reation has been very close to
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 09:48:44 AM by aliceffekt » Logged

XXIIVV

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic