Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:17:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDRYPOINT (open source)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Author Topic: DRYPOINT (open source)  (Read 48706 times)
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2010, 03:04:43 PM »

I think I saw that on one of the tutorials a long time ago, about combining meshes. Never felt the need to use it before though so it slipped my mind when you were talking about your performance problem. I think the tutorial says "one big mesh is better than a ton of small meshes"

good thing to remember

When using one mesh with one material, the engine is able to pack it into a single graphics call and send it off to the graphics card. As you might suspect, the overhead for a call is relatively high, so limiting the number of calls per frame increases performance. You will notice in the performance stats while running a game that there's a "Draw Batches" variable or something named like that. If you are curious how many calls a mesh or set of meshes uses, create an empty scene, place only that mesh there, jump into the game, and look at the performance stats while looking at the object.

There are some interesting applications of combining meshes: having randomly-generated maps / enemies that are made out of various hand-made submeshes and combined at runtime. You could just attach them to one another in the scenegraph but in certain circumstances (say, an RTS with tons of individual ships) this can get costly.

aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: November 01, 2010, 02:15:06 PM »

Drypoint is available again ! after getting hacked and lost everything I slowly reup the games with slight fixes. I fixed 8 hours worth of things and added a new level Smiley !

DOWNLOAD RELEASE : PC | MAC 20mb.

--

Drypoint nearly got 1500 download for the previous build. Addicted
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 02:23:12 PM by aliceffekt » Logged

XXIIVV

Drypoint, Cyanosis, Kanikule, Valentinel, Pierrot Death, Zjeveni, Merveilles, Cenote, Cloud is a Lie, Pico³, Siseon°, Phloston Paradise, Volkenessen, FRACT, Waiting for Horus, Diluvium, Pico Battle, Hiversaires, Melady Antres.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2010, 02:29:33 PM »

oh wow awesome  Smiley
tsameti
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 01, 2010, 03:08:42 PM »

Your Mac version needs a more reliable quit button. I had to find another machine to remind myself the key shortcut for 'forcequit'.

Other than that, hey. It's cute. I like your autumn.

Current
Poikolos

Permanently on Hiatus
Son, Stranger
PlayMeTape
« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2010, 01:11:53 PM »

Finished the new version. Quick feedback:
I'd prefer it if the music didn't restart every time I died (nothing major would just be a nice touch).
Why no exit button?
Is there any way to complete the last level besides reaching the door and Alt + f4 out?

I'd really love to see this fleshed out further so it wouldn't consist of the same three jumps several times. I love the atmosphere and visuals and I think this would be great if there were more variation in it. With some simple additions you could create a lot of new levels (which you seemed to enjoy).

Anyways, I'm not really expecting any more updates I just wanted to say my piece.

Thanks!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2010, 01:36:37 PM »

Code: (dontdestroy.js)
static var o:int=0;

function Start () {
o++;

if(o == 1)
DontDestroyOnLoad(this.gameObject);
else
Destroy(this.gameObject);
}

Here's the code I use if I want to restart a level many times, it prevents it from being destroyed when you restart the level and it destroys others created by the level restart.

Make a separate GameObject with an AudioSource that plays the music, and add this script to it. And to change the music, just swap the AudioClip in the same script that you use to change the level.
PlayMeTape
« Reply #166 on: November 02, 2010, 01:53:34 PM »

I like using a singleton as I can easily store variables I want to access from other scripts on it:

Code:
using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public class Singleton : MonoBehaviour
{
     public static Singleton singleton;

void Start()
     {
          if (Singleton.singleton == null)
          {
               Singleton.singleton = this;
               DontDestroyOnLoad(gameObject);
          }
          else if (Singleton.singleton != this)
          {
               Destroy(gameObject);
          }
     }
}

You could use the same GameObject to play the music.
aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: November 02, 2010, 03:03:27 PM »

Thanks guys, that really helps the game Smiley Feels more "fluid" now. Scripts like these I will have to bring them around onto my other games. I don't code much but I try to do the best use of scripts like these, so.. yea thanks !  Beer!

I re uploaded and now you can quit with escape  Wizard

XXIIVV

Drypoint, Cyanosis, Kanikule, Valentinel, Pierrot Death, Zjeveni, Merveilles, Cenote, Cloud is a Lie, Pico³, Siseon°, Phloston Paradise, Volkenessen, FRACT, Waiting for Horus, Diluvium, Pico Battle, Hiversaires, Melady Antres.
PlayMeTape
« Reply #168 on: November 02, 2010, 03:23:10 PM »

Just a quick heads up, right now it doesn't change the track when you reach a new level since it destroys the new levels Singleton.

Quickest fix would probably be something like:

Code:
using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public class Singleton : MonoBehaviour
{
     public static Singleton singleton;

//Set this to the correct level in the inspector
     public int currentLevel = 0;

void Start()
     {
          if (Singleton.singleton == null)
          {
          }
          else if (Singleton.singleton.currentLevel != Application.loadedLevel)
          {
               Destroy(Singleton.singleton.gameObject);
          }
          else if (Singleton.singleton != this)
          {
               Destroy(gameObject);
          }
     }
}

Another solution (which would allow some nice transition between tracks and other fancy things) would be having another gameobject in every scene with a script which held the level track and have the singleton set it's audioclip to that one.

Maybe we should start a thread dedicated to Unity scripts and helping out if people run into issues in Unity?
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: November 02, 2010, 04:00:18 PM »

Would it be possible to add a sensitivity slider or something? The graphics are awesome as hell, but I keep slipping up because the cursor moves way too fast.

aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: November 03, 2010, 07:03:56 AM »

Fixed the sound issue Smiley Thank you so much Christoffer Crazy

XXIIVV

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: November 03, 2010, 10:40:03 AM »

I am very happy you are working on this again! (or at least added something new) This is still one of my favourite projects of yours.

I did find that sometimes the camera shakes a liiitttle bit, which kind of breaks the otherwise very fluent game. This could be because terrain is not a 100% smooth or some blocks don't match perfectly, I don't know. But I do know that it wasn't there in the older build.

I have to say I loooove the new level. It is beautiful and it [spoiler]perfectly implements the newly learned jump from the before last level[/spoiler] :3. I did find however that the hedges at the right back corner of the level can be jumped upon and they behave like squares, even though they only cover 1 face of the square.

And in the third level (the one you can access by going through the higher door in the starting level) there is a block without collision, although it looks like you implemented it on purpose to test out something, because it gives a bit of a shortcut (I think) it's just a bit higher then the main middle part. I hope you know what I'm talking about xD

And the obstacle in the first level is the best designed thing ever. It is a conjunction of all needed jumps to progress through to the next level, without having to practice in the second level. Also, I found the shortcut to the last level ^^ (and it looks like that last square still needs a skin, the one where the door is on...)

Great work (all of your work is actually great) keep it up! Gentleman

aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: November 03, 2010, 10:45:20 AM »

You found my warp to the last level from Metatron's Tower ?  Addicted We should be friends.  Hand Metal Left

I also noticed the bumpy ground, I know it happenned from updating to Unity2 to Unity3, I will look into it Smiley Man you're crazy.

XXIIVV

PlayMeTape
« Reply #173 on: November 03, 2010, 11:09:01 AM »

I found a warp in the first map (the one you get to play if you skip the small tower in the firstfirst level Tongue) that warped me to the new level. Is that the one you're referring to?

Oh, and you're welcome Smiley. There's now a place to ask in the tutorial section if you need any more help!
Bremze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 03, 2010, 12:04:59 PM »

I had an essay to write, but now I'm going to be playing this until I can finish every level as quickly as possible without dying  Epileptic

Speedrunning go!
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: November 03, 2010, 01:00:28 PM »

Played up to the new level. I liked it a lot, the music was cool Smiley

Bremze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 03, 2010, 01:21:52 PM »

Raged about my inability to do the IJ jumps, found the hidden warp, found the shortcut on the last level. Will you reuse stuff from the unfinished level that was present in the older versions?
aliceffekt
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: November 03, 2010, 08:28:54 PM »

make a video ^______^ !! Crazy

XXIIVV

Captain_404
« Reply #178 on: November 03, 2010, 09:44:06 PM »

Out of curiosity, is it supposed to separate the mouse and keyboard controls? When I move the mouse I can't use the keys and when I use the keys I can't move the mouse.

The game seems to reset at random. Glitch or feature?

Also, I'm pretty sure that I'm having problems with audio. I'll try to record it and upload it once I get the time.

Maybe Unity is flat out broken on Windows 7, or maybe I just need to download the game again...
deathtotheweird
« Reply #179 on: November 03, 2010, 10:23:28 PM »

there's no reason unity would be broken on windows 7, so I'm guessing.....something is wrong on your end.

what are the rest of your specs? any onboard audio? or integrated video?  have the most up-to-date drivers?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic