Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:38:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsTIGCastTIGcast Official Discussion Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: TIGcast Official Discussion Thread  (Read 51101 times)
Dragonmaw
« on: September 18, 2009, 04:45:12 PM »

The topic has been up in the IRC for a while now, but here's the skinny on the TIGcast, AKA the TIGsource podcast.

If you want to take part in the TIGcast, you will need to sign up in this thread. Positions are first-come, first-serve, unless an especially notable luminary decides to guest star. There will be 4-5 people per podcast to keep the chatter and interruptions low. Once all the people who have signed up have gone, it will be on a random rotation.

Topics are totally welcome for suggestion, but if none are suggested, it will probably be completely freeform. This is a community podcast, after all, and we can get away with having no scripts.

Hopefully this will be a twice a month deal. If it turns out we can get away with doing it weekly, or if we have to go monthly, so be it. It'll be flexible.

Plans for distribution are through the main site and the forums in MP3 format.

Let the discussion begin!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 11:43:49 AM by godsavant » Logged
YagerX
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 04:52:21 PM »

There was a thread about this before, But i'm good for podcast :D

And I kinda like the 1up Yours/listen Up and Giant bomb format.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 05:40:15 PM »

I was involved with the last podcast effort. What I learned is, people need to be flexible with their schedules.

Also I'm interested.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 06:46:29 PM »

I'd possibly be interested in this.  Depends almost entirely on the topic, really.

I think it would be cool for each episode to have a really solid topic (with lots of room for tangents), and at least 1 of the "pillars" of the indie community; someone who's released a few games, and ideally been to the IGF.  They'd definitely bring a lot to the discussion and make the whole thing a lot more interesting.  Smiley
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 11:48:47 AM »

I'd be interested.

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 07:07:13 AM »

I'd be interested. If nothing else, I can do a pretty good announcer voice for the recorded intro. Smiley

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=yOl77g

Dragonmaw
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 10:28:52 PM »

Could we get a sticky so that people notice this thread some more? :3

I'm thinking that we will record the first podcast on the first Saturday of October. This means October 3rd.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 11:32:39 PM »

We don't usually sticky non-super-permanent things, but I know what you mean about trying to get more attention.  Actually, given that the Jam is coming up, I wonder if there's a way to coordinate the restarting of this with that.  Even though a bunch of us won't be going as usual, the Jam will still be a concentration of awesome, so we should take advantage of that.

Frontpaging could be an option too?  Wink
YagerX
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 12:03:36 AM »

Time zone?

Dragonmaw
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 01:44:31 AM »

Timezone will be Pacific Standard Time (PST), 4 or 5 PM.
YagerX
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 08:14:11 PM »

8:00 am Sunday for me I think...Doubt I can make it, although I think I can in december... (I have tutoring at 9)

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 08:36:52 PM »

I like the Gamers w/ Jobs Conf. Call format personally. Also, I like the idea of letting it be open, but I hope that it somewhat solidifies eventually as the on-going chemistry of at least 2 or 3 permanent fixtures can really help carry a show through the highs and lows.

Also, what is the "mission statement" of the podcast? Is it... For Developers, By Developers. Or is it meant to be a bit broader... Indie Games and all things Indie. I think the podcast would really benefit from some kind of guidance, even if it's just a paragraph, so that people know what they're getting into and it'll help the podcast stay relevant as opposed to simply devolving into witty banter.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 08:44:38 PM »

That time should work for me.

I've done a podcast before with my friends.  We generally didn't have any topic going in, but generally at least ended up talking about something.  (When you don't have a topic, the wild tangents become the topic).  I think something like this should be a bit more focused, at least to the extent that we know we're talking about indie games, so if the conversation dies down at all, someone can jump in with "What's your opinion on [Name of recent indie game]."

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 08:46:25 PM »

I like Mobcast's everyone comes in with a topic and everyone talks about them.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 10:45:36 PM »

Plans for distribution are through the main site and the forums in MP3 format.

Is it possible to distribute through iTunes as well?

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 11:33:07 PM »

I've been part of a podcast for a while over in my comic-drawing group. One method we found worked well was to invite people to record a monologue on a topic, often in reply to some existing questions, and submit it to the podcast producer and have them slotted into the episode.

twitter: @docky
Dragonmaw
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 12:20:12 AM »

I've been part of a podcast for a while over in my comic-drawing group. One method we found worked well was to invite people to record a monologue on a topic, often in reply to some existing questions, and submit it to the podcast producer and have them slotted into the episode.
This is something we did when I was doing a game-related podcast as well. If anyone wishes to do something like this, please ping me and we'll arrange for possibly one pre-recorded segment per show.

Alright, so the first recording date is October 3rd at sometime between 4 and 5 PM PST. We will be recording through Skype, so you will need it and must add me to your list before the 3rd if you want in on the first podcast. My Skype username is hammerchiseled.

Make sure to include that you are part of the TIGcast in your addition message!

Alternatively, PM me and I'll add you.

The general theme of the podcast is obviously indie games and alternative takes on gaming media, so if that sounds like your thing, awesome. It's really just a community podcast, and since our community is comprised of indies... you get the idea.

The only current solid member is me. The planned time for podcasts will be every other Saturday at 4 PM PST.

Also, I apologize for the bold and size increase, I just want to make sure I get the information noticed Tongue
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:24:21 AM by Dragonmaw » Logged
YagerX
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 01:15:07 AM »

Oh shit...Daylight saving is this week.
Makes me unavailable... Ah well, Hope you guys have fun!

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 01:37:30 AM »

I would very much like to be part of the podcast. I should be available every time. I'll even call in during Eurogamer Expo, which should be good for some immediate impressions.

twitter: @docky
Danrul
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 10:37:47 PM »

NONONONO!  OH DEAR.  I missed this.  Now I am not one of those who came first as a result of being served.  Or I didn't serve because I came.  Or I don't get served because I came too late.  You people came early.

I'll put my hand up anyway.  Maw knows I've been in the channel, and I'm game.  Giddy up.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic